Need a 1911 - Page 2

Need a 1911

This is a discussion on Need a 1911 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I had not given much thought to the adjustable sights being harder to deal with on a carry piece, but makes a ton of sense. ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need a 1911

I had not given much thought to the adjustable sights being harder to deal with on a carry piece, but makes a ton of sense. I have heard and read that the magazines are probably the biggest concern for reliability on a 1911, any to lean towards or stay away from? Also, do most factory magazines, say in a Springfield generally work pretty well on the gun they are shipped with?

My Glock would probably not be very happy with me if it knew what I was considering..

I prefer to use magazines with removeable baseplates and Tripp Research followers. The Tripp follower engages the slide stop with a metal insert, not a piece of polymer. They're very well built. I've had zero problems thus far with my factory Colt mags, but still prefer to use the Wilson w/Tripp follower setup for carry. Welded baseplates sometimes come off, while the Wilson baseplate is held on with two tabs of thick steel. Much more confidence inspiring.
    Last edited by Roadrunner; February 26th, 2006 at 03:56 AM.
    - Kurt
    ďFreedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.Ē ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Take a look at Sig's GSR Revolution (the Revolution models are the post-QC problem models) - stainless, no MIM parts, fixed night sights, comes with Novak mags, etc. Should be able to get them for $850 - $1000.

I like a Fixed low mount Sight for Carry like the Novak's that com on the springfield's there also easy on holsters.

I know mim is a hated thing i dont care for it either but of the 4-5 springer i have ive never had anything break

There's a lot of great advice in this thread. I got my stainless Series 80 in the handgun equivalent of finding the cherry Corvette in the old lady's barn. My dad's buddy had bought it new in '86, shot it once, and stuffed it back in the closet for 10 years. When he heard I was looking at pistols, he told me to make him an offer on the 1911. Since I was in college eating ramen noodles and drinking Hamms, I ended up getting the Colt, 2 mags, and 3 sets of grips for $350.

Later on I had a good smith do an action job and install trigger, controls, small beavertail, etc. That's another thing to think about - there are a lot of guys out there who think they can tune a 1911, but some of them are true hacks. Ask around before committing to a smith. The first one I went to ended up getting paid for parts only, and the gun went to another guy to get fixed.

My advice follows many others on here - get a feel for everything out there and find the one that works for you. Then buy it, or get a quality platform that you can slowly turn into your perfect 1911. It's hard to polish a turd, so buy the best you can afford right off the bat. As others have said, get some good mags as well; I cheaped out on a few, and would have better off flushing the $$ down the tubes.

Good luck, keep researching, and try to make the hunt as rewarding as the purchase!
    "Speed is fine, but accuracy is final." - Bill Jordan

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OD
    The firing pin block safety, was designed by Colt engineer William L. Swartz, the first Government Model built with his firing pin block safety was assembled on 12 Oct. 1937.
    Show off

OD*
    Sorry Bruce,
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Administrator

Thumbs up Brain Tap

I want to tap into ODs Colt Brain Database.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

OD*
    You'd most likely be disappointed QK, but thank you none the less.

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    I want to tap into ODs Colt Brain Database.

Ok, I'll get in on this. I mentioned that my 1911 is a Series 80 purchased in 1986. The guy I bought it from was told that it was a 75th anniversary model, but it isn't engraved or anything. Was there an anniversary edition, and if so, what was special about it? Thanks!!

OD*
    duckhunter,

The only anniversary that I am aware of Colt promoting in 1986 was their 150th, and all that entailed was a special "150th" Colt medallion in the stocks.

OD,

I just dug out the wood stocks that came with the pistol; just the standard prancing horse.

She's still a keeper to me. Thanks for the help!

OD*
    What's it serial number sir, possibly it was purchased in '86, but manufactured earlier?

OD,

S/N is SS105XX.

I was thinking the same thing. My dad thinks his buddy was probably a little flaky on the date.

Thanks again for your help.

If that Mitchell was made in the last couple years, I'm fairly sure that it is a D.Wesson. The shop made a run of them for Mitchell. Don't think it'll have any DW markings. IIRC, the mainspring housing has a sort of waffle pattern, kinda like pressed checkering. Rather have it serrated. Did read someone's article in some magazine or other, and got the impression that the writer was lukewarm(at best) about it.

Did see a black DW with AO/XS sights at a show yesterday marked at a claimed dealer cost of $599. I *think* it was a Panther, but the guy at the table seemed to have other things to do...

Was a time when I really wanted a blue Panther(think you'll find only stainless now, if they still make them), but not at that price. As I recall it was an 'entry' model for about $100 less.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links