Airsoft... Fun or Carelessness

Airsoft... Fun or Carelessness

This is a discussion on Airsoft... Fun or Carelessness within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So here's the dilemna... have a TON of young teenage to as young as 12 year olds that have somehow adopted me as their play ...

View Poll Results: Airsoft Wars for Adults and Kids

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Grow Up *******!

11 11.58%
  • It's okay, just move to a better location.

44 46.32%
  • The lady was Obama-psycho!

16 16.84%
  • I like pie!

24 25.26%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Airsoft... Fun or Carelessness

Question Airsoft... Fun or Carelessness

So here's the dilemna... have a TON of young teenage to as young as 12 year olds that have somehow adopted me as their play along, "kid at heart" friend to play airsoft with.

Have set down with all of them, explaining the dangers of eye injuries, even distributing safety glasses / goggles to each of them.

For months now, all has been well and seems like every kid in the neighborhood is now buying airsoft stuff. Even some other adults in the block have joined in on occasion.

Now for the obvious BAD part of the story... today we're playing as typical, when low and behold, a stray bb lands close to some kid ( emphasis - it DID NOT hit this kid ), but he runs crying to his parents, parents come screaming over at me, threatening to call cops, etc. etc.

Then the mother goes in to a long heated statement to me that I'm setting a bad example for these kids that guns are toys, that they will all eventually shoot each other or take a real gun to school and how guns should be banned...blah, blah, blah.......
    Before he/they (complainers) had a chance to call local PD, I did so myself, and just explained what occurred and what I was threatened with as far as her saying she was going to call the police on me, and that I was carrying around a REAL gun!
    Yep, looks real, AR-15 looking gun, but until today, neighborhood has enjoyed a good laugh and the parents enjoy seeing the kids having something to do other than vandalism, drugs, etc.

So I propose to you this........ am I an overgrown kid who needs to grow up, or does anyone else here enjoy being a kid at heart once in a while?

I apologized to the kid who thought I was shooting at him with a real gun and demonstrated to him and his parents that it was indeed a TOY. I invited him to play along, but he said he was scared of all guns because "mommy says guns are evil and kill people."
    I did not argue, I would have gotten nowhere with this family.

Have agreed we need to take the airsoft play OUT of the neighborhood and onto a private field or place away from cars, houses, people, etc.

Wife thinks I'm rediculously immature, so this doesn't help.
    Long story. Just curious how others thoughts are.

End of my rant (for now).

BTW - my selection in the poll was #2 - just move to a safer, less public location and have fun popping the kids in the butt! hee hee
    Boomer Sooner!

In todays litigious world adults playing around as a 'kids' amongst other real kids (aged 17 and lower) is a fools folly IMHO.
    Exceptions being same at organized professional sports facilities such as a paintball field or Airsoft center.

Exactly what you describe as related to a third party observer was bound to happen eventually.

- :|
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Pfft. Airsoft is great fun. I tend to play with the clear ones myself. It avoids confusion with real guns. I have my Walther P22 and P99 that look real except for the orange tips though. But my other ones are just the cheapo clear ones from like sports authority for 20 bucks.

Me and my buddy love having spur of the moment Airsoft battles, I usually win because I have the only automatic. LoL. Drive up assaults at random times is always a hoot.

Ms lady in your story is just one of those freaks that is going to be begging for your protection if the SHTF. I would just move to a more secure location. My neighborhood is very relaxed when it comes to things like airsoft, guns, go karts speeding around, little kids are their 50cc dirt bikes, etc. Just a laid back place. People don't bother each other.

Only thing I would say (I'm sure you do) but just make sure that the kiddies understand the difference between Airsoft and real guns and that real guns are not to be treated in the same manner as Airsoft is, etc, etc. Besides that... GET SOME!!
    AT3 (O-Level) United States Navy - NRA Life Member
    "Molan labe! Just try... I'll show you the strength of my conviction... and I'll sleep well that night..."

Yeah, it's actually made me feel good to talk to these kids and now we even call each other out when we see their finger on the trigger! It's amazing how smart kids are, there are just some that would rather not waste their time having anything to do with them.

Anyway, we've talked about how to treat these toys as if they're real when carrying... such as safety on keeping the 'booger hook' off the trigger until you know your target, ensuring eye safety (goggles or safety glasses) - and if anyone gets caught violating the safety rules, they're out of the game until the next match. The kids have grown to respect those rules, and that I do feel proud of.

Some of these kids talk about how their parents have real guns in the home, but never even knew or heard about safety talks. I talk safety to them all the time. And absolutely yes - the guns in their home are talked OFF LIMITS each and every day I see or talk to them!

