They sell them a Glock and send them on off

This is a discussion on They sell them a Glock and send them on off within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The take down for the Glock is a poor design for a new shooter. too easy to forget to triple check the chamber before take ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: They sell them a Glock and send them on off

Lead Moderator
    The take down for the Glock is a poor design for a new shooter. too easy to forget to triple check the chamber before take down.

2. Remove Ads

When I bought my first Glock, the salesman didn't tell me much about it. However, two deputy sheriffs happened to be there and told me all about Glocks. They explained the safety mechanisms, etc in great detail.

Thanks to the Deputies, my G36 is now my main CCW.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyGunner
    IMHO anyone who just sells a Glock to a person who has no idea how this handgun works. Gives them not a word of advice. Is just sending them off to get hurt killed or some one else hurt or killed.
    People have a constitutional *right* to keep and bear arms.

If I'm comfortable selling to them, then I can help them exercise this right.

If they ask for assistance with their purchase, from maintenance to operation, I happily provide it - but I'm not going to assume every customer needs a walkthrough nor will even appreciate it.

Sorry, I don't feel responsible for what the end user does with said firearm.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    The Four Rules are meant to be taken in context.
    And now that they're not in real terms by the Cooperites online and off, I'd argue they do far more harm than good.

Every gunshop I've ever been in violates Rule 2 with their handgun displays. Do all those guns suck too?
    The 1911 case has special dispensation. Honest.

But that Glock case, it could be sealed in lead and those guns would find them a way to go off.

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    Maybe we confuse "what is morally required" with "what is morally desirable". People of course have rights, and they can buy any gun they can pay for that the law allows. The salesman is not responsible for training people. On the other hand, we are also people with obligations to one another. Suppose it is a woman, scared of an ex boyfriend/scumbag. Buying her first gun. I wouldn't send her off with a Glock, Lord knows. Simplicity is a compact revolver DA only. But more important is some sort of training. The salesman can't train her, but he can go on and on about the necessity of it, and recommend a course or local teacher. That sort of thing. The type of gun is way down the list. People sometimes want to buy security, and end up buying a gun.
    God Bless.
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

Quote Originally Posted by rfurtkamp
    The 1911 case has special dispensation. Honest.

But that Glock case, it could be sealed in lead and those guns would find them a way to go off.
    Egads did rfurtkamp and I finally agree on something?

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    Glocks are hard to beat!

Membership Revoked Array HappyGunner's Avatar

Angry The Brady Bunch says thank's

Quote Originally Posted by rfurtkamp
    People have a constitutional *right* to keep and bear arms.

If I'm comfortable selling to them, then I can help them exercise this right.

If they ask for assistance with their purchase, from maintenance to operation, I happily provide it - but I'm not going to assume every customer needs a walkthrough nor will even appreciate it.

Sorry, I don't feel responsible for what the end user does with said firearm.
    Yep thats just what the Brady Bunch would say. Give us more reasons to fuel our anti-firearm movment.

What? Okay HappyGunner I'll play. What should rfurtkamp have said?

"Not only do I show them how to strip and clean the gun, I also warn them to never put ammunition in it unless they're immediately going to shoot. And then I give them a big hug and send them home.

"Of course I check up on them every night to make sure they don't have too much ammunition and haven't actually fired that thing or taken off the state approved trigger lock. I do this for all my customers, takes 18 hours a day.

"I also tell them what church to attend, who to marry, and when to bathe."

See this is a problem Some think that the rest of us need to be baby sit ala the brady bunch .. I get enough of that crap everywhere else

At least my gun shop shows me the respect i might have a brain and i like it that way..

If someone goes out and buys a new gun and doesn't know squat about it and doesn't Ask shame on them .. The world doesn't need to hold everyones hands

Yep thats just what the Brady Bunch would say. Give us more reasons to fuel our anti-firearm movment.
    So I'm supposed to treat my customers like children in the nanny state, so the people who support the nanny state and don't want me to have guns in the first place will be happy?

I'm very, very confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    Egads did rfurtkamp and I finally agree on something?
    It happens. ;0

Membership Revoked Array HappyGunner's Avatar

Talking Hey I just posted a thread

What anyone reads into it or thinks about it I could care less I just posted a thread.
    ============

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    See this is a problem Some think that the rest of us need to be baby sit ala the brady bunch .. I get enough of that crap everywhere else

At least my gun shop shows me the respect i might have a brain and i like it that way..

If someone goes out and buys a new gun and doesn't know squat about it and doesn't Ask shame on them .. The world doesn't need to hold everyones hands

Assistant Administrator
    Personal responsibility is what is needed, such that if someone just goes to ''buy a gun'' they should ideally have thought it thru and then think it thru further after purchase. They have the right to buy - and hopefully have the smarts to follow thru safely.

I have to confess tho, that if I were doing the selling, I would at very least inquire as to whether the buyer was aux fait with their new aquisition - or wanted any info. I certainly do NOT see a Glock as a first gun recommendation - nothing against platform per se - but to me it is no intro gun at all.

My thinking is based purely on a wish to not see someone hurt themselves or another, thru ignorance, when five minutes of my time only, might have precluded such.

The car dealer analogy works but only up to a point - the gun is a special case IMO.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

What anyone reads into it or thinks about it I could care less I just posted a thread.
    ============
    Well on that Note lets consider it Closed

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links