Stole two guns out of my car...Raleigh NC

This is a discussion on Stole two guns out of my car...Raleigh NC within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I lost two Glocks yesterday a G22 and G23 Brother I feel for you. That is a hard hit. I hope you get them ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stole two guns out of my car...Raleigh NC

So I lost two Glocks yesterday a G22 and G23
    Brother I feel for you. That is a hard hit.

I hope you get them back and that the guy or guysa who stole them are caught and put away.

But, there is another example why not to ever leave guns in a car, always maintain control of your firearm. And, another reason not to play that infuriating game called Golf.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Sorry to hear. What had the cops to say about all this. Did they give You a hard time ?.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    There is no truly safe place. I have sustained ONE vehicle burglary, and it was at the main police station; not in some remote, dark corner of the parking lot, but the first parking spot by one of the major gates, with plenty of lighting. They got a multi-tool, and my battery.)

This is like saying to keep the gate shut, after the horse already got away, but don't leave firearms unattended inside motor vehicles, and of you must, for short periods, use a truly stout lockbox, if your trunk is not secure. (Most trunks are not secure.)

This may seem harsh, but I have little sympathy for the OP. A golf game is not worth the risk of leaving guns in a vehicle.

A word about pawn shops: Stay away! At least, stay away for a while. The best hope of recovering stolen property is for it to be pawned, but you need to give the bad guys time to pawn the stuff. A pawn shop does NOT want to loan money on something, and then lose that money when the police seize the item(s). If you walk into a pawn shop and say that X and Y were just stolen from you, and shortly thereafter a guy walks in to pawn an X and a Y, he will be turned away. Then, your X and Y are more likely to end up on the black market, instead of a pawn shop.

Depending on local privacy laws, a pawn shop will probably not divulge if they have recently purchased or loaned on something, anyway, but pawn tickets are accessible to the police, and in fact, in some areas, at least, one copy of every pawn ticket goes to the local police, to be checked against known stolen items. At my PD, all pawned articles are entered into the computer, which matches serial numbers and other relevant data with things reported as stolen.

This has been a definite lesson learned. I honestly believe it was a random hit but one I will never do again. Rexster is right on, before I received his message I called a bigger pawn chain. The manager receives a list from the PD daily and both of my guns were on Saturdays list. He said that before they pawn the guns they run the serial number and if they appear on the "list" they will call the police and hold the guns.

In response to the police... the initial officer said that it happens often but typically the guns don't get pawned but passed around until someone gets pulled over. He said he wouldn't be surprised if I had both of them back in a few weeks. I was honestly shocked by his response, but we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    A word about pawn shops: Stay away!

Depending on local privacy laws, a pawn shop will probably not divulge if they have recently purchased or loaned on something, anyway, but pawn tickets are accessible to the police, and in fact, in some areas, at least, one copy of every pawn ticket goes to the local police, to be checked against known stolen items. At my PD, all pawned articles are entered into the computer, which matches serial numbers and other relevant data with things reported as stolen.
    Yeah at least just go for a look and be quiet, look at tools or something too... N many states protect Pawn shops to the point of allowing them to get away with buying stuff they know is stolen and not forcing disclosure... I have read of more than one person getting burned on buying a Pawn shop gun only to have it seized by the police as stolen, no they did not get their money back....

Criminals are animals of habit, they will be back to that PL, and it is someone that is very close by BET ON IT!!!
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ncglock View Post
    I live about 45 minutes from the local gun range and since I was going to be going that way I decided to get in 18 holes at RGA on my way home. Long story short after my 18 holes I returned to my car to find my guns stolen out of my trunk, I called the cops who came out and while he was taking his report two other guys walked over and said they had there cars broken into. We decided to make sure we alerted the golf course which responded that there has been brake-ins for the last four months and they didn't know what to do about it but didn't want to have security outside because it my deter some customers.
    So I lost two Glocks yesterday a G22 and G23
    If you are a member of the NRA you have at least $1000 in coverage towards replacing the guns. Its part of the membership.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

I can't think of a golf course I play that does not have the parking areas posted about theft from vehicles. Golf clubs are a favored target as they are easy to sell. When you leave guns in a car (even locked) you are just asking for trouble. I never leave weapons in a locked car - period.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

The chief of police in Orlando had her guns stole from her car and received a reprimand for leaving them in the car over night.

Sorry for your loss, NCGLOCK. I live in Apex and work in Raleigh, but just wondering about some of the comments here. Some people have said that they never leave a gun locked up in the car. if you can't carry at work and you don't want to leave it in your car, it doesn't leave too many choices. Hope you get your guns back.
    Walk steathly - and carry a big Springfield.

I went over to Fuquay today and replaced one of them. I haven't responded to any comments, I wanted to but thought the thread might go in a different direction....but I had similar thoughts as well, with that being said I have picked up some great insight from guys that leave their weapons in the car.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    I haven't ever had to leave mine behind in a car and if I ever do it won't be without being in a safe, locked up and well hidden.
    Prayers sent for the loss of your two close friends, I hope they are returned soon, healthy and unharmed.
    My biggest fear is having a gun stolen, and what could happen with it while it is out of my control. I just imagine the emotions you are going through right now.
    No tongue lashing from me, you're suffering enough.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

EAJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
    The chief of police in Orlando had her guns stole from her car and received a reprimand for leaving them in the car over night.
    The vehicle was parked in the driveway at their upscale home in an gated community. One should not assume that they’re safe anywhere anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Might be on to something here,I would get some good binoculars and sit in a place I could scan the whole parking lot,If you see somebody burglarising cars call the cops and get in a position to follow and get a tag number on getaway car in case the cops don't get there in time
    +1 I would also call some other golf courses and see if they are experiencing the same thing.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by ncglock View Post
    We decided to make sure we alerted the golf course which responded that there has been brake-ins for the last four months and they didn't know what to do about it but didn't want to have security outside because it my deter some customers.
    Tell the golf course that if they don't increase security in the parking lot next time you play a round on the way back from the range you'll do it with your rifle in the golf bag.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links