A good reason for more than one pistol

This is a discussion on A good reason for more than one pistol within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well now I find myself in quite a pickle. I need to order some parts to repair my Kel-Tec P-11 and I am without a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Well now I find myself in quite a pickle. I need to order some parts to repair my Kel-Tec P-11 and I am without a pistol until the parts come in. That is the only pistol I own and I am back to carrying my Kershaw clip on knife for protection. For a quick minute I wondered why some people owned more than one pistol in the same caliber. This would be one of them I see. As soon as I get back to work I think I will be getting a Para Carry.

Distinguished Member
    Always fun to buy more toys. Personally, I tend to diversify my calibers rather than focus on a single caliber. Different purpose, different caliber. Diversity in what's available in ammo is a positive. But, I've got a friend who has, w/a couple of exceptions, nothing but 40's. And he has maybe a dozen. Different strokes.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

I absolutely believe that CCW carriers should have more than one weapon available for carry. For Ex: my S&W may one day not be available for me to carry. As it is my primary every day carry piece, without it I would have to rely on my other handguns for my daily protection.

If I didn't have those other weapons, I'd be defenseless until either I got my 6906 back or I went and bought something. (plus the mandatory 10-day wait)

For those that don't know, there is a very simple mathematical formula for determining the number of guns that you actually need.

x = n+1.

Where n equals the number of guns you currently own.

Hey, numbers don't lie. Feel free to share with your wife if you think it might help.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    For those that don't know, there is a very simple mathematical formula for determining the number of guns that you actually need.

x = n+1.

Where n equals the number of guns you currently own.

Hey, numbers don't lie. Feel free to share with your wife if you think it might help.

that is awesome

I have never shot any handguns besides my 9mm Kel Tec and a snub nose .357 so I do not know if I would be comfortable shooting anything other than the 9mm. But I think I see another pistol in my future. Probably the PA carry 9.

Dang I might need another smaller compact pistol.

Yeah, that's the reason I have more than one 1911
    Or so I tell myself.

That mathematical formula is exactly correct.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member
    BTW, don't own a Para but I've looked at them kind of seriously. Do your research before you buy (a mistake I recently made). I think there's some definite anit-Para guys out there so it might be worth reading a bit to see if there's valid reasons or it's a Glock vs anti-Glock thing; Noisy, entertaining....but doesn't effect life one way or the other.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

I don't ever travel without taking two pistols of the same caliber and extra mags for each, and plenty of ammo.

Stay armed...get that Para...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    BTW, don't own a Para but I've looked at them kind of seriously. Do your research before you buy (a mistake I recently made). I think there's some definite anit-Para guys out there so it might be worth reading a bit to see if there's valid reasons or it's a Glock vs anti-Glock thing; Noisy, entertaining....but doesn't effect life one way or the other.
    I have been doing tons of research. I see "para finish sucks, Kimber is great Kimber sucks etc etc." It is hard for me to sift through all of it. I know that I do not want a thicker poly for comfort reasons. I think I will stick with the caliber I have been shooting, the 9mm. So please if there are any hyper links to 1911 style 9mm under $1000 reliable pistols out there I would like to see them. I would prefer no hammer or beavertail, if that is the correct term for it.

VIP Member
    Sadly I only have about 20 guns to choose from. Guess I need to find some more!

Quote Originally Posted by chains1240 View Post
    I have never shot any handguns besides my 9mm Kel Tec and a snub nose .357 so I do not know if I would be comfortable shooting anything other than the 9mm. But I think I see another pistol in my future. Probably the PA carry 9.
    HAHA if you can shoot a snub .357 without cringing on every shot you can shoot ANY caliber out there IMO. Hats off to you if it's as accurate as running .38 specials through it too.

You are already shooting 2 of the hardest kicking weapons out there.

jfl
    I am of the "one caliber" thinking. I have 9mm's, my wife has .38/.357's .... for carry; keeps the ammo inventory decent.

Another reason to have more than one sidearm, is that if you ventilate a BG, your gun is going to be taken by the police for several weeks/months/years. That could be the time when the BG's buddy don't like you ...
    I carry a G-26, but my G-19 fits in the same holsters and handle the same way. I strongly believe that all my carry guns should have the same operation, which has many, many thousand of rds training.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob P. View Post
    I absolutely believe that CCW carriers should have more than one weapon available for carry.
    Thats why I have three cc weapons that are in my signature!
    Nick
    Glock 19 /CT Laser
    Glock 26 /CT Laser
    Kel Tec P3AT .380/CT Laser

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links