Reaction from ABC's 20/20 Anti-Gun Episode (Merged) - Page 4

Reaction from ABC's 20/20 Anti-Gun Episode (Merged)

This is a discussion on Reaction from ABC's 20/20 Anti-Gun Episode (Merged) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Sorry, but that "Simulated shooting" was a stacked deck against a non card player with cardsharks as the dealer and every other player. Its like ...

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Sorry, but that "Simulated shooting" was a stacked deck against a non card player with cardsharks as the dealer and every other player. Its like someone thats never played baseball playing against a pro player. Its like a sniper verses a hunter. The demonstration was nothing more then a moral booster for the "Official" shooting instructors, the fact they even participated in that makes me want to puke.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    The media is not our friend unless we are paying them for their time to present
    our view.John Stossell did a gun piece on 20/20 which was pretty fair if my
    memory doesn't desert me.

Quote Originally Posted by MH53J View Post
    This is what ABC sent me back. No surprise here.

As you can imagine, we receive thousands of messages a day from our viewers and while we appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback regarding our programming, we are not able to respond to each one directly.

We encourage you to continue to communicate with us!

Later Bryan
    Why bother if they are just going to send out some sort of canned response.

I tried to post a negative message under a registered nick, and ABC News comment page linked to gun violence report appears to have malfunctioned.

Can't read the roll of comments, either.

ABC News is typically anti-gun. Based in the premier anti-gun of the world, New York City, no surprise. This is why I don't watch much TV.

I refuse to watch CBS News with Katie Couric for the simple reason she holds anti-gun sentiment with biased reports in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Stetson View Post
    The media is not our friend unless we are paying them for their time to present
    our view.John Stossell did a gun piece on 20/20 which was pretty fair if my
    memory doesn't desert me.
    Maybe we as a group need to contact John Stossell and let him do the same piece correctly. I did not watch the show last night so my facts may be a little off but if he set up the same classroom and the crazied gun man did not know the CCW student. What would the out come be? This would be a great give me a break.

Quote Originally Posted by MH53J View Post
    This is the email I sent to as many of the sponsors as I could find a good email for. Hope I get some replies and don't have to cancel my Verizon phone.

To whom it may concern:

Due to your support of ABC's broadcast of 20/20 on April 10 2009. I nor my family can no longer support your bussiness or service. If the views of this show are not the ones of your bussiness, and you would like my hard earned dollars. Publicly withdray all ads from ABC. I will be posting this email and all replies on like minded forums for all to see. I will also CC ABC for any input they may have. I will take no replies as proof you do not need my bussiness.

Yours turly
    Bryan Jackson

Oh bye the way this is my first post here. Great site.
    Welcome to the forum. Sounds like we are lucky to have you.
    ‘‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’ — James Earl Jones, Actor

Quote Originally Posted by davekp View Post
    Also, no coverage given of the times when a gun SAVED someone.
    Actually there was, but they failed to point it out.

In the carryout shooting that had 14 shots fired, THE GOOD GUY LIVED...HELLO!!!! Ya, the bad guy got away too, BUT THE LAW ABIDING GUN OWNER SURVIVED!!!

Not the mention that they basically compared the school shooting set-up to the carryout shooting, indirectly making the point that they are the same. So sad.

Just enforces my belief in the need to carry.
    I carry a gun for the same reason I own a smoke detector...I never, ever, plan on needing them...but if I do need them, and have them in a box...I won't be able to get to them for use fast enough.

I loved Diane's opening statement "this is not a debate on the right to own guns"

Nope, it was not a debate at all, debate is defined as two sided.

Some of the best video they used was of the police OUTSIDE the buildings, behind cars and trees. Now don't get me wrong, I love the cops and TOTALLY respect the job they have, I am a fireman, we work and eat together often, but just like the cops, we are not there when you need us, we are there to help clean-up, plain and simple.
    I carry a gun for the same reason I own a smoke detector...I never, ever, plan on needing them...but if I do need them, and have them in a box...I won't be able to get to them for use fast enough.

OK well. Let's see.

A person in an unfamiliar place, wearing unfamiliar clothes, a giant vision blocking helmet and mask, using an unfamiliar gun, in an unfamiliar holster, with giant gloves is no match for a trained officer.

And that office knew the circumstances, he knew there was a CCW, where that CCW holder was seated, and he knew how the "victims" were going to react.

These demonstrations are not worth the digital media they are saved on.

Not to even mention that most criminals are not usually any better of a shot than the average Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by lance22 View Post
    If normal people don't have the skills to win a gun battle with a perp, how did the perp get his skills? After all, Media tells us that the perp has such a jedi-like mastery over his weapon that we don't have a chance.

He stole his gun, or he is underage, could be a gang member who's only shooting experience is busting a few caps in the hood.

But somehow the rest of us that have a few seasons of IPSC under our belt, plus special classes, plus years of constant practice don't stand a chance against a punk who doesn't even know what kind of handgun he has? Right.
    and he's most likely hyped up on drugs of some kind. So, even untrained, unfamiliar and most likely under the influence and yet a CCWer or even a LEO doesn't stand a good chance.

They did target their prime demographic: Women and Mothers, who statistically would be scared to death and ready to call the representative to ban all guns.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Sounds like the only good thing about the show is that my wife didn't watch it.

I'd love to see John Stossel (or anyone) publicly destroy the false arguments that were presented.

How many people noticed the big thick gloves the students had on. Of course they couldn't draw the gun, because they could feel it.

My favorite part was where the girl student, placed front and center, with a crappy carry holster and wearing gloves was so slow withdrawing her firearm that she was nailed 7-8 times.

Tell me that wasn't a tainted demonstration and I'll kiss D. Sawyer on the lips.
    A real life gunman on a shooting spree hasn't ever concentrated on one individual enough to empty his mag into them w/ all of the other targets running around.

Nothing to see here but B.S.
    Grassroots SC, SC CWP, NH NR-PRL

Quote Originally Posted by ccroom View Post
    How many people noticed the big thick gloves the students had on. Of course they couldn't draw the gun, because they could feel it.
    Yeah I noted that on my previous post. Not only where they wearing what looked like "cold weather" gloves by Mechanix, but they were wearing clothes they would not normally wear too. Only gang bangers wear t-shirts down to their knees.

These CCW holders were also using guns and holster they were not familiar with. I was actually shocked they gave them Glocks. I would not have been surprised if they gave them something with multiple safety locks and then made a big deal about how they could not get the safety off too.

My favorite part was looking for a flashlight to look down the revolvers barrel to see if it was loaded. NICE!
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Links