You want ammo? Show me your permit.

This is a discussion on You want ammo? Show me your permit. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have lived in NY for about 5 years and have never been asked for my ID or permit when buying ammo. But I go ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: You want ammo? Show me your permit.

I have lived in NY for about 5 years and have never been asked for my ID or permit when buying ammo. But I go to the same place all the time and they kind of know me.
    S&W M&P 340--HK P2000 V2 40SW--HK P2000SK V2 40SW--Beretta 92 INOX Vertec--SIG P220 45ACP

Phil 1:6

2. Remove Ads

Every time I go to Wally World the ask me if my ammo is for a handgun or rifle, but I never been asked for an ID!

R/S Lego

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    they only check my id to make sure i am of age to buy pistol ammo the best thing is at wall mart they ask me if its for a pistol or for a rifle
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

Could have been just checking your age.
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

Maybe with all the hoarding going on the guy was just trying to sell only to "legit" people. Not condoning it, just a thought.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Just one more reason I'll never live in NY or Illinois.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    one day i went to gander mountain looking for 357 mag rounds just looking because i was 19 but had a 357 mag the man behind the counter asked me if i was old enough and i said no then he is like you cant buy this your not 21. I looked at him told him i new the laws about having to be 21 to buy handgun ammo then walked over to the reloading area and bought everything i needed to load 357 mag ammo lol and walked out to make some of my own
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

VIP Member
    I was at Gun store in Buffalo NY a few years back. I was buying ammo and there was a sign ID needed for ammo purchase. I said to the Guy about the ID, He said that is only for the Scumbags that try to but ammo, He said You don't look like a scumbag don't worry about it.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MP45Man View Post
    Maybe with all the hoarding going on the guy was just trying to sell only to "legit" people. Not condoning it, just a thought.
    This could very well be the case. The hoarding has gotten silly, and I am quite sure some of the hoarders are speculators who may not even be shooters themselves. I would rather see a dealer ask for a carry permit or LE ID than arbitrarily limit everyone to two boxes of ammo, as some seem to do. While a carry permit or LE ID does not mean one is not a speculator, it does at least indicate one has a need for the ammo, and not just a desire to profit.

I get carded every time. Never been asked for a carry permit, but they do ask for my ID every time.

I've been told that I look young, and they usually ask how old I am... I tell them that I'm 18 with 7 years experience.

Sometimes my sense of humor is a little too subtle for some people though, in that case I just pull out the ID and let them see that I'm 25. Although, one time at wally world, the clerk asked for another form of ID because I didn't look enough like the picture on my driver's license? I guess I look THAT much different when I shave and wear a hat? All I was buying was a tube of super glue! I didn't even know that stuff called for an ID.
    Eat a moose... 50,000 wolves can't be wrong.

You guys are funny, Showing your permit to buy ammo is the way of life in Mass.
    No LTC or FIC no ammo, can't even put your paws on a box, it's all behind the counter even the shotgun ammo! Any one want to move to Mass?
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    I was at WW a couple of weeks ago and bought ammo, when the clerk grabbed the pistol ammo he said it came up on the cash register to ask for pistol permit. In over 30 years I don't recall ever being asked for any ID before.
    No kidding, and you are in NY too.

So this must be a new NY thing? I did not hear or read this was coming.

Quote Originally Posted by ccman View Post
    I was at Gun store in Buffalo NY a few years back. I was buying ammo and there was a sign ID needed for ammo purchase. I said to the Guy about the ID, He said that is only for the Scumbags that try to but ammo, He said You don't look like a scumbag don't worry about it.
    What? This is moronic.

First off I don't look like a scumbag at all. And I was dressed nice since I had just returned from a job where I was fixing some corporate executive's laptop. Also there was no such sign in the store.

Quote Originally Posted by JAT40 View Post
    You guys are funny, Showing your permit to buy ammo is the way of life in Mass.
    No LTC or FIC no ammo, can't even put your paws on a box, it's all behind the counter even the shotgun ammo! Any one want to move to Mass?
    Well I guess it is a way of life in NY now too. I only brought it up because it has never happened before so I wanted to see if it was new thing.

Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    No kidding, and you are in NY too.

So this must be a new NY thing? I did not hear or read this was coming.
    Yes I'm in Montgomery County NY. I was also told WW in my area was going to discontinue ammo sales, they have already been cutting way back on other hunting supplies. Supposedly due to a lack of sales but I don't believe it.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    Yes I'm in Montgomery County NY. I was also told WW in my area was going to discontinue ammo sales, they have already been cutting way back on other hunting supplies. Supposedly due to a lack of sales but I don't believe it.
    Lack of sales? I agree that seems hard to believe with the supposed ammo shortage. I personally have not been stockpiling, I just buy a box here and there so when I've needed it I've usually found it.

But I don't often go to Wally Mart because I hate that place and don't usually shop there at all.

Only once I stopped by a Sports Authority which carried ammo that I never heard of I asked the clerk to see the box and he asked If I have a permit ? Yes I do would you like to see it? He handed me the box and said nope. Looked it over was not impressed with ammo or price and handed it back and thanked him.
    I have been asked to see my permit when I asked to see a firearm from the sales counter. Clerk gave a quick glance and handed me what I ask for.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links