Walmart no longer selling Ammo to Canadians?

This is a discussion on Walmart no longer selling Ammo to Canadians? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I live in a border city near Canada. As of yesterday there was a sign at my Walmart that said "EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY: NO RIFLE OR ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar

I live in a border city near Canada. As of yesterday there was a sign at my Walmart that said "EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY: NO RIFLE OR PISTOL AMMUNITION SALES TO CANADIANS"

I wonder what this is all about?

This begs another question...how would they even know who is from Canada?

If it is that they are asking for ID to buy ammo, I wouldn't buy there in the first place.

Perhaps the Canadians should not frequent WW? Let them speak with their wallets.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    This begs another question...how would they even know who is from Canada?

If it is that they are asking for ID to buy ammo, I wouldn't buy there in the first place.

Perhaps the Canadians should not frequent WW? Let them speak with their wallets.
    Here in NY the WW cash register asks the clerk to make the buyer show CCW permit for pistol ammo and drivers license for all other types.

Senior Moderator
    Must be a local thing.

We dont get many Canadians down here in Arkansas.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Likely people were crossing the border to buy ammo. While it's not illegal to bring ammo into Canada, it is illegal to leave the US with it without a export permit and you could have your vehicle seized. Homeland security patrols the parking lots of big gunstores near the border looking for Canadian plates, then they pull over the vehicles or radio the plate # to the border guys to search the car. It's not just ammo either lot's of stuff is restricted from export and we have very nasty words I can't use here to describe some of their antic's.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Siafu View Post
    Here in NY the WW cash register asks the clerk to make the buyer show CCW permit for pistol ammo and drivers license for all other types.
    And what if you don't have a CCW permit. Say for example you have a lever action rifle chambered in .357 or .44 mag. What about those with 9mm caliber rifles?

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    And what if you don't have a CCW permit. Say for example you have a lever action rifle chambered in .357 or .44 mag. What about those with 9mm caliber rifles?
    Dunno but I can confirm it. I was asked for my pistol permit when I bought some 9mm ammo the other day from one of my local gun shops. I never buy ammo at Wally Mart but it must be a new NY thing.

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    Likely people were crossing the border to buy ammo. While it's not illegal to bring ammo into Canada, it is illegal to leave the US with it without a export permit and you could have your vehicle seized. Homeland security patrols the parking lots of big gunstores near the border looking for Canadian plates, then they pull over the vehicles or radio the plate # to the border guys to search the car. It's not just ammo either lot's of stuff is restricted from export and we have very nasty words I can't use here to describe some of their antic's.
    I can't sell a manufacturing machine to someone in the U.S. if I know they plan on shipping the machine out of the country or I go to jail myself. Not the company I work for - me. Even sending a machine manual and in some cases, sales literature fall under U.S. export laws.

Had a guy come in recently who wanted to buy a machine and wanted to know if we knew what he had to do to ship it to Syria. He said they planned on making decorative lawn ornaments. I wonder if Homeland is watching that guy yet.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

VIP Member
    A couple of quick points: 1) I was unaware there was an export restriction on ammo; but why not.

2) I was once unable to buy a box of 22 lr because I didn't have a driver's license from that state, so I guess it makes sense that it would be similarly "wrong" to sell to a Canadian.

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post
    Had a guy come in recently who wanted to buy a machine and wanted to know if we knew what he had to do to ship it to Syria. He said they planned on making decorative lawn ornaments. I wonder if Homeland is watching that guy yet.
    I wonder if they were making those new exploding lawn ornaments found on many roadsides in the Middle East?
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Trying to get a logical argument through the head of the average Wally World employee is an exercise in futility.

I can't say I blame them. It is just easier to follow the prompts as they appear on the cash register screen.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post
    I can't sell a manufacturing machine to someone in the U.S. if I know they plan on shipping the machine out of the country or I go to jail myself. Not the company I work for - me. Even sending a machine manual and in some cases, sales literature fall under U.S. export laws.

We have guys trying to buy stuff for their tour in Afghanistan getting screwed around, talk about throw the baby out with the bath water...

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I say let the Canadians get ammo in their own darn country. Leave ours alone!
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Siafu View Post
    I live in a border city near Canada. As of yesterday there was a sign at my Walmart that said "EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY: NO RIFLE OR PISTOL AMMUNITION SALES TO CANADIANS"

What about French-Canadians?

If so, why wasn't sign printed in both English AND French.

Lack of dual-language signs could lead to an international incident! I'd be careful out there Wally World!

All joking aside, I have not seen a sign like that, but I live a multi-hour drive from the nearest Canadian border so that won't be a problem here.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Hmmm I had some French Canadians in the shop today. They seemed pissed because we didnt treat them like they were better than us. I guess they thought we should make a big deal that they were French Canadian. Go figure.

So what, Canadians cant get ammo in Canada?
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links