I have my first gun.

I have my first gun.

This is a discussion on I have my first gun. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My husband traded his Taurus 9mm for a SW9VE. It feels perfect in my hands. I'm really eager to get ammo and try it out ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I have my first gun.

My husband traded his Taurus 9mm for a SW9VE. It feels perfect in my hands. I'm really eager to get ammo and try it out as soon as I can. Still waiting for the next check to come in so I can afford ammo. Although the slide has stainless steel in it, the grip is plastic and doesn't make my hands feel itchy and my husband said with the right holster, the slide won't even touch my skin when carrying.

Now we're going to contact the guy who teaches CCW and get me registered and enrolled for the next round of courses he teaches, I think, over the summer.

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    sweet! congrats!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Congrats on the new pistola!

Additionally, what area of the Ozarks to you live in? I have been 'eyeballing' Southern MO, or Northern AL...but it would take a truckload of C-4 to get my wife out of this house...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Congrats, how exciting! (I'll have mine in a few weeks...can't wait!)

Good luck and be safe! I love my SW9VE, it has been 100% perfect so far.

VIP Member
    Congratulations!

You will learn to love it.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

jfl
    Congrats !!!
    It is a feeling that stay in memory for a long time; I got my first gun 60 years ago; a little Browning .22 rifle that was not new, but it was the most beautiful because it was mine.
    Enjoy, train, hand have fun. Just make sure you don't outshoot your husband when his friends are around
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Good for you...try to plan for some professional training in addition to the CCW class (which doesn't count as "training").

If you're in Missouri, check this forum as there is a lot of info. on classes, ranges, misc. resources, etc. in the state
    Missouri Concealed Carry Gun Permit and Firearms Information Website
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Welcome to a brand new lifestyle and thought process! Congratulations!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Thanks. I'm nervous and excited. I'm in Springfield, by the way

Should I go shoot it on my own (with husband) first or go to the class as a fresh newbie, never having shot a gun?

Good for you!!
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Quote Originally Posted by Naturallia View Post

Should I go shoot it on my own (with husband) first or go to the class as a fresh newbie, never having shot a gun?
    Congratulations...

Don't take offense but I would suggest shooting with your husband or someone that is able to keep the nerves in check...

Congrats on the new handgun.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Quote Originally Posted by Naturallia View Post

Congratulations on your new purchase, you're going to learn to love it I'm sure.

As for your question, I know this isn't going to be much help, but you need to do what you'll be most comfortable with. You know your man better than we ever could, would you want him to be your teacher?

I know sometimes that I take for granted that my wife is new (well, "newish" now) to firearms, and that some of the things that I would consider basic are things she's never been exposed to or cared about up until recently. I would forget things to tell her because I had forgotten them myself.

It was sort of like trying to give someone driving directions to someplace in your town that you know like the back of your hand; You know the way there backwards and forwards, you could probably get there with your eyes closed if you had to, but you have no idea what the names of the streets are or how to really tell someone how to get there without confusing them.

So what I ended up doing in our situation is having three of us (me, my wife, and one of our friends) go to the range together, this way anything I forgot to tell her he could pick up on and help her through.
    She's fairly confident in her abilities now with any of our firearms, and it made the range trips more fun and enjoyable for her as well to have two people to talk with and ask questions of.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Congrats! Can't go wrong with a S&W!!!
    Wreck'em Tech! Go Red Raiders!

I have the Signess!

Sig Sauer P225 Montage Suisse / Sig Sauer P238 / Sig Sauer P226 9mm CPO / S&W M&P9c

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links