Need help deciding on new pistol

This is a discussion on Need help deciding on new pistol within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by highvoltage In that case you won't like the 36, which is even smaller than the 19. Sorry about that. I guess Glock ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help deciding on new pistol

Quote Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
    In that case you won't like the 36, which is even smaller than the 19. Sorry about that. I guess Glock mass markets their pistols for average sized hands, which makes sense. You capture most of the available market that way.
    I edited my post

so I switched back and forth from pistol to pistol just now and I think the Glock feels too wide and short.

I like the 1911 because it's slim but the handle is long enough to comfortably accommodate my hands.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xListerfiend View Post
    I edited my post

so I switched back and forth from pistol to pistol just now and I think the Glock feels too wide and short.

I like the 1911 because it's slim but the handle is long enough to comfortably accommodate my hands.
    Well, that's a bit different. The G36 is being marketed as a "slimline" subcompact. It's 1.13 in. wide vs. 1.18 in. for their other subcompacts. Might make a difference in feel for you.

As far as being short, you can always add grip extensions, or use longer magazines. It'll change the aesthetics, but what the heck, Glocks are ugly to begin with!

I'm no major gun owner, expert or anything, but over the years I have owned several different brands and shot many more. I currently own a Smith 65 w 3" barrell, a Ruger Gp100, A Taurus 85 ultralite, and Rossi something, and Sig 220 in .45. I have owned Dan Wesson's other sig,s, other rugers, and some colt 1911's. I much prefer to shoot and carry any of my revolvers than any auto I have ever owned or do own. Of all the auto's I have ever owned my favorites have been: Sig 229 .40, Sig 220 .45, Colt gold cup .45. My favorite revolver is a tie between the smith 65 and the ruger gp100. personally I would suggest to you a Ruger SP101, Gp100, or a smith 686 and forget about the auto's for now, but since you are set on an auto I would save and go with a Sig, Kimber(based only on what I have heard;research that some more), and maybe a Springfield 1911 style .45. It seems to me that anything in a large frame .45 will not be snappy like a small frame anything, and polymer frames will be worse, heavy guns shoot smoother. I have shot Glocks and don't care for them at all myself, so I agree with you there.

VIP Member
    I would definately recommend the Sig P220 .45

I have one and love it more than any other gun I have ever fired! NOTHING BEATS A SIG!!!
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

I'm not against these suggestions for a sig at all

just need to come up with the extra $$$ haha

When I mentioned never firing a .45 it wasn't because I couldn't I just never did. My dad has a 1911 Colt which I could use if I wanted. How would the Sig compare to the feel/recoil of the Colt?

Distinguished Member
    Try a heavier pistol like the CZ 75. I have shot the G17, M&P 9, XD 9, CZ P-01 and none of them felt like they had a snap. My G23 has a snappy recoil to me, but it might not to someone else. I was the most accurate with the P-01 and it was the smallest out the bunch.

Now I'm all confused

I think if I was going to pay for a Sig P220 I'd just go with a P226 or P229 instead.

The XD just really fit my price range so I really just came here to see how the recoil from a polymer .45 measured up against that of a 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by xListerfiend View Post
    I'm not against these suggestions for a sig at all

just need to come up with the extra $$$ haha

When I mentioned never firing a .45 it wasn't because I couldn't I just never did. My dad has a 1911 Colt which I could use if I wanted. How would the Sig compare to the feel/recoil of the Colt?
    I'd give the 1911 a shot since it is available to you. I'm sure a polymer 45 would have a bit more felt recoil and I've never shot a polymer 45 either, only a full frame(compact 1911) and found it to have a slightly softer recoil than my polymer 357 Glock.

VIP Member
    The P229 is an amazing carry gun. It's my next gun. (in .40) If you want a .45 then the P220 is the way to go, but for smaller calibers, the P226 and P229 are the best out there IMHO. As far as the recoil and feel comparison between the P220 and a 1911, I also think that the P220 is FAR SUPERIOR! I will admit that I am an "anti" when it comes to 1911s. Way too much money for a gun you have to do so much to for an accurate, reliable gun. The Sig is all of those out of the box.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    The P229 is an amazing carry gun. It's my next gun. (in .40) If you want a .45 then the P220 is the way to go, but for smaller calibers, the P226 and P229 are the best out there IMHO. As far as the recoil and feel comparison between the P220 and a 1911, I also think that the P220 is FAR SUPERIOR! I will admit that I am an "anti" when it comes to 1911s. Way too much money for a gun you have to do so much to for an accurate, reliable gun. The Sig is all of those out of the box.
    The Sigs aren't exactly cheap pistols though.

VIP Member
    You get what you pay for!!!
    Thomas Jefferson

You sound like you have your heart set on an XD. If so, look at the XD(M) in 9mm. I don't own one but the thought of having 19 + 1 is very sexy.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

I'd buy a .357 revolver b4 I'd buy a 9mm personally.

I'd say a Sig 220 has about the same recoil as a colt 1911

Quote Originally Posted by DaRedneck View Post
    You sound like you have your heart set on an XD. If so, look at the XD(M) in 9mm. I don't own one but the thought of having 19 + 1 is very sexy.
    Agreed but I'm not sure it's worth the extra $100+

I understand there is more to it then just the bigger mag but the standard XD is more than enough for me

My unk' has a 24/7 pro Taurus in .40 that he is really fond of, it's good shooter but a bit snappy cause of it's size and weight, but very reasonably priced.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links