Defensive Carry banner

Let's talk 22 pistols... Tax money is coming.. :)

3K views 30 replies 19 participants last post by  gddyup 
#1 ·
My wife and I have decided to pick up a .22lr pistol for range fun. We want to keep pricing under $300. I was seriously considering a .22 wheelgun since I do not own a revolver, but have kinda pushed myself more in the semi direction since that is what I shoot most of the time. I'll be buying guns until the day that I die so a revolver will end up in my collection at some point. So, let's look more into semis for now...

This .22 is going to be for range fun. I'd like to get something that is more akin to the "combat handgun" type. I carry an XD9 and my wife carries a Kahr MK right now. I like both the Sig Mosquitoe and the Walther P22 since they are closer in respect to our carry pieces, but I am not against something like a Ruger or Browing.

I know you guys have probably been through the .22 issue time and again, but if you could throw some ideas my way in regards to what you like and dont like about a few of the guns I listed, that would be real helpful. The Walther is looking to be the front run contender right now since I can get it locally for about $270 or so. If you have one, have fired one, or have opinions about it, throw then at me!

#2 ·
The Walthers have a bad rap and have been discussed here so has the Sig some..

Not sure how it is

I have a conversion kit for my glock which is nice havent seen one for xd yet..

The Ruger Mark II's Are the Best for my money

Now for a wheelie i want either a smith 617 or 317

You get lots of opinions search for 22's on the forum here and see what ya can come up with

#3 ·
Well - conversion kits sure seem like one good option - tho ain't been there myself. Seem like a great idea tho.

True enough - overall the P22 and Mosquito's do not seem to get a stellar write-up. It's enough to put me off!

If we leave ''combat looks'' out of the equation tho - I'd certainly suggest considering a Ruger - I chose 22/45 because of grip angle and more 1911-ish control layout. That said the Ruger MkIII seems to be getting some sales.

Browning Buckmark seems good value at $200 region - and if the two my buddies who shoot pins with theirs are anything to go by - dead reliable.

So - my suggestion, thru experience and liking it - would be the 22/45. I recommend tho fitting a Volquartson extractor for max function reliability - mine eats Fed Champion ammo readily!

#5 ·
+1 for the 22/45. P95s pictures inspired me to order the Solow mount for mine a week ago. Next project is grinding the frame for Officer's model grips. About the most fun you can have with your pants on, and same grip angle and basic controls as the 1911.

#6 ·
Duck - re those mounts. the suggestion is to use some CA to finally secure them - I never did!!! Preferred not to if poss'.

I did take great care fitting them and took up good torque on screws - with care. Knocking on wood, 1,000's of rounds later - they still stay in place. :smilez:

#7 ·
P22's quite honestly are crap. I shot a 5" barrelled one a few times, it belonged a friend. I had many failures to fire and feed that were not ammunition related, and the screw that held the weighted end on to the 5" barrel continually worked itself out. Besides that, the grip was way too small for the average male's hands. It's too short. The Sig is having growing pains, the store I work has already had to send one back for repair since it wouldn't feed fire or eject.

The Ruger MKII and MKIII, however, are proven designs and a blast to shoot. Great guns that I can't recommend enough.

#8 ·
I'm going to throw in a pitch for the Ruger 22/45 line here as well. I've shot both the orginal 22/45 (released the same time as the Ruger Mark II generation was out) and the newer 22/45 Mark III. Truth be told, I love them both, and the only difference I've noticed is the bad habit my mark III has.

My personal recommendation, get one of the stainless steel bull barrels (i like 5.5", but that's me) and enjoy. You can shoot the Ruger all day and stiff have fun at the end of the night. (and the money in your pocket is a big plus)

--JIm

#10 ·
I like the Browning better than the Ruger, but you won't go wrong with either!

#11 ·
I hafta pitch for the Ruger 22/45 also. Well worth it. Even the small bull barrel (standard) is more accurate than I can shoot.
I like the looks of the lil' P22. More curiosity than anything, but there is no way will I let go of 3 bills for one of them.... just no worth it.
If it was all steel ? that may be a different story all together...

