Hit me hard today!

Hit me hard today!

This is a discussion on Hit me hard today! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was walking through the airport today and walked past several t.v.'s on the same channel, I think CNN or something and hearing loud and ...

Thread: Hit me hard today!

Hit me hard today!

I was walking through the airport today and walked past several t.v.'s on the same channel, I think CNN or something and hearing loud and clear that 2,205 American soldiers have died as of today.

It just saddens me and I wanted to reflect and remember them and honestly in many ways I feel guilty that I am not over there with them and I have this crazy ideal that I could actually protect them or at least I badly want to and feel almost helpless not being able to.

I know Combat Carry is of the highest support for our troops so I felt like I could share my frustration and disbelief that we have lost so many.

I know that this is nothing compared to past wars but 1 fallen solider is to many.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Any number of fallen Soldiers is not too many, as long as they have not fallen in vain.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Assistant Administrator
    1 fallen soldier is too many.
    Amen to that Ti. Oh yes.

Indeed I shuddered a ways back when they announced the 2,000 had been exceeded. Each and every guy lost is one Mother's son - a Father's son - a guy with perhaps a wife and kids and friends who cherish him (or her).

I feel the greatest sadness in many ways for those folks - the ones who actually bear the loss and have to carry on.

Perhaps one really major thing that really hurts is the way so many have perished - the IED's and the like. This somehow always seems worse than the loss in ''pure'' combat - if one can make the distinction. The ''purpose'' factor seems diminished.

And let's not forget also the guys who have been terribly wounded, with a life ahead seriously depleted in quality.

They are in my thoughts daily - and were I a much younger man I would willingly be by their side - brothers in arms - doing my bit.

I salute them.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

DC Founder
    I feel the same way. It POs me that I am too old to go. I certainly don't feel too old. I tried to get back into the reserves during Desert Storm and was one year too old back then. They should really consider starting an "old farts brigade"....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

1952 - 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumper
    They should really consider starting an "old farts brigade"....
    Count me in. The last thing those BG's want to see is a bunch of curmudgeony old farts, who've already fought one war, headed their way.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Yah I'd go, best weapon ever. Once they saw this old Fat Fart climbing up the side of a building with a sniper rifle they would all die laughing. Definatly deadly. Seriously though, If they would have let me go I would have been there and gone back over and over.

Hey, same here guys. I wanted to get back in after 9/11 but I was likewise too old (Also slightly out of shape).
    Dave

“The highest obligation and privilege of citizenship is that of bearing arms”. General George Patton—US Army

Vis et Veneratio

"So this is how democracy dies: to thunderous applause." Actress Natalie Portman as Padme in Star Wars Revenge of the Sith

Quote Originally Posted by dpesec
    ...Also slightly out of shape.
    What do you mean out of shape... Round is a shape, right?

At least that's what I tell my family :)
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Senior Moderator
    It is sad; kinda punctuates the thought that freedom isn't free.

Cmidkiff,
    True, so is pear-shaped. Wouldn't matter anyway, I was too old.
    Dave

“The highest obligation and privilege of citizenship is that of bearing arms”. General George Patton—US Army

Vis et Veneratio

"So this is how democracy dies: to thunderous applause." Actress Natalie Portman as Padme in Star Wars Revenge of the Sith

War is war... regardless of how long the fight is. I felt like that also when I completed my service time and guys were still there fighting. Well, all I can say is I hope civil war does not break out. There are a few things man can count on in this life, Life, Death and War...
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

OD*
    Godspeed Soldiers.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

I was a battery commander during OIF I, and had the opportunity to lead 110 of the finest men America has to offer. I thank God every day that they all came back, and God bless those heroes that have made the ultimate sacrifice in the service of their country.

Three of my favorite military quotes.

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” – George Orwell

“ Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You?... I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide, then question the manner in which I provide it. I would prefer that said thank you, and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand to post. Either way, I don't give a d@mn what you think you are entitled to!” - Jack Nicholson (COL Nathan Jessup) A Few Good Men

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing is worth a war, is worse… A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself... - John Stuart Mills, February 1862

DH
    "Speed is fine, but accuracy is final." - Bill Jordan

Sponsored Links