Why aren't merchant ship crews armed?

This is a discussion on Why aren't merchant ship crews armed? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just read the article about the American crew who were hijacked off the coast of Somalia by four guys. Seems to me one good assault ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why aren't merchant ship crews armed?

Just read the article about the American crew who were hijacked off the coast of Somalia by four guys. Seems to me one good assault rifle could have prevented it. The article says that merchant ship crews aren't allowed firearms. How come?
    NRA, IDPA, GSSF & GSSA member
    Certified Glock Armorer

Administrator
    They are armed with water.
    They are allowed to use High Pressure Fire Hoses to defend themselves by attempting to wash armed pirates off the deck.

I just heard that on TV yesterday.

Mainly because of laws in countries where they pull into port; many of them have very strict firearm laws, and it would be a massive hassle for them to deal with, as well as the outside chance of being accused of gun smuggling.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I figure it has to do with two things: liability and foreign ports of call.

Remember, once you get to within twelve miles of shore, you are no longer in international waters and the local law of the land is in effect. Since merchies are civilian ships, I suspect they have no practical right to be armed in the vast number of countries they visit. (One would think that various maritime law treaties would have covered this, but I wouldn't be willing to bet a tuna sandwich on that...)
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    Mainly because of laws in countries where they pull into port; many of them have very strict firearm laws, and it would be a massive hassle for them to deal with, as well as the outside chance of being accused of gun smuggling.
    Well that's an easy fix, we don't send our stuff to them. They can come get it if they want to buy it.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Insurance.
    I don't see why weapons can't be in a locked cabinet while in port.
    The solution to the pirates is a few dead pirates.
    Two Blackwater type security forces ride on the ships while in dangerous waters.
    Any inconvenience to the ship is outweighed by the months some ships have been held and the ransom paid.
    Small boat gets within 200 yards. Gone. Sunk. End of story.

Anyone near my age will remember airline hijackings. They were almost a daily news story. Pay a ransom and everyone goes home. Why did they stop? We started killing hijackers.
    Reward crime, and get more crime.

International Maritime Law says no weapons.....

Really sad, if they'd pay me, I could take my FAL and a case of 308. and keep them away for hours with no problems......
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

I'm thinking there are enough guys willing to pay to go on a pirate "safari hunt." Wander around dengerous waters looking helpless and wait for the prey (pirates) to come.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

So do the ships need a CCW permit...Carrying Concealed Water?

Arm the ships...time to start shooting back. Guns stop crimes.

Also time to change Somolia (all of it) into a huge new port...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Sounds like some ingenious contractor should get to work on a joy-stick controlled water cannon system to be retrofitted onto the boats. Some operator can sit safely in a secure room and blast away. I am sure a great American mind can come up with a way to shoot high pressure water "shells" that would obliterate a pirate dow (sic).

Additionally, since it is ok to shoot water at them, why can't we shoot frozen water at them. Say, 500 pound blocks of ice from about a mile away.

Sounds like they need to get some diesel fuel or oil and a match and just set them up in flames when they pull aside the ships. A good flame thrower will go a long ways compared to a stream of water.

I did see on the news last night that one of the training facilities in our country for merchant marines is now training extensively with firearms and tactics of their new members. In the past it was just skimmed over, but now they are getting real range time.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

The owner of the ship was on the air and he said his crews are "Ordered not to put up any resistance." "That is just a way to get people hurt."
    "Don't be afraid to see what you see.
    -Ronald Reagan-

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    What is really needed here are letters of marque. We don't need "unarmed merchant ships," we need privateers who can, by maritime law, kill pirates.

Oh, and retrofitting a couple of Phalanx CIWS systems off of decomissioned Perry-class frigates onto any American-flagged merchantman...
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

I WANT TO KNOW,******WHERE ARE THE F-18s???******. They could be there in minutes and "SOLVE" the problem permenantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Astute View Post
    I WANT TO KNOW,******WHERE ARE THE F-18s???******. They could be there in minutes and "SOLVE" the problem permenantly.
    Busy elsewhere.

And, when you consider the Somali coast is the size of the Atlantic Coast of the US...they'd have to be fairly close to get there in time to do anything.

Personally, I like the "Letters of Marque" idea; set up a few "merchant ships" (anyone ever heard of "Q-Ships" used in WW1?) armed to the teeth, and sail 'em around hostile waters.

Wouldn't even need CIWS's...I think a couple of Dillon Aeros would be a lot cheaper, and just as effective.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links