They sell them a Glock and send them on off

They sell them a Glock and send them on off

This is a discussion on They sell them a Glock and send them on off within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have watched as people selling firearms in many stores around here sell them Glocks and send them off. Many are people who have never ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: They sell them a Glock and send them on off

Membership Revoked Array HappyGunner's Avatar

Angry They sell them a Glock and send them on off

I have watched as people selling firearms in many stores around here sell them Glocks and send them off.

Many are people who have never handled any type of handgun before. I have heard them asking what is a good handgun for me to buy to defend myself. The answer I keep hearing is the police carry Glocks so I think a Glock would be the right choice for you.

Then they pull out some Glock and say here it is. The people look at it and say ok I will take it then the paper work is done and they ask the buyer if they need Ammo.

They sack up the Glock and Ammo. and send them off not one word about how to handle the glock.

IMHO anyone who just sells a Glock to a person who has no idea how this handgun works. Gives them not a word of advice. Is just sending them off to get hurt killed or some one else hurt or killed.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    You have a drivers license. You walk into a Corvette dealer and say"i want that one". You jump in and drive off. You have never driven anything besides a VW. SO ??? We cannot make everything idiot proof. Who'd want to ?? ----------

Wow, that's amazing.

My local gun place here tries their best. For instance, when I bought my XD, the salesguy pointed out all the features, and asked me questions to guage my familliarity with firearms. (This one's striker fired, let's make sure you can rack the slide back. Ok, do you know what this is on the back? do you know how the grip safety works, etc etc...)

I mean, even most car dealers these days will not let you off the lot until they feel you understand the features and the workings of the car. It should be no different for a firearm.

EDIT: At least every time i've bought a car, this has been teh case. Who knows, maybe I just look like an idiot or something.
    יזכר לא עד פעם
    Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am.
    Remember. Never Again.

Lead Moderator
    There are good and bad sales people out there. Also, lots of newbies who know nothing about guns want a Glock, cause they are so cool and ________uses 1 in his movie.
    I don't feel a Glockis a good beginners gun either, but probably no worse than most other non safety semi autos.

Quote Originally Posted by RSSZ
    You have a drivers license. You walk into a Corvette dealer and say"i want that one". You jump in and drive off. You have never driven anything besides a VW. SO ??? We cannot make everything idiot proof. Who'd want to ?? ----------
    +1 ya have to use some common sense and read the manual too not everyone can hold your hand all the time..

Sure the sales man should give them a crash course but when you buy at some of the non gunshop places what do you expect

Some times ya just have to be responsible for your self

Moreover, for guys anyway, I have been at shops and guys come in all macho and no absolutely nothing about firing a weapon. They are pointing all over the place and everything. However, if I was salesmen I would at least go over the features with them. This type of purchase is not the type you go over how to shoot, safety and ammo with them. This knowledge should have already been aquired or you are taking the class soon.

P.S. step on the Corvette gas pedal like it's VW if you want too.....
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

It's not the vendor's responsibility to take care of their customer's business. If I walk in and ask what's a good gun, and the salesman says Glock, and I say okay I want to buy the Glock, that's my perogative. Now it would be good customer service to answer any question like "How should I clean my Glock?", but as the merchant you have other things to do if they don't bother to ask you.

Now if the store was refusing to tell the customer anything about the product, that's poor salesmanship and I sure wouldn't shop there. I like my questions answered.

Administrator
    I believe in personal responsibility.
    I also believe that it's a nice additional bonus if a salesperson offers some quick basic instruction with any product that they sell.

Like going into Radio Shack & having the salesperson say:
    "Hey do you want me to show you how to program this remote real quick?"
    I mean that's a nice offer but, I could figure it out on my own.

and....It sure should (in no way) be a requirement.

Like if you go in and buy an above ground swimming pool...the salesperson has no obligation to tell you to make sure that all the little kids that go in your pool know how to swim.
    He does not send you off to drown your family & friends by failing to inform you that it's possible to drown underwater.

If there is one thing that everybody should already know - it's that a firearm is capable of killing.
    I also don't believe that GLOCK firearms are inherently more dangerous than any other brand of firearm.

A gun salesperson SHOULD make sure that a manual (for the firearm purchased) is included with the firearm.
    Everything function & safety related is in the manual.

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    I also don't believe that GLOCK firearms are inherently more dangerous than any other brand of firearm.
    agreed
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    BTW guys,don't get me wrong,I don't believe that a Glock is a starting out shooters/CCW'ers weapon either. But I don't want to start another buracracy that the taxpayers can't afford. The Dept. of Gunstore Police ??? No way !!-------

1952 - 2006
    I have no sympathy for people who will buy a gun and have no understanding on how it operates and are unwilling to seek out some training in how to use it.

As Jeff Cooper said, "Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician."
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

The Corvette analogy doesn't work... everyone generally knows how a car works and as you step the gas peddle and the tires start smoking and the horizon starts coming at you at an alarmingly fast rate, people know instinctively to either slam on the breaks or at least lift your foot off the gas.
    With a Glock - you have no sign of impending danger and no warning. The result is that its shockingly easy to put a bullet through part or parts of your own body... generally hands arms or legs.
    http://www.thegunzone.com/nd.html
    http://www.thegunzone.com/timm-nd.html
    Locally a police officer of many years has recently sent a Golden Saber through his leg...
    I know personall 6 individuals who have done the same sort of thing.
    Any handgun that has you break one of the 4 basic rules of firearm safety just to field strip - SUCKS BY DESIGN. If you are at home wanting to clean your gun - there is nothing in your house that you want to aim at and pull the trigger - is there?
    Glocks - Good idea - Retarded execution of design.

1952 - 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by George Hill
    Locally a police officer of many years has recently sent a Golden Saber through his leg...
    I know personall 6 individuals who have done the same sort of thing.
    Any handgun that has you break one of the 4 basic rules of firearm safety just to field strip - SUCKS BY DESIGN. If you are at home wanting to clean your gun - there is nothing in your house that you want to aim at and pull the trigger - is there?
    I have to agree with you George reference the 4 rules. Bad design.

I also know of a LEO here in Las Vegas who during an undercover drug buy, borrowed a buddies Glock 27 and carried it 'Mexican style' during the drug bust down the front of his pants. While one of the uniforms was searching him to maintain his cover, he reached for the Glock, which fell down the front of his pants a bit, the uniform reached futher down to extract it and hit the trigger with his finger sending a Corbon 135gr JHP through the UC officers left testicle and into his thigh. He is now on permanent disability. Bad juju.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Quote Originally Posted by George Hill
    My XDs take offense to that statement. Besides, I've layed out my floor plan and colored in what directions are safe to shoot in, in the event of an intrusion, so I keep all my guns pointed in the optimal direction for dryfire, storage, pictures, and maintenance.

The Four Rules are meant to be taken in context. Every gunshop I've ever been in violates Rule 2 with their handgun displays. Do all those guns suck too?

When I bought my G19, the salesguy spent over an hour with me going through the finer points of the gun and manual, especially the Glock approved method for cleaning it. It made a big difference about how I treat, carry and handle my weapon. I wish more shops did that since it can make the difference between a positive and negative ownership experience.

That being said, most car dealers I've bought from have done the same thing. While all cars work the same at a basic level, each one is different inside and it pays to educate the buyer about how each function is different than their previous car. This helps to prevent a lot of accidents due to unfamiliarity with the new vehicle, at least until they're off the dealer's lot and they grab their cell phone!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links