#12 ·
If you want a new gun, the Ruger Mk II and Mk III pistols are good. As Chris and the others point out the 10/45 is a good choice as well. the Brownings are good too.
STAY AWAY FROM THE WALTHER P22 AND SIG MISQUITOS. nuthin but trouble. depending on the individual gun itself. .from what the Customers tell us. (the walthers are VERY fussy and only like a diet of CCI Mini-mags)
Don't overlook the others, like the older guns as well.Like the High Standard models (as pictured below)
This High Standard Trophy, made around 1974-76 is a replacement of a Citation I bought at the shop, which had a defective front sight. I bought each of em for 295.00, which is a VERY good deal.
Lots of deals out there, if you know what to look for.
BEST ones are the stainless Ruger Mk IIs in the 5 1/2 inch BBLs

#15 ·
I've got a Browning Buckmark and love it. .22 Semi's are fun guns to shoot. A wheel gun in .22 is too slow to load and empty casings, especially if it is a single action type. It interrupts the fun if you know what I mean. At the low price of ammo you want to be able to just blast away at your target from time to time and a good semi auto allows you to do just that. You can easily find a Buckmark for under $300. When folks ask me about what to buy for a first gun I always include a .22 as a second gun just for fun.

#16 ·
Browning Buckmark I understand is a great gun. No first hand knowledge regrettably as I stupidly let one get away a few months ago!

I did buy a S&W 622 and have found that to be a great plinking gun. Eats anything you feed it. It is a SS pre-cursor to the S&W 22A, so you'll have to look in the used market but a great gun for $225-250.

#19 ·
I have a Ruger MKII target Makes me look like a expert when I shooting. I bought a PT-22 Taurus the other day for daugther and playing. It failed to fire about 1/2 the time Its on way to factory I hope to see it back before summer fixed.

#20 ·
michael t said:
I have a Ruger MKII target Makes me look like a expert when I shooting. I bought a PT-22 Taurus the other day for daugther and playing. It failed to fire about 1/2 the time Its on way to factory I hope to see it back before summer fixed.
Mike.. Th efailure rate on those is VERY high.. We've sold em, and bought em back, even though they've 'gone back to the Factory"

We've had several in a row, that failed. (ftf, fte, stovepipes etc)
i'd go back, get something else, or just get a merchandise credt til something better came along..:biggrin2:

#21 ·
Awesome responses everyone. I really appreciate your feedback and opinions. Looks like I'll skip the Sig and Walther since there seems to be so many problems with them. It all comes down to range time and practice. I want something that I can shoot at the range and have fun with. I don't want to be playing with it every other mag to get it to shoot. So, it looks like I'll be looking into the Ruger or Browning for my .22 fix. :yup:

#22 ·
I'm perfectly happy with my Sig Mosquitos. I had one of the first ones available when they were first available, and a second in the OD green when those were made available.

I have a third threaded barrel version on order.

With proper ammo (which is what I've found most customers skimp on), mine have been 100%. Bare lead, like many 22 autos, is a no-no.

#23 ·
gddyup said:
Awesome responses everyone. I really appreciate your feedback and opinions. Looks like I'll skip the Sig and Walther since there seems to be so many problems with them. It all comes down to range time and practice. I want something that I can shoot at the range and have fun with. I don't want to be playing with it every other mag to get it to shoot. So, it looks like I'll be looking into the Ruger or Browning for my .22 fix. :yup:
Gddy, Come to the store some time and I'll go thru a lot of the 22s we have in stock with you. We'll get one just right for YOU..Heck, you just may be surprised at what you really feel comfy with.. Let me know when you're coiming, and I'll check what we have both new and used..

#24 ·
CLASS3NH said:
Gddy, Come to the store some time and I'll go thru a lot of the 22s we have in stock with you. We'll get one just right for YOU..Heck, you just may be surprised at what you really feel comfy with.. Let me know when you're coiming, and I'll check what we have both new and used..
Thanks Class! I appreciate it! I should be in the market by the first of the month if everything goes according to plan. I have the "go-ahead" from the boss so it's just a matter of finding out what the bottom line looks like once the taxes are done. As soon as I get the good word, I'll get in touch with ya and we'll come up with a plan. Thanks! :danceban:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.