A Tale of two G-17s, a 100 rounds, and a Competition Electronics timer

This is a discussion on A Tale of two G-17s, a 100 rounds, and a Competition Electronics timer within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Tactical Ice Cream would HAVE to have chocolate in it! I totally agree that a good trigger can make a world of difference in even ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Tale of two G-17s, a 100 rounds, and a Competition Electronics timer

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Tactical Ice Cream would HAVE to have chocolate in it!

I totally agree that a good trigger can make a world of difference in even an average shooter's results. I have a BHP in 40S&W that has a long, heavy trigger pull (about 6.5 lbs) that seems to stack. I was using it for pinshooting. One my fellow pinshooters thought I was a better shot than the gun. After trying his 1911's, I bought a Sig GSR 1911 that has a short, crisp trigger (about 4 lbs?), started using it and my scores have increased by 50%!

Tangle, how did you do your trigger job on the BHP? I've replaced the trigger with a C&S model, replaced the springs with a target set and polished the internals, all to no effect. The next step for me is to have the sear/hammer worked on, and I'm leery of messing up one or both.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by AutoFan
    Tactical Ice Cream would HAVE to have chocolate in it!

Tangle, how did you do your trigger job on the BHP? I've replaced the trigger with a C&S model, replaced the springs with a target set and polished the internals, all to no effect. The next step for me is to have the sear/hammer worked on, and I'm leery of messing up one or both.
    Well, I started by having a gunsmith remove the magazine safety. He is an airport security trainer and convinced me the courts wouldn't put me under the jail in a justified shooting for doing this. That reduces the trigger pull by a pound or two as I recall.

Then I replaced the stock hammer spring with a Wolff Gunsprings reduced power hammer spring. That reduces the trigger pull a bit, but you gotta be careful if you do that. I shoot my carry gun tons so if I'm gonna get a light primer strike it's gonna show up. I have yet to have a problem with it of any kind with any ammo.

While I had it apart, I polished anything that rotated, rubbed, bumped, scraped, drags anywhere when the trigger is pulled. That helps just a wee bit.

And, now I can't remeber if I replaced the trigger return spring or not, but a reduced power trigger return spring will directly reduce trigger pull weight.

Then because every time I drew the gun, the spur on the hammer cut my hand some where, I ground it off, profiled it and because lightening the hammer definitely decreases the primer strike force, I ran another bunch of rounds through it. No problems of any kind.

I'm not recommending these mods; that's just what I did to my personal gun.

Oh, yeah I forgot. I NEVER alter/polish sears!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links