i want this 22

This is a discussion on i want this 22 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; i haven't shot a 22 rifle in a long time but after watching this vidio about the marlin mod. 60 i really want one,thay look ...

Thread: i want this 22

i want this 22

i haven't shot a 22 rifle in a long time but after watching this vidio about the marlin mod. 60 i really want one,thay look like lots of fun and accurate to boot,

YouTube - Marlin Model 60 at 80 Yards 60S Rifle .22 LR
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

2. Remove Ads

A good solid .22 is something everyone should have in their collection, I've currently been enjoying the heck out of my Henry .22, such a nice shooting little rifle.

Cheap to shoot, and usually buy too.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    A good solid .22 is something everyone should have in their collection, I've currently been enjoying the heck out of my Henry .22, such a nice shooting little rifle.

Cheap to shoot, and usually buy too.
    Yep my Henry is a boat anchor but is a tac driver... he only shot a tad over 1 MOA not that impressive....
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

VIP Member
    It didn't show, but I'll bet he wasn't shooting off handed.Big difference in shooting from a bench. I still like my little Marlin 75c that I have had for almost 25 years.

I picked up a Marlin 60 at Wally World for $150 a few months back, great gun, fun and cheap to shoot.

I realise It's private property,but when I shoot I like to be able to see anything at least 25 yards to the side and have a clear view behind my target
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I realise It's private property,but when I shoot I like to be able to see anything at least 25 yards to the side and have a clear view behind my target
    Good point!

Consider also, a Henry lever action. One of my favorites.

Miss my Ruger 10/22 sometimes...due to ammo prices now

Quote Originally Posted by Gibber View Post
    Consider also, a Henry lever action. One of my favorites.
    I'm thinking about either a Henry lever action or a Marlin 39A, is there a reason you would go with one over the other? (I would get both, but my wife would throw a fit.)

Quote Originally Posted by wagglebee View Post
    I'm thinking about either a Henry lever action or a Marlin 39A, is there a reason you would go with one over the other? (I would get both, but my wife would throw a fit.)
    I have a Henry, and honestly have never handled a 39A (but I do have a Marlin 336), I personally like the straight stock of the Henry's for lever action rifles over the pistol grip of the Marlins, but that is a personal choice. The Marlin is longer too, but I can put rounds out of my Henry where I want offhand at 50 yards easy. I'd go with the better deal. FWIW, Henry's can be had under $250, and looking at gunbroker 39a's are in the $500 range.

However, in a SHTF scenario, I'd take a lever action or bolt action tube fed .22 over one that needed magazines.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    I have a Henry, and honestly have never handled a 39A (but I do have a Marlin 336), I personally like the straight stock of the Henry's for lever action rifles over the pistol grip of the Marlins, but that is a personal choice. The Marlin is longer too, but I can put rounds out of my Henry where I want offhand at 50 yards easy. I'd go with the better deal. FWIW, Henry's can be had under $250, and looking at gunbroker 39a's are in the $500 range.

However, in a SHTF scenario, I'd take a lever action or bolt action tube fed .22 over one that needed magazines.
    Thanks for the response.

I checked out the prices for the Henry lever actions and it is certainly better than the Marlin 39A (it looks like the Henry Golden Boy is in the same price range as the 39A).

I definitely prefer lever or tube to magazines in a .22 rifle. Ruger 10/22s are great rifles, but they are a pain in the a$$ to load.

I have 2 of them. They go bang everytime and are pretty accurate as the video shows.

EDIT: many times when Im out on the property, the Marlin is what I carry rather than a pistol. I just like it.
    Last edited by AllAmerican; April 6th, 2009 at 10:30 PM.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Nice gun, nice shooting, but really nice to be able to shoot like that in your driveway...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    I just purchased a Savage Mark II BV. Can't wait to get a scope mounted and take it out for a little R&R
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Links