Need help deciding on new pistol

This is a discussion on Need help deciding on new pistol within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've always enjoyed pistol shooting and my parents recently decided they would buy me my own since I'm only 20. I've shot various small calibers ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help deciding on new pistol

Need help deciding on new pistol

I've always enjoyed pistol shooting and my parents recently decided they would buy me my own since I'm only 20.

I've shot various small calibers but mainly my dads Glock 19. This gun has always felt manageable but very snappy in my hands. I've been browsing forums for a few weeks and have seen multiple people say that 9mm and .40 are often times "snappy" while the .45acp is more of a slower push. Basically I can't decide between the .45 or the 9mm but I've never shot a polymer .45

I've been looking at the Springfield XD but unfortunately there isn't a place near me that rents handguns so I can't just go out and shoot them both and decide for myself.

Whatever I end up buying is going to be used for range shooting and be used for home defense since I live with my girlfriend and while I would never expect anything to happen I'd rather be prepared for it if it does.

2. Remove Ads

If you already like Glocks, then you must go to the gunshop and wrap your hands around the Glock-36...you won't let go!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    If you already like Glocks, then you must go to the gunshop and wrap your hands around the Glock-36...you won't let go!
    Damn I should have made that more clear.

I don't like his glock at all. For whatever reason I can't hit a thing with it. I've never been accurate with it and I have no idea why. Maybe the sights on his gun are off since I'm fairly accurate with our other pistols.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xListerfiend View Post
    ..I don't like his glock at all. For whatever reason I can't hit a thing with it. I've never been accurate with it and I have no idea why......
    Well, the subcompacts do handle differently. And the 36 is thinner (making it a slimline subcompact) so the handling characteristics are quite different than say a G19.

I have the Pearce grip extension on my G26, and I'm able to shoot both equally well.

Quote Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
    Well, the subcompacts do handle differently. And the 36 is thinner (making it a slimline subcompact) so the handling characteristics are quite different than say a G19.

I have the Pearce grip extension on my G26, and I'm able to shoot both equally well.
    What is the grip like?

I've heard the XD feels comparable to the 1911 which fits my hand amazingly while the G19 is really uncomfortable.

My first non-revolver was the XD .45. I loved the feel of the gun, but I hated the trigger reset. The XDM seems to be no better.

I recently picked up a Sig P229 chambered in 9mm and I have to say it is an amazing gun. I love the feel in my hand and I absolutely love the way it shoots. The added weight of having a non-polymer frame absorbs some of the recoil, it feels pretty similar in recoil to my Ruger MKIII .22.

I've owned an XD .45 and a Kimber 1911, both great guns, but this Sig is by far my favorite gun.
    S&W 638 .38 :: Sig P229 :: Ruger MkIII :: VEPR K 5.45x39 AK-74 :: Mosin Nagant M44 :: Hi-Point 995 9mm (shoulder fired pistol)

Quote Originally Posted by sasomers View Post
    I recently picked up a Sig P229 chambered in 9mm and I have to say it is an amazing gun. I love the feel in my hand and I absolutely love the way it shoots.
    If money was no object I'd love to have a Sig

the P226 and P229 look amazing

I started with a XD40 Service. It is snappy. My G36 is a handful as well. My Keltec-PF9 with +P9mm is not fun to shoot. My SP101.357mag kicks like a mule.(Fun As All Heck!!!).
    I am no expert. But if I were to give advice, and I am going to. I would say for a first handgun get a revolver. And I would suggest the SP101.357mag. It will last your lifetime, and you can shoot .38's with it. Which is a good round. and fun to shoot, very tame.
    For SD just put .38p in it or make it a hand held "Flash-Bang" and put .357mag's in it, it can handle all with ease. Then start adding to your (soon to be) collection. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by rcsnpr View Post
    I started with a XD40 Service. It is snappy. My G36 is a handful as well. My Keltec-PF9 with +P9mm is not fun to shoot. My SP101.357mag kicks like a mule.(Fun As All Heck!!!).
    I am no expert. But if I were to give advice, and I am going to. I would say for a first handgun get a revolver. And I would suggest the SP101.357mag. It will last your lifetime, and you can shoot .38's with it. Which is a good round. and fun to shoot, very tame.
    For SD just put .38p in it or make it a hand held "Flash-Bang" and put .357mag's in it, it can handle all with ease. Then start adding to your (soon to be) collection. Just a thought.
    I can't argue with a revolver. Because of where I work, my usual carry is my S&W .38 bodyguard. You absolutely cannot go wrong with carrying a revolver, still 'like' my Sig better...
    S&W 638 .38 :: Sig P229 :: Ruger MkIII :: VEPR K 5.45x39 AK-74 :: Mosin Nagant M44 :: Hi-Point 995 9mm (shoulder fired pistol)

I respect the simplicity and durability of revolvers but I'd really prefer an automatic.

I respect the simplicity and durability of revolvers but I'd really prefer an automatic.
    Yeah, me too. Until I got my first revolver. But you gotta do what you gotta do. If I had to do it over again I would not of gotten my XD40 first. But I am glad it is in my collection. Just buy someting of quality. Remember there is only 1 First gun.
    P.S.
    If I had to do over my first revolver I would get one that takes "Moon Clips" Very fast reloads with them. Or I will just make it my second One.
    Good luck.
    Last edited by rcsnpr; April 10th, 2009 at 03:05 PM. Reason: PS added

Yeah, me too. Until I got my first revolver. But you gotta do what you gotta do. If I had to do it over again I would not of gotten my XD40 first. But I am glad it is in my collection. Just buy someting of quality. Remember there is only 1 First gun.
    That's why am I here

I like everything I've read about the XD but I can't decide on a caliber. Like I said the G19 feels snappy in my hands but it doesn't buck out of my hands. I just notice that it jumps quite bit and having never shot a .45 I have no idea what to expect as far as the recoil goes and I don't want to buy something only to end up being disappointed with my purchase.

What is the grip like?

I've heard the XD feels comparable to the 1911 which fits my hand amazingly while the G19 is really uncomfortable.
    Uncomfortable in what way? The grip is too big, or too small?

Quote Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
    Uncomfortable in what way? The grip is too big, or too small?
    I can't really describe it to be honest

I just got the gun out and put an empty mag into it and it just doesn't sit right in my hand. The 1911 I have sitting here slides right into my hand and feels like it was made to be there

Too small

My pinky hooks under the magazine because it doesn't sit right on the rest of the grip
    In that case you won't like the 36, which is even smaller than the 19. Sorry about that. I guess Glock mass markets their pistols for average sized hands, which makes sense. You capture most of the available market that way.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links