Can you carry a loaded shotgun or rifle in your car?

This is a discussion on Can you carry a loaded shotgun or rifle in your car? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just curious what other states allow and don't allow. Here in PA we can only carry loaded sawed off shotguns and SBRs in our cars. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you carry a loaded shotgun or rifle in your car?

Can you carry a loaded shotgun or rifle in your car?

Just curious what other states allow and don't allow. Here in PA we can only carry loaded sawed off shotguns and SBRs in our cars. Long guns have to be cold to transport.

2. Remove Ads

In MI, You cannot have loaded long arms in your vehicle. Short-barreled shotguns/rifles are against the law.

However, long arms that are between 26 and 29 inches in length are technically pistols in the state's eyes. These must be registered like any other pistol. Since they're technically pistols in the law's eyes, you can have one loaded in your vehicle, as long as you have your Concealed Pistol License.

Crazy, eh?

I think theres a thread already going about this. But to answer your question: Here in NY im pretty sure ANY rifle or shotgun must be unloaded and kept seperate from ammunition during transport.
    Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent theme. These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the overall beauty of the post.

VIP Member
    In Texas its against the law to NOT have a loaded shotgun in your vehicle.

......ok, not really...

In Texas there are no laws against having any type of long gun in a vehicle, loaded or unloaded, in passenger area, plain view, doesn't matter
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

No long guns in the passenger compartment in MO, but I think it's mostly one of those tack-on charges when screw something else up first.

Im pretty sure its legal to have one loaded and in the car or truck in SC.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Quote Originally Posted by jbone View Post
    I think theres a thread already going about this. But to answer your question: Here in NY im pretty sure ANY rifle or shotgun must be unloaded and kept seperate from ammunition during transport.
    *Technically* a long gun should also have a trigger lock on it and in a case, in your vehicle.........????

But as long as you have the weapon (unloaded) and ammo separate, I doubt a LEO will pester you about it being in a case.

One thing I would HIGHLY recommend is if an officer pulls your vehicle over at night, turn your dome light on before the officer gets out of his vehicle, you instantly show the officer you have nothing to hide ..........just a thought about transporting a weapon
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Here in Washington State, it is illegal to have a loaded long gun in a vehicle. Nothing in chamber, inserted magazine, or attached to the firearm.

Here in PA we can only carry loaded sawed off shotguns and SBRs in our cars
    Huhhh???
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

Northwest part of God's Country in Montana
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmac00 View Post
    *Technically* a long gun should also have a trigger lock on it and in a case, in your vehicle.........????
    This comment reminds me of those that feel a firearm, be-it a long gun or a handgun, has the potential of jumping off the table or the shooting bench and shooting up a McDonald's all by itself.
    A trigger lock is no substitute for safe gun handling!
    In Montana it is not against the law to travel with a loaded firearm in the cab of your vehicle. As a matter of fact, there are very, very few restrictions on how you can transport your firearm! Loaded, unloaded, on the dashboard, in your lap, in a gun rack or any other way you can think of as long as it doesn't endanger the life of anyone else you may come across!!
    I personally don't use gun locks. I don't have any in my house and I throw them away if they come with a new firearm I purchase! They may work, but they don't get put on my firearms! I just don't want them and I don't have any.
    Although a little big to maneuver, a shotgun or a rifle in my opinion is a lot more effective as a SD Weapon than a pistol. I tend to think the intimidation factor is a little greater! If I get threatened and can get my hands on my AR or my Remington 1100, I'll sure as heck use it!! I don't discriminate, all my firearms are capable of being a Self-Defense weapon!!
    In a crisis you don't rise to the occasion but rather default to your level of training!

Forgiveness is between them and God, it's my job to arrange the meeting!
    -John W. Creasy (Man on Fire)

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    In Texas its against the law to NOT have a loaded shotgun in your vehicle.

......ok, not really...
    I know you are joking, but that is a gun law that I could support!!!!!!
    NRA life member.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Texas and Louisiana (the only two states I frequent) have no prohibition against storing a loaded long gun in a vehicle, provided it is not in plain sight (TX).
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    not in plain sight???? in Texas????

where'd that idea come from???

VIP Member
    The Utah legislature recently passed a bill allowing ANYONE (that can leagally own a firearm) to carry a loaded gun in their car without a permit. (IIRC) But I don't know if the Governor has signed it yet. (He is very pro gun)
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    Texas and Louisiana (the only two states I frequent) have no prohibition against storing a loaded long gun in a vehicle, provided it is not in plain sight (TX).
    that provision is only for handguns
    long guns are not included under the plain view law

Sec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:
    (1) on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control; or
    (2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control.
    (a-1) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun in a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control at any time in which:
    (1) the handgun is in plain view; or
    (2) the person is:
    (A) engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic;
    (B) prohibited by law from possessing a firearm; or
    (C) a member of a criminal street gang, as defined by Section 71.01.
    (a-2) For purposes of this section, "premises" includes real property and a recreational vehicle that is being used as living quarters, regardless of whether that use is temporary or permanent. In this subsection, "recreational vehicle" means a motor vehicle primarily designed as temporary living quarters or a vehicle that contains temporary living quarters and is designed to be towed by a motor vehicle. The term includes a travel trailer, camping trailer, truck camper, motor home, and horse trailer with living quarters.
    (b) Except as provided by Subsection (c), an offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.
    (c) An offense under this section is a felony of the third degree if the offense is committed on any premises licensed or issued a permit by this state for the sale of alcoholic beverages.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links