How traditional/modern are you?

This is a discussion on How traditional/modern are you? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; You know, that funny post about steel vs. plastic set my mind to wander and I've come to realize that in firearms, I'm a sort ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How traditional/modern are you?

How traditional/modern are you?

You know, that funny post about steel vs. plastic set my mind to wander and I've come to realize that in firearms, I'm a sort of pseudo traditionalist. I like traditional features and platforms, but I want modern conveniences.

For example the double action revolvers I like so much are easily 100 years old in design, but I favor stainless steel models with modern rubber grips and modern sights.

On working guns I usually want synthetic and stainless, but I have my fair share of wood and blued too. My small sample really runs the middle of both trends nicely. I've got everything from old blued rifles and shotguns with wooden stocks in traditional designs to a modern flat top AR15.

That doesn't surprise me too much really, because as I mentioned my favorite guns are old designs with modern conveniences, materials, and improvements.

I know a lot of traditionalists. Blued finish and wood stocks on long guns, blued 1911s and revolvers with wooden grips... and I have to admit it looks nice and rustic.

But I'm also well acquainted with people like a good friend of mine who likes black shiny plastic and wants everything to look like it belongs in a movie.

As I sit between the XD and the M1 Carbine, I straddle both worlds however. I guess appearance just doesn't matter as much to me.

Where are you on this spectrum?

2. Remove Ads

I guess im more modern. I really like the lazer grip idea, tac lights ect. and am more of the Plastic kind of guy. But I also like some metal frames like the 1911. But being a "youngster" im more prone to choose a gun that tickles the sences. I really like S.W.A.T style tactical pistols and shotguns, but at the same time sometimes i feel like checking out an old revolver.
    I carry because I care.
    "An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject."
    "Cling to the Father and His Holy name, and don't go riding on the Long Black Train" - Josh Turner

Interesting. I carry a 1911 in stainless with micarta grips through the week and a blue single action revolver on weekends. I think that leans me pretty far toward traditional...

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Very traditional. 1911 wood grips, M1carbine, M1 Garand, I like the older look.

I like blued guns for looks but prefer stainless or plastic guns for carry

I like especially the old School blued Guns the colt royal blue or the old stainless blued

I usually end up with Rubber Grips because they fit my hand the best

I like tradition, but also appreciate classy modern designs (SIG comes to mind). What I don't like are gimmicks of any kind or too much plastic.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    I lvoe them both and would roll around in a pile of any vintage quality firearms if only it wouldnt scratch me up so bad!
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

I guess I fit the classic tradition, however If someone were to give me a 'plastic' gun I would keep it around for a plinker so I could save the wear on my classics.

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    SS for cary blued for everything else

I guess I'm a mix. I'm a big fan of synthetic stocks on my waterfowl guns, all the other long guns wear wood. Handguns are a mix of blue/wood and stainless/rubber. At the end of the day, the lever rifles and the M1 give me a warm fuzzy that the duck guns just can't match.
    "Speed is fine, but accuracy is final." - Bill Jordan

Traditional 1911 platform with a hint of modern customizing, sites, dehorn, trigger, etc, for a better carry gun.

I am not much for the tactical plastic but I respect the reliability of them. but every now and then something comes along, like say! the XD 45 that has me giving it a good look and possibly a step closer to possibly someday picking one up! but I wouldn't bet on it.

Blued for the beauty and SS for carry.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

I love all guns, however, I'm partial to the shiny ones. So I'll take stainless steel over blued every time I'm given the option.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Assistant Administrator
    Hmmm quite a mix here - but several folks I think I share ground with.

From an age standpoint very traditional - and this means mostly i guess older classic revo's etc. Plus too ''ol slabsides''.

From carry POV tho I come right into late 20th and early 21st centuries, whereby my choice is based on sound ergonomics, reliability and performance, coupled with capacity.

I am there fore a mix - aesthetics take me traditional but function over form brings me modern for carry. I want the best for my purpose regardless of age - it just happens to be modern.

I may even <cough> get a Glock eventually
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    I like both...traditional arms like the M1 and 1911, and new stuff also. My Rock River AR and DSA FAL, Benelli shotgun, and HK USPc are all enjoyable to handle and shoot.

If it's RELIABLE...I like it!
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Lead Moderator
    A bit of both. I like blued guns, own tactical hardware and gear (AR, HK ,tac vest, ect) Also wear a cowboy hat and carry SA sixguns sometimes.
    I am not a shiny gun guy. Shiny reflects, which isn't good hunting or other applications.
    I won polyer guns and traditional wood and steal too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links