Duracoat Durability

This is a discussion on Duracoat Durability within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just bought a Citadel fullsize 1911. They are made in the Phillipines and are imported by Legacy, pretty much the same as Rock Island. ...

Thread: Duracoat Durability

Duracoat Durability

I just bought a Citadel fullsize 1911. They are made in the Phillipines and are imported by Legacy, pretty much the same as Rock Island.
    This thing shoots like a dream, period. The only thing I don't like is the Parkarized finish. I had read up on the the Duracoat process and am positive it's something I can do. My only question is, how does it hold up? I'd like to carry this gun someday and will the Duracoat hold up to to being in the holster? So, if you have used Duracoat on something how has it help up so far? If I'm happy with the pistol I may do my AR. Oh, I'm looking into the Matte Black finish for the 1911. Pics would help! Thanks folks!!!
    God Bless America!!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Derrin33 View Post
    I just bought a Citadel fullsize 1911. They are made in the Phillipines and are imported by Legacy, pretty much the same as Rock Island.
    This thing shoots like a dream, period. The only thing I don't like is the Parkarized finish. I had read up on the the Duracoat process and am positive it's something I can do. My only question is, how does it hold up? I'd like to carry this gun someday and will the Duracoat hold up to to being in the holster? So, if you have used Duracoat on something how has it help up so far? If I'm happy with the pistol I may do my AR. Oh, I'm looking into the Matte Black finish for the 1911. Pics would help! Thanks folks!!!

I have done several firearms with Duracoat (air brush appllied) and all have held up very well even the hard use guns I have finished like this CZ 82 in matte black that has around 2000 rounds through the gun and has been carried a lot since I applied the finish. Still looks as good as the day it was applied 2 years ago. Its all in the prep of the gun before you apply the finish. I think most who have had bad experience with Duracoat or any other finish just did not prep the gun or apply the finish correctly.....in other words opperator error! I carry and shoot all my guns and the Duracoat finishes are all holding up well. I have used most every product on the market and finished somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 guns and each one still looks great. The friends whos guns I finished are all still happy and thats hard to acheive sometimes.

project for a friend....SIG P6
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

B52
    Pirate is right, the prep process is very important. Duracoat is very tough...

It is as the others posted "very tough" and as a body/paint man I was surprised how easily Duracoat covered... just a little goes a long way! I sprayed a 50 year old Star 22lr pistol that the blue was almost gone and had a few rust pits. I also sprayed my 995 as Hi Point doesn't spend much time or money in the finish department.

I found THIS Duracoat step by step helpful.

“Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    It is as the others posted "very tough" and as a body/paint man I was surprised how easily Duracoat covered... just a little goes a long way! I sprayed a 50 year old Star 22lr pistol that the blue was almost gone and had a few rust pits. I also sprayed my 995 as Hi Point doesn't spend much time or money in the finish department.

I found THIS Duracoat step by step helpful.

Great looking 995. I have one I Duracoated also. Great plinker and HD carbine.

When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Links