Need some help in replying to a letter to the editor

This is a discussion on Need some help in replying to a letter to the editor within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Good Morning All. Not sure where to put this, (moderator please move if needed.) I am looking for some assistance in replying to a local ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some help in replying to a letter to the editor

Good Morning All. Not sure where to put this, (moderator please move if needed.)

I am looking for some assistance in replying to a local letter to the editor. I am not politically correct by any means, and do not want to come off in a manner as to make us all look bad. Any help would be appreciated.

Here is the letter to the editor I wish to reply to.......(makes me mad every time I read it, at just how stupid some people can be)

To the editor: Since the election of Barack Obama, there have been stories of people running out and buying guns and ammunition. I wonder what they have in mind? What do they plan on doing with all of these guns and ammo?
    I'm sure most of these people suffer from a form of racism that I thought was cured long ago. I'm sure most of these people are on the low end of the IQ totem pole... the same ones that spend too much time listening to the likes of
    Rush Limbaugh and Bill O'Reilly.
    They do not have to worry about Barack Obama legislating gun control. First, it has to be legislated. Next it will be the public that wants it. Those on the upper end of that IQ totem pole. This will happen when we get sick and tire of school
    massacres, nursing home massacres, work place massacres, gang bangers, police getting slaughtered, children shooting their parents, and grand parents, husbands shooting wives... it goes on and on... yes guns kill... with very little help even from a child... more people are getting slaughtered here in this country every year than we loose in wars... look at the numbers compared to other free nations.
    Or is it only in this country that we can slaughter each other and call it a free nation... Already mayors from larger cities like New York or Boston have formed an alliance to get some type of gun control.

Thanks again for any help in responding to this knot head.

Conrad

Administrator
    I'm sure I can come up with something good, give me a while to let that all sink in.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Here are some thoughts. See if there's anything here you can use:

o The run on firearms and ammunition is by law abiding citizens who want to be able to defend themselves against the criminals who are the ones actually doing all this killing you are concerned about.

o In most states, to buy a gun you have to pass a federal background check, which is something criminals won't risk doing. So while criminals arm themselves by buying illegally on the street, law abiding citizens buy at gun stores and pass background checks.

o Research studies overwhelmingly show that firearms in the hands of law abiding citizens pose a vanishingly small hazard to the community at large -- far less than do the possession of alcohol, automobiles and even swimming pools. On the other hand research studies show that private citizens use personal firearms to successfully defend against violent criminal assaults over a million times a year in this country -- with no shots being fired in the vast majority of those cases. You can read the studies yourself at Gun Facts - Your guide for debunking gun control myth.

o Statistics from states who issue concealed carry permits show that permit holders are a safe and responsible body of individuals. Statistics also show that violent crime rates are significantly lower in states that issue concealed carry permits.

o It should also be noted that in most (maybe all?) states permit applicants must submit fingerprints (something persons with criminal inclinations would not do), and must pass an FBI background check (something that those with criminal records could not do). So those who hold concealed carry permits from these states, particularly the senior citizens who wish to be able to defend themselves from home invasions and street crime, are proven to have a lifetime of socially responsible behavior, whereas the criminals who perpetrate violence and killings in our society typically have criminal records that start in their teens, are known to be hazards to society, and are the ones who will buy guns illegally on the street and use them illegally for crime.

o Research into criminal thought and behavior has also determined that the ownership of firearms by private citizens is a powerful deterrent to their criminal activities. Criminals who have been interviewed by researchers consistently state that they search for victims who are defenseless, and will avoid homes and individuals on the street whom they suspect are armed and thus able to defend themselves. Thus criminals are highly in favor of gun control laws that make the streets safer for them, the criminals. See the "Criminals for Gun Control" video on YouTube at YouTube - Criminals For Gun Control Part 1 - Home Invasion for a somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but no less accurate expression of this sentiment.

VIP Member
    I'm sure most of these people are on the low end of the IQ totem pole
    Well I guess I'm on the "low end" of the IQ totem pole (although I owned all my current guns before the elections). Guess what....I'm damn proud to be there!

VIP Member
    I have a good reply:

Hey Conrad go bleep yourself!

Not very Christian, I know, but nobody's perfect.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    When did 'Communist' become a race?
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Ask the writer if it would be better if killers used hatchets instead of guns. That way we can chop up the whole totem pole.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Good Morning All. Not sure where to put this, (moderator please move if needed.)

