Range Time

Range Time

This is a discussion on Range Time within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a question that just came to mind. How often show we as handgun owners go and practice at a gun range? I know ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Range Time

Range Time

I have a question that just came to mind. How often show we as handgun owners go and practice at a gun range?

I know that this period of time will vary from person to person. In my case I prefer to go to the gun range every 3-4 weeks to maintain my proficiency.

I would appreciate any & all input on this subject. Am I going to the gun range too often? I prefer to play it safe rather than not enough.

I look forward to your replies.
    Last edited by Pikachu711; April 3rd, 2009 at 06:43 AM. Reason: misspelling
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Go as much as you can afford..practice makes perfect.I'm down to every couple months with the current ammo situation.
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I've been considering considering going on a less frequent basis. All modesty aside, really, until I qualified for my CCW permit after only 2 visits to a gun range. This is after not firing a gun for over 10 years. I have always found firing rifles & handguns very easy. I barely missed qualifying for the "Marksman" qualification while in the USAF by very little.

I suppose I could go the range less. I may have to if the availability of ammo gets worse. I just want to know that the round or two I fire will make it to it's designated target. The thought of not practicing and hitting an innocent bystander concerns me.

It comes down to the fact that I want to feel reasonably comfortable that I want to hit my intended target.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    just shot yesterday but its all about if you can aford it
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

As often as your wallet and ammo availability will allow. You can never get too much practice, plus it is just so much fun.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

I try to go at least monthly. Went yesterday.
    Heavily Medicated For Your Protection

EdC
    Ditto on the expense issue, but I get plenty of range time as far as maintaining fundamentals go, but not nearly enough self defense shooting practice. None of my available ranges allow drawing and firing, moving and firing, etc. (and I don't necessarily disagree with those policies under the circumstances).

I do that kind of practice dry firing at home, but I really need to take another class that's geared primarily for self defense shooting. They are available, and they do cost $$$ for training and ammo.

From what I've read, and I sincerely believe it, gunfighting and range marksmanship are as alike as apples and oranges. JMHO

Range practice is fine, but in a real gunfight, you won't be standing there looking for a perfect sight picture, relaxing your breathing and gently pressing the trigger.

Sure, I go to the range too, but I'm also practicing my draw, moving off the"x" and reflexive point shooting skills in the backyard with an airsoft gun. CHEAP and I'm reinforcing the skills of what will be more realistic in a street encounter. Having recently taken Brownie's Focused Threat class, it really opened my eyes to how different range skills and street skills are. I can shoot nice tight groups at the range, but can you also consistently put shots in center mass in a under a second or two,while drawing,moving and not needing the security of a sight picture??

It only runs me $45 for the wife and I to put 100 rounds each down range. We tend to do this every other week. For a while we were just target shooting but now were working drills.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

I use to go to the range weekly, but then we moved and there was no range close by.

Now that ATTAC has open, its closer and a friend and I go every two weeks.
    About 100 rounds each with pistols and another 20 or so rounds with a rifle.

I am not sure there is such a thing as going too often. But, with ammo as it is right now that just is not practical. I personally feel that if you are going to carry you need to go about once a month which is what I do. If you can go more often great.
    JimH
    Kentucky
    S&W 442, Bersa 380, S&W 9mm M&P, Springfield XD40c
    Member: NRA, USCCA

in the warmer months, i try to go weekly. and usually get out 3 times during the winter. We shoot in a field, and the cold isn't fun to shoot in. With ammo now a days, im going to probbaly wear out my walther p22..

I used to go to the range often. What I found better now is to try to find as many matches as possible, shoot, and then return to the range to fix any errors I had. I almost always have something I need to check or improve on.

I am lucky as the closest indoor range is 2 miles away and they let you pick up brass and shoot your handloads.

VIP Member
    Practice as often as time and money will allow.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Practice as often as time and money will allow.
    Same here. Fairly lucky, there's an indoor range downtown.
    NRA member
    GrassRoots GunRights SC member
    Walther PPS .40 / KelTec P3AT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links