Airsoft... Fun or Carelessness - Page 2

Airsoft... Fun or Carelessness

This is a discussion on Airsoft... Fun or Carelessness within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Thread lightly....

View Poll Results: Airsoft Wars for Adults and Kids

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Grow Up *******!

11 11.58%
  • It's okay, just move to a better location.

44 46.32%
  • The lady was Obama-psycho!

16 16.84%
  • I like pie!

24 25.26%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Airsoft... Fun or Carelessness

Thread lightly.

I think you need to find a place where you won't have any collateral damage,I know a guy that has land in the country and every sunday is paintball war day,every other day I can shoot my real guns but on sunday the gun range is closed and they have a buncha people show up for battle in the dry creek bed behind his house,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I have no problem with people or even kids playing with airsoft or airsoft wars as long as they are smart about it, which can vary from situation to situation. That would mean picking a locale that's safe and a supervised environment, which it seems you have going on.

I find most of those irrational adults who hate guns to the point of going on wild tangents whenever the subject comes up or just having issue with toy guns are just going to breed more kids who will grow up to be just like them. I know, I speak from first hand experiences on this. If the kids don't end up just like them, then they might veer away and become a criminal. The problem stems from my magical mysticism encased around what is basically an inanimate object, a machine, a sporting good, and assemblage of parts, and while the original intent was to kill, guns, a lot more of the time, are used in sporting, hunting, and shooting paper at the local gun range rather than performing ill intent against another human being, but of course, none of that mundane stuff would ever make the papers, as the sensationalism arising from someones death draws more sales. It's all in the education of the difference between a water pistol, an airsoft/bb gun, and that which you chose to carry for personal defense.

As for me, I don't own any airsoft stuff, though I have been thinking about using a Paintball gun for painting guitar bodies with neat splatter paintjobs.

I like what you're doing... but I will say this. Anytime an adult is playing with kids without another adult or several other adults around, it's asking for trouble. In a he-said-she-said, you'll lose every time. Besides, as a parent, if some grown-up was wanting to hang out with my kids I would think that was kinda creepy.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

Look, there's nothing wrong with what you're doing or trying to do, but Janq has a valid point given today's societal lunacy.

Heck, when I was a kid we didn't have airsoft. We had REAL BB-Gun wars.

But back on point...stick with Janq's advice...it's sound. Protect yourself first. Fun comes later with strings attached.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I see nothing wrong in what you did. So someone
    complained..I bet there was a lot of other kids who
    had a great time that evening.

Maybe, just move to another better location. Thats
    what I voted on the poll.

When I was growing up we played this with bb guns
    and I have been shot a bunch of times.

I can't believe we're actually having this discussion! Signed permission slips? Legal protection? Fear of impropriety? For playing a GAME with kids in your neighbor hood. Shear insanity! What are we coming to as a society?

<RANT OFF>

Sorry, I had to get that out of my system. I think what you're doing is great. A good constructive outdoor activity like that builds character, and getting kids off the couch is always a good thing. Despite my belief that everyone needs to toughen up a bit and quit whining, we must work with what we are given. Move to a place where you won't have collateral damage or bystanders, get signed permission slips from parents, and have another adult (preferably another parent) with you for 'game' day. That should cover all of your bases, and let you keep the fun running!

Good luck and shoot straight!
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    I can't believe we're actually having this discussion! Signed permission slips? Legal protection? Fear of impropriety? For playing a GAME with kids in your neighbor hood. Shear insanity! What are we coming to as a society?

<RANT OFF>

Sorry, I had to get that out of my system. I think what you're doing is great. A good constructive outdoor activity like that builds character, and getting kids off the couch is always a good thing. Despite my belief that everyone needs to toughen up a bit and quit whining, we must work with what we are given. Move to a place where you won't have collateral damage or bystanders, get signed permission slips from parents, and have another adult (preferably another parent) with you for 'game' day. That should cover all of your bases, and let you keep the fun running!

Good luck and shoot straight!
    +1
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

1. The other parents DO play along, on occasion.
    2. I do NOT ask to play with them. This all started with a simple group of kids giving me an "ambush" when coming home from work one day. Next thing you know, we have about 14 now playing and hanging out at the house.
    3. I have two kids of my own who are in on this... one 15, one 10. My daughter plays along; age ten.
    4. Creepy? I suppose I get what you're trying to say, but in mixed boys/girls and adults, I don't find it creepy. Some of you sound like I'm asking them to come sit on uncle happy's lap. Gees!
    5. Yes, agree - move to a safer, more isolated spot and the chance of a stray killer airsoft bb might not be as dangerous. rollseyes
    6. This castrated kid who went crying to his mother was yelling "that fat guy just shot at me with a real gun mommy." :-) BTW - It was NOT a real gun. rollseyes again
    7. The kid who did go crying, indeed, kept riding his bike in front of the other kids trying to run over them, then he disappeared. While the other kids were shooting at me, I returned fire and that's when a stray killer airsoft bb hit a sign next to him. IT DID NOT HIT HIM !!!!!
    8. Mother came at me yelling "come here, come here, I want you to come here now. Perhaps she thought I was an older kid until I turned around. Funny thing, she almost slapped me and had her hand raised at me until I turned around and faced her and her 4' husband........ they quickly backed off the physical aggressiveness and went for the "we're calling the cops, we're calling the cops - is that a real gun?" stuff.

