Reaction from ABC's 20/20 Anti-Gun Episode (Merged)

This is a discussion on Reaction from ABC's 20/20 Anti-Gun Episode (Merged) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It's unfortunate that ABC blew a chance to really critically examine gun control in the United States, and instead posted up a ridiculous straw man ...

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Reaction from ABC's 20/20 Anti-Gun Episode (Merged)

It's unfortunate that ABC blew a chance to really critically examine gun control in the United States, and instead posted up a ridiculous straw man argument on our behalf. This doesn't do anything other than solidify the anti-gun people's beliefs that they're in the right, and anger the pro-gun side. It's just more of the same drawing arbitrary lines in the sand based on incorrect or insufficient data.

Crime is incredibly tricky to monitor, in the field of criminology we often refer to all crime committed as the "dark figure of crime", dark because nobody really knows how much crime actually goes on, we can only go on what's reported, pursued, prosecuted and convicted, then set into the records. You can cherry pick statistics from anywhere to suit your argument, or make invalid arguments and assertions based on insufficient and often contradictory data. An objective scientist does not reach his conclusion until all the data is in, but many people have their minds made up when they go looking for the "truth". What a shame.
    People do not lack strength; they lack will. — Victor Hugo

2. Remove Ads

If normal people don't have the skills to win a gun battle with a perp, how did the perp get his skills? After all, Media tells us that the perp has such a jedi-like mastery over his weapon that we don't have a chance.

He stole his gun, or he is underage, could be a gang member who's only shooting experience is busting a few caps in the hood.

But somehow the rest of us that have a few seasons of IPSC under our belt, plus special classes, plus years of constant practice don't stand a chance against a punk who doesn't even know what kind of handgun he has? Right.

I started watching it but soon found out where it was headed and turned the channel. I guess their desired alternative to defending oneself is to scream hysterically and beg for mercy. The survivors of an attack then can sue the nearest deep pockets of some entity. I guess Diane Sawyer can feel smug and protected with security guarding the TV station she works at. I am my own security force!

...Tonight 20/20 aired a totally biased episode on guns and gun violence. In this episode, they presented many false or skewed facts...

Does this garbage surprise you?

Worse...
    We now have individuals in three branches of government who probably all liked the reporting.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

ANTI PROPOGANDA (caps intended) from start to finish portraying legal and law abiding gun owners as the bad guys. Typical media lies.
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

Lead Moderator
    It's really a shame...... That classroom experiment could have been so telling if ABC hadn't broken just about every rule about setting up an unbiased experiment! They even ignored a possibly fatal shot to the inner thigh made by one of the females!

If a student had set that up when I was in school he would have ended up with a D- IF he were lucky, more likely a F!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

While most of it was pretty biased, some was also pretty accurate. We get new shooters at our IDPA matches quite a bit, and their first few matches do not usually go well.

Most have never shot under any kind of pressure, even as little as being timed with a bunch of folks watching. Few have even bothered drawing from concealment, even though they may carry daily. Fewer still have had the opportunity to engage multiple targets and shoot while moving. They go to a square, sterile range, engage a silhouette (if that’s even allowed) and shoot groups.

Occasionally, we’ll throw in a low-light stage, but most have never fired a weapon while using a handheld light. So we’ll group them together and let them run it with the lights on. Keep in mind that the majority of SD shootings happen in diminished lighting, but most folks practice in full light.

A lot of it has to do with the fact that most ranges won’t allow this type of shooting. Most people just can’t train at a public range. A whole lot more has to do with the fact that people go to ranges to shoot, but very few actually train.

I’ve taken a couple Force on Force classes and the results are similar to their experiment. I also shoot quite a bit, at least weekly and a couple of matches a month. If I go a week or two without practice, then I will be "off” then next time I shoot.

If you haven’t taken any formal training, you should probably look into it. I spent 23 years in the Army, and 5 years as a reserve cop. In both of those endeavors, the training was at best marginal compared to taking modern tactical firearms class. I spent decades in the service with the M16 and M4, but learned more in a 3 day tactical carbine class then I ever did in the service about running the rifle.

Just something to think about,

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

A TV show that gives someone who has no firearms experience 1 hour of training
    and then expects them to successfully defend against an experienced gunman ON CAMERA

would be like NASCAR Today having someone take a drivers-ed course
    then putting them in the Daytona 500

Its not just Biased
    its Irresponsible

"A TV show that gives someone who has no firearms experience 1 hour of training and then expects them to successfully defend against an experienced gunman ON CAMERA would be like NASCAR Today having someone take a drivers-ed course then putting them in the Daytona 500."

+1
    bosco

VIP Member
    I missed the show since I was on duty, but I'm not surprised that ABC would produce the show in this fashion. They'd do anything to advance anti-gun, anti-2A, anti-self defense, and the thought that only the guvment can protect us.
    And nobody at ABC will listen to our emails/calls/complaints....they are too far gone into the abyss of their gun phobia induced intellectual shortcomings.
    John Stossel is the ONLY person at ABC that has any common sense and any particle of a clue as to how the real world operates.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boscobeans View Post
    "A TV show that gives someone who has no firearms experience 1 hour of training and then expects them to successfully defend against an experienced gunman ON CAMERA would be like NASCAR Today having someone take a drivers-ed course then putting them in the Daytona 500."

+1
    bosco
    exactly, wish they'd put one of us in that classroom setup

If normal people don't have the skills to win a gun battle with a perp, how did the perp get his skills? After all, Media tells us that the perp has such a jedi-like mastery over his weapon that we don't have a chance.

He stole his gun, or he is underage, could be a gang member who's only shooting experience is busting a few caps in the hood.

But somehow the rest of us that have a few seasons of IPSC under our belt, plus special classes, plus years of constant practice don't stand a chance against a punk who doesn't even know what kind of handgun he has? Right.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

After watching that program I now realize how dangerous guns are and am planning on selling mine. I will start a new running schedule to keep myself in shape to run away should someone threaten to kill me. I will try to get my loved one's on the same running schedule so they won't be that far behind me should we have to run.
    I hope the rest of you can see all that you are doing to make our inner cities more dangerous.
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

At the opener of the hack piece the biased info-wench Diane "Save Us All" Sawyer states " there are 250 million guns on the streets...........and in homes in America."
    Yep, so many guns on the streets we use the snow plows to clean them off.
    Glad I had the remote in my hand!!
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    The program was such an utter sham that it was clear it was simply Sawyer pushing her agenda.
    The classroom scenario where the "student" couldn't get his gun from under his shirt was obviously staged and to use a trained instructor against untrained "students" was downright laughable. They should have loaded the classroom with trained CCWer's, I'll bet the instructor would have fared much worse. I also agree with the writer who stated that it was obvious the "perp" knew exactly who was carrying and who to target when he entered the room.
    The whole program was a joke without even a semblence of balance.
    What was really hysterical was Sawyers contention that no reliable studies could be found which showed self defense was a viable option. I guess FBI statistics aren't reliable.
    I wonder how the program would have turned out if John Stossel had hosted it.
    I also wonder how many police depts. they had to approach before they found one that adhered to their agenda no questioned asked.
    Like most propaganda however the programs one sidedness and lack of balance was obvious. All ABC did was lose what little credibility it had.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Very very bias. enough said!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links