Reaction from ABC's 20/20 Anti-Gun Episode (Merged) - Page 5

Reaction from ABC's 20/20 Anti-Gun Episode (Merged)

This is a discussion on Reaction from ABC's 20/20 Anti-Gun Episode (Merged) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by JAT40 My favorite part was looking for a flashlight to look down the revolvers barrel to see if it was loaded. NICE! ...

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Reaction from ABC's 20/20 Anti-Gun Episode (Merged)

Quote Originally Posted by JAT40 View Post
    My favorite part was looking for a flashlight to look down the revolvers barrel to see if it was loaded. NICE!
    Please tell me they looked down the chamber end, not the muzzle end.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Delucas View Post
    My favorite part was where the girl student, placed front and center, with a crappy carry holster and wearing gloves was so slow withdrawing her firearm that she was nailed 7-8 times.

Tell me that wasn't a tainted demonstration and I'll kiss D. Sawyer on the lips.
    A real life gunman on a shooting spree hasn't ever concentrated on one individual enough to empty his mag into them w/ all of the other targets running around.

Nothing to see here but B.S.
    Man I thought for sure I knew where you were headed with kissing comment and then you really made your point and grossed us out.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Please tell me they looked down the chamber end, not the muzzle end.
    Nope, the rocket surgeons were looking right down the business end.

This show did not any one any credit for anything except the bad guy.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Did anyone notice that they put guns in a toy box and expected the kids not to play with them. Give me break "It's a toy box" "But we just told them minutes before not to play with guns." If they are like most 4-6 year olds they didn't listen to you in the first place or didn't know what you were talking about.

I thought the show was called 20/20, not 60 minutes. Wait 20 mins of this BS, 20 mins of that BS, and 20 mins of justifying their BS.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by rolyat63 View Post
    Nope, the rocket surgeons were looking right down the business end.
    Notice they did this in NJ where I'm willing to wager none of the kids had ever seen a gun in their life, let alone been taught proper handling procedures (except maybe the kid trying to fire it indoors...probably something I'd do if I knew it was staged).

I'd like to see them try that little experiment in back woods PA or Texas and see what the results are.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

This is not the first time ABC has done this. Look at all the Stars who have used the media to spread their crap.

Thumbs down After watching that show I couldn't sleep.

I mean, after watching that show I now know that I must immeadiately get rid of my guns to the proper authorities. It seems that the skills gained in my 24 years of military police expierence, and my 10 years of civilian police expierence goes away after a MONTH of not using them (as per the firearms instructor).

They also said that the police get months and months of training in tactics and peripheal vision. Hmmmm! I was a member of a department that had 40k officers. My firearms training consisted of going to the range and shooting at a stationary paper target just like you do. Then we spent 1 hour in the "tactics house" one day. Then I and all the other officers would meet once a year to shoot 100 rounds at stationary paper targets. What department is he talking about that has a budget to send every officer it has through this rigorous training??

Let's see, they made a point of saying the the average person cannot draw their weapon in a time of crisis to shoot the BG. I guess the police have some superhuman reflex to draw out of their anti-theft retention holsters. Maybe they should consider walking around with a gun in their hand at all times since it is so useless otherwise.

Their carefully thought up experiment pitts a quickly trained student against a normal non-trained BG? No, instead of another slightly trained student that doesn't know their will be armed resistance (real life), we will utilize the Firearms Instructor/long time police officer as the BG. Better yet, instead of letting the student pick out his own chair, lets put him dead center in the front row. And to top it off the BG knows exactly where his resistance is seated. Oh and by the way as mentioned before the oversize shirt for our student, but also did we notice the thick mechanics gloves?

Ah yes, and the heartwrenching story of the little boy reporter and the nasty guns in his neighborhood. Certainly the gangs that were mentioned is not the source of the problem, nor the drugs or the lack of the police to want to crack down on that area. Let's see I believe some upstanding citizen said that he can send one of the local kids to a place to buy a gun for $60. Where is that gun store? Do they do background checks and make you wait 5 days? Maybe it's an annual gun show in the "hood".

Let's look at Aman and his sister that was killed in the Virginia Tech Shooting. I feel for his loss, seriously I do. I don't blame him for trying to "find the cure' just like anyone else who has lost a loved one. But, I feel that he is being "steered" by certain personel in the wrong direction. I feel he needs to go after the prison/parole system and the lack of enforcement of punishment for those found to be breaking the handgun laws during commissions of crimes. Those 2 areas would be a much better place to start than a gun show. I cant believe that a person would go to a gun show and pay $450 for a glock pistol, and turn around and sell it to a street thug for $60.

Oh, and of course the NRA, and Eddie Eagle. Let's show 3 year olds that can't even keep up with Barney, a video on gun safety and then turn them loose in a toy box with guns in it. Huh? Well certainly teenagers that have never seen a gun must be smarter to not touch nor look down the barrel. Just like they would never drive daddy's car without permission when their parent's go on vacation.