Janq, you do make a good point that obviously came to light today... the ever growing, lawsuit happy world. My two kids love to bring their friends over, and the next thing you know, I have as many as 15 kids in my yard all asking "can you dad come out and play with us?" ha ha

Hey, at least they're being active, getting exercise, staying out of trouble and maybe learning a little something about safety. Ahhhh........... how I think I was born in a wrong time. I miss Mayberry !!!!!
    Boomer Sooner!

I think that it's great that you are teaching the kids about guns, safety,etc. You might even be a role model/ father figure to a kid that needs one. I feel for the poor kid with his A/Hole mother. Moving the game to an empty lot or something might be a good idea.
    I used to take kids fishing,stuff like that can mean a lot to kids that wouldn't otherwise get the chance or have adults to talk to. IMO, it's pathetic that any adult would think that kids playing with play guns is bad in any way. Whatever happened to playing Army, Cowboys - n -Indians, or Cops -n- Robbers ? All that I ever wanted to be when I was a kid was a soldier, and then I was.. Keep it up, don't let some miserable hag take the fun from the kids,or you either.

Was the kid playing with you? Or was it an "innocent bystander"? I think with any game that involves "projectiles" (includes baseball and such) you have to pay some attention to where they may land and that the people it may hit will not appreciate your fun. So move it to a sports field or a safer place like that. Involve the other parents.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

Quote Originally Posted by PNUT View Post
    Whatever happened to playing Army, Cowboys - n -Indians, or Cops -n- Robbers ?
    Seriously! No joke. When I was younger we kids loved playing "war". Not so much cops and robbers. We would have two teams and if you got shot you were on the honor system to lay down a play dead until the end of the round. Kind of like real life online games now that I think about it. We would play with Nerf guns and Super Soakers we didn't know about Airsoft and there were smaller kids playing with us. Our whole street would come play war. Kids from 13 all the way down to 6, boys and girls. Was great times and we even had field medics that could make you better. But if you shot them then you had to go to prison for war crimes. Oh we had such fun.

Hell I lived in Ken Caryl Valley behind the Hogback here in Colorado. We were all kids as I said 13 - 6. And we would go out on exploring parties out on the Hogback all by our lonesome in groups of 2 or 3 just for fun. We would find sticks and sharpen them with our pocket knives and throw them into the ground and for defending ourselves from mountain lions (never encountered one, lol) and we would get good and lost.

All we had to do to find our way home in the evening was follow the sun until we could see our houses. How are children supposed to learn if you show them everything? We encountered Rattle Snakes. We knew to avoid them already because one of our friends had been bitten by one and we all saw how much pain she was in (she was taken to the hospital and was fine) so we all knew the sound that they made because my friends dad caught one in his "snake catcher" PVC pipe with fishing line loop, simple but effective, and he showed us all so we knew what sound they made. If we heard one rattle at us, we simply avoided the area it was coming from, always got our trusty knives out just in case, we thought we were ready for anything. Even the geek kids that played video games then would come on exploring parties. We would all get hurt climbing rocks and falling down in ditches ní stuff. Did we go cry and run to our parents for help when someone got hurt? No sir, we all had our belt bags (fanny packs, they were cool then) and had our own little aid kits on us. If we ran out of aid supplies, we would help the injured man back to the nearest of our garages and grab the first aid kit there, patch him up, and head back out. But we learned. We learned what was stupid. What was safe. We learned how to work together to overcome obstacles, such as climbing up the mountain. And when our silly friend thought he could jump the gap and failed horribly fell and broke his legÖ were we scared? Yes. Did we panic and run home leaving him there to get help? No, he was a boy scout, had us get sticks and we made a splint with those sticks and his shoelaces and carried him back to his house. We werenít yelled at, we were told we did a good job helping him home.

Children today rarely grow up like this. Even when we moved into the city the kids would still go on exploring trips. Get good and lost, find our way home and all that good stuffÖ not so much today though huh?

What do young children do now days? Sit at home, get fat, play video games. No getting hurt anymore. No wandering in the mountains or climbing up the cliffs. No scrapes, no cuts, no injuries or broken bones, no lessons learned. And a kid with a pocket knife??!!?! OMG THAT WOULD BE TOTALLY CRAZY!! I believe this is to blame for the astounding lack of common sense that seems to be plaguing our country today.