I am looking for some assistance in replying to a local letter to the editor. I am not politically correct by any means, and do not want to come off in a manner as to make us all look bad. Any help would be appreciated.

Here is the letter to the editor I wish to reply to.......(makes me mad every time I read it, at just how stupid some people can be)

To the editor: I'm sure most of these people are on the low end of the IQ totem pole... the same ones that spend too much time listening to the likes of Rush Limbaugh and Bill O'Reilly.
    Sounds like he went to the John Kerry school of how to win friends.... Remember the comments about those poor, uneducated service personnel who had no other options than to join the military and fight our war(s)? Then came all the letters pointing out how many bachelor's degrees and master's degrees so many of those "low end of the IQ totem pole" had.

I'll stack up my degrees and where they came from, along with the membership to a distinguished scholastic society or two against this 'genius' any day.

And I am sure that the intelligence quotient represented on this board would probably outweigh the grey matter of this fine MENSA candidate.
    Last edited by miklcolt45; April 3rd, 2009 at 10:36 PM. Reason: bold and underline for relevance
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

"It is far better to keep your mouth shut and allow people to speculate about your ignorance than to open your mouth, thereby erasing all doubt." A poor paraphrase of a statement by, I believe, Mark Twain. If I replied at all, it would be the above quote. But then, why would anyone want to reply to so obvious a bigoted, ignorant and obviously inbred John Kerry clone?
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I'm afraid that I wouldn't be much help to you, as the first thing that I would do would be to challenge him to an IQ contest, and guarantee him that would emasculate him in one. Truly intelligent people don't try to base their arguments on claims of greater intelligence, they demonstrate that intelligence in their arguments.

My response would be something like this.

Since the election of Barack Obama there has been an increase in gun and ammuniton sales. One of the reasons for this is there is concern that the current administration and congress will attempt to infringe on the nations 2nd amendment rights. The people who are purchasing these guns and ammunition intend on exercising there 2nd amendment rights with them, but not with the type of intentions as you exercised your 1st amendment rights by using a pen and paper to write the original article with accusations of gun owners being of low IQ or having racist intentions.

I am most certain that there is no correlation between which news or talk radio show one listens to and their IQ.

Your assumption that the people with high IQ's will call for more gun control goes directly against the trend that has been taking place in our nation. Over the past couple of decades the people have made the calls to their state legislatures calling for less restrictive gun control. This can clearly be seen in the number of states that have adopted concealed carry laws, and castle doctrines.

It is a tradgedy that people are killed by guns. But it is not the gun that commits the crime. It is the person holding the gun with the intent and purpose to take a life. Killings have taken place since man has walked the earth. Whether Cain killed Able with a rock, stick or his bare hands does not change the fact that it was Cain who committed that sin and the instrument used in the killing is not at fault.

Guns do not kill. There are tens of millions of guns in this country, none of which can do anything without human interaction. To place the blame of human actions on a piece of machinery or tool is nonsense. If that is the approach you intend on taking in this argument then we should expect your next letter to call for the ban on automobiles, since they are responsible for approximately 50,000 deaths and hundreds of thousands of injuries per year.

If you don't like guns or don't want to exercise your 2nd amendment right, that is your choice. If I never intend on writing a book, or attending church, should I then call for the end of the 1st amendment? No. Simply because I don't want to exercise my right does not mean that I should ask you or anyone else not to exercise thier right which is granted them by God and the Constitution.
    Last edited by farronwolf; April 4th, 2009 at 01:03 PM.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    My response would be something like this.

. If that is the approach you intend on taking in this argument then we should expect your next letter to call for the ban on automobiles, since they are responsible for approximately 50,000 deaths and hundreds of thousands of injuries per year.

farronwolf , I think this is what you meant, Isn't it? Changed the word all with call and took the 'e' out of argument.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Bumper needs to get spell check on the site. Yes is should read that way.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    farronwolf:
    I would change the end of your last sentence by saying "excersize their right granted by God and recognized by the Constitution". I don't believe the Constitutions grants rights but recognizes the rights God has given us.

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Boy you bottom of the "totem pole" knuckle draggers have some good replies, but what would I know I am down there also. I wonder how good they would be if we had some education!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links