And finally, I was not going to sit there and argue the 2nd Amendment rights with this crazy woman. She was out of control at the time, I made an apology to both the parents and to the kid who felt he was being shot at, and went back to my porch.
    Boomer Sooner!

You cannot control another person's response to your actions. So, consider this: if it can be construed as you contributing to delinquency of those minors, it very likely will, if someone gets hurt. Particularly if the parents haven't expressly given permission for their participation. At least one parent has now shown "colors" and what he/she is prepared to do, to "protect" the child. It's all a part of the wussification of youth ... but such responses are real.

I recall growing up near a family of kids that had a trampoline. They allowed a few neighborhood kids to participate, but only if the parents authorized it in writing and first met the parents of the trampoline kids. Seemed silly, but it protected them from such stupidity as you describe.

Yes, permission slips. Why? Because of the insanity to which some people are prepared to go. It is what it is. As the "crazy woman" proves, there's no controlling knee-jerk responses. Permission helps spread the load of responsibility for acceptance of the risks, not merely on you, alone, as leader/participant.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

As far as Creepy goes. If your kids are playing along there is no problem. It is no different than throwing a ball around with your kids and there friends
    Although I would like to quote your Original Post,

"BTW - my selection in the poll was #2 - just move to a safer, less public location and have fun popping the kids in the butt! hee hee"

HAHA!!

the thing that scares me most. when i was a kid by the age of 11 you could perform alot of basi tasks. things that have to be taught nowdays in the military. when i was a kid i could tend to most minor wounds, navigate with or without map and compass, and utilise camoflague. now days you have alot to do to find a kid who can do all three of those things.

oh and yeah ya i'll go with the relocation idea. i've had to do it a few times before though more often because the township or county offices decide to put a building right where i play airsoft.(though once i had to relocated because i missread the map and was on the wrong persons property.
    Last edited by bobcat35; April 7th, 2009 at 09:16 AM. Reason: addenum
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

Administrator
    Your intentions are admirable.

Unfortunately and sadly your great intentions are not too smart these days.

Remember that old saying..."The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."

You need to be incredibly careful and cautious of anything that you do with any minors these days without prior parental consent.

Even getting "oral" prior parental permission is just not enough.

You need to have parents put their signatures on a dated, written document/disclaimer before you goof around with their children.

As it stands right now any future trouble that any of those kids gets themselves involved in - that is in any way gun (or even Airsoft related) is going to come right back to bite you.

It might not be justified or fair but, it is the cold, hard, reality of today.

Quote Originally Posted by bgriffin70 View Post
    4. Creepy? I suppose I get what you're trying to say, but in mixed boys/girls and adults, I don't find it creepy. Some of you sound like I'm asking them to come sit on uncle happy's lap. Gees!
    Hey, I hope you didn't take offense to my comment, it really wasn't meant that way. Let me be more clear. If you were in my neighborhood and doing this with my kids, I would want to know who you are and why you're an adult playing with my kids. Bad people use all sorts of tactics to get to kids -- Candy, video games, lost puppies, you name it. Does he have good intentions or bad, what do I know about this guy?

Child predators use confidence scams to get closer to kids.

So, if my kids are out playing airsoft with the guy who lives two houses down, I want to know what's going on. In a vacuum, a person has to ask, "why is this full grown man hanging out and playing with 10 year old kids?"

It's odd.

More information changes the reaction considerably. You come and tell me your motivations and what you're doing and talk to me a bit and suddenly I might start viewing you more as a scout-troop leader, and less like a creepy guy. Even so, I think if you walked up and we shook hands and chatted a while, I would STILL recommend getting at least one other adult involved in these games. If only to protect yourself from any accusations. Kids say things, and some of your neighbors likely have "believe the children!" bumper stickers.

All the people bemoaning what we've become as a society are free to do so. But even groups like the scouts require more than one adult present. For a reason. For a very good, real reason.

It's easy... make sure Kids ask first. Make sure there's another adult. Not unreasonable.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

I was pretty close on the poll...after all, I do like pie, but the woman was nuts. I say don't worry about it. Plus, it will drive her crazy and that is kind of amusing in a sadistic sort of way.

In any case, what did the police say when you called? I don't think you have mentioned it, but I would probably take the police's recommendation. After all, they have been notified of this incident and what is occuring.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links