Is it the childrenís fault? Absolutely not! They donít know any better because they are denied the ability to learn. Parents are too lazy to make their kids go out and play with the other neighborhood kids. They wonít take the time because they are too busy. Seriously? You so busy you canít take 20 minutes out of your day to go on a bike ride with your kid? Or to toss a ball around in the back yard? It makes me so mad when I see a kid get dropped off at school who is way overweight when I know he lives less than 2 blocks away and there is not lots of traffic in our neighborhood... make him walk! Itís just disgusting. And you are right! Those kidsí parents should be thanking you for giving their children a way to play safely and have fun while getting exercise and learning to work together. Good on you sir, good on you.
    AT3 (O-Level) United States Navy - NRA Life Member
    "Molan labe! Just try... I'll show you the strength of my conviction... and I'll sleep well that night..."

Yeah we played "war" all the time too as kids. Even on up to young teens. It was great fun, a lot of exercise and so far NONE of my friends have shot anyone but this "poor" example as this crazy woman thinks in your story.

In fact, of all the friends I played war with, I'm the only one that has a pistol permit. Although most of them are still in NJ and no one there has a permit or a pistol. A few of them have shot guns for hunting, but that is it.

I think its a good idea that you are teaching them gun safety.

But I also agree that in this day and age, any adult playing with kids is a dicey proposition. As you learned it is not the kids, it is the parents. All it takes is one moron parent and the police will be crawling up your butt looking for something to charge you with to quell the din. It is sad but it is reality.

I grew up playing war too. We all also had Daisy BB guns and spent many hours out in the Virginia woods shooting at tin cans and such. I can't say that none of our group ever shot anyone. Several few of them wound up going to a far off place called Viet Nam. Some shot people while there and two gave their lives over there.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I remember playing war, cops and robbers, and a few other games involving toy cap guns and squirt guns. I played may 1-2 hours of video games on the weekends, and when I wasn't grounded for doing something stupid, I was outside. This was when video games were slowly advancing from the 2D graphics and bleep and bloop sound effects (1990-2000) to more realistic. The most memorable of that time was when I was living in Pensacola Florida. My friends and I would go out into a large wooded area behind my house and build forts, and we would play capture the flag using our cap guns and toy rifles that made sound effects. It was so much fun! I never got to own a BB gun as a kid though.

It sure does bring back good memories and some bad ones too LOL!
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Have fun, be safe, and if you're going to get more organized (like hitting a field and organizing teams) you might want to get permission slips. :
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

VIP Member

I like pie!!!!!!!!!!!!

Voted I like PIE.....I'm hungry what can I say...

anyway......this lady can take a flying leap, you're doing those other kids more good than her attitude and anti-gun crap ever will
    You're teaching them safety and how to have a good time without stealing, vandalism, drinking, drugs, etc. Yeah, you had an airsoft pellet land near a neutered kid (thanks to his mom). That in itself was a learning situation in several ways.
    I say keep doing what you're doing and be safe about it. Educate all the players on how to handle anyone entering the war zone (like an all stop code word, that when said by anyone ALL action ceases and address the "intruder")
    have fun and be a safe role model
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

I donít like being around anyone under the age of 18 without their parents.
    Iíd move it to an official air soft facility, so your covered by their insurance, and youíll have other adults supervising..

One accusation of impropriety, or worse an injury, and an attorney representing the kidsí parents would make your life miserable.

Sorry for the bad news, but JANG is right, we live in a lawsuit happy world.

BGriffin,

Let me be clear, I do not think your actions were bad nor that you are doing a bad thing by action nor intent.
    You're just being the 'cool' dad of the neighborhood. Most every neighborhood has one of those guys.

Just keep in mind that you need to protect yourself not from the kids but their parents who often times like any other adult do not think rationally or without excess emotion when faced with a 'situation'. Further there are a good number of nut bags walking around these days too who will say and do whatever to anyone regardless as well as call the po-po on a person in a heartbeat and even file restraining orders too. You name it and there is a person who has done it.

If I were you I would not allow any children to 'play' such games amongst my property without parental permission. Verbal to my face would be okay enough though real businesses require signed permission for same simply for reasons of liability limitation.
    When I was in VA I worked as a head ref for a major paintball field for 4 yrs. I cannot tell you how many times so wing nut parent would come up with crazy talk when their little Johnny called to say he twisted an ankle or Suzy during a Big Game event was crying because she took a hit to the hand (wear gloves!) and the shell cut her skin resulting in some very minor bleeding.
    So called adult people can be dumb as hell. :|
    Protect yourself.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Beware of legal liability. This is why many places have insurance. At the very least, get parent signed permission slips for everyone 18 and under who is participating or watching. Have some mandatory written safety rules (goggles, heavy clothing, no fooling around... and enforce them) Choose a site away from anyone else or any property.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links