And last but not least the husband who gets up in the middle of the night and shoots his wife. Maybe he didn't like her. Seriously if a citizen can't tell the difference and identify a target in the dark then the police shouldn't work at night either, unless they have night vision goggles on with target identification.

That about covers it. I just HAD to get that off my chest. That show frustrated me sooooo much. Especialy the title "If i only had a gun" that wasn't made to make us gun toters think that it actually might be worth watching because it was going to tell the truth was it? Or did they think that they could entice us to watch so that they were'nt "preaching to the choir" of gun haters.

i watched it, and laughed my ***** off.

"this isn't a debate on gun control..." says Ms. Sawyer. yes, because a debate would involve two intelligently presented, differing opinions, not the hatchet job that piece of crap was. they must have locked John Stossel in the bathroom while recording this piece of "journalism."

first, the classroom experiment was a joke. "hey, lets give an airsoft shooter a gun, put it in a level II retention holster, cover it up with an extremely long shirt, give him bulky gloves, a helmet that interferes with his vision, then send in a trained professional who knows exactly where he is to shoot at him! that'll be totally realistic!"

"you need to constantly practice stress training," they say. that would be nice. unfortunately, the only LEOs i know that continually practice this way are SWAT. regular patrolmen only have to qualify a few times a year, if that many. LEOs here, please correct me if i'm wrong. i know for a fact that LEOs in my area only have to qualify 2x a year. most of the other shooters i know are on the range every weekend, compete in IDPA matches, and practice force-on-force, stress training regularly. just like me.

i can't believe the gunshow "loophole" myth is still being talked about. can i say it one more time? THERE IS NO LOOPHOLE.

filming the precious little black children pleading for the President to help the ghetto was an especially endearing touch.

at the end, Ms. Sawyer, with a distinct tone of disdain and sneering about the numbers of people using a gun for self defense, claimed "they couldnt find a single reliable study to support the numbers claimed." i guess finding the report from the National Academy of Sciences that indisputably found 500k to 700k self defense uses each year was too hard. amazing that anyone can find it in 5 minutes of googling. so much for ABC Fact Checkers. but, they sure did manage to bring up the now thoroughly debunked CDC numbers for gun deaths.

the only thing this show was intended to do to frighten the uninformed, and further inflame those with already anti-leanings. this wasn't journalism, it was a fricking worm infested pile of dung.

now, excuse me while i take all the curse words i wanted to share, and scream into a pillow....

The sad part was ALL the bad things about guns related to stupid gun owners.

1: Guns left loaded in a garage that is being cleaned out by young kids being paid to clean.

2: Actor goading another into looking to see if the gun is loaded.

3: Guns in a toy box.

4: Idiot policeman shooting self in foot

5: Young kids finding loaded gun, killing friend by accident.

6: Man taking son to gun range, then someone else has accidental discharge at same range but TOTALLY unrelated.
    I carry a gun for the same reason I own a smoke detector...I never, ever, plan on needing them...but if I do need them, and have them in a box...I won't be able to get to them for use fast enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Chroode View Post

Let's see, they made a point of saying the the average person cannot draw their weapon in a time of crisis to shoot the BG. I guess the police have some superhuman reflex to draw out of their anti-theft retention holsters.
    That reminds me of another stupid demonstration. They took Diane to a sim trainer, had her in a position where a guy flings open the back of a van and IMMEDIATLEY cranks off 2 shot gun rounds. Come on, 90% of the police in America would not survive that, not to mention an anti-gun reporter who has ZERO training.
    I carry a gun for the same reason I own a smoke detector...I never, ever, plan on needing them...but if I do need them, and have them in a box...I won't be able to get to them for use fast enough.

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    googling. so much for ABC Fact Checkers. but, they sure did manage to bring up the now thoroughly debunked CDC numbers for gun deaths. ....
    I found that amazing too, when they said "...Americans will be killed by guns this year" I immediately thought, Oh, Ya, that's why I want to own one. The bad guys are doing most of the killing!!!

How can one rely on police to protect them? Everyone, even police know that they cannot be everywhere at once.
    Also (not trying to put down police training) but statistics show, in actual gunfights police miss there target with as much as 85% of the rounds they fire. So saying only police are trained to use weapons proficiently or safley is bs.
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

Unhappy You DO NOT have a constitutional right to police protection

Given the court's position that the police are not obliged to protect us.... READ BELOW.

Court Says No Protection Required

FOXNews.com - The Right to Self-Defense - Opinion
    The Right to Self-Defense
    Monday, July 18, 2005

By Wendy McElroy

On June 27, in the case of Castle Rock v. Gonzales, the Supreme Court found that Jessica Gonzales did not have a constitutional right to police protection even in the presence of a restraining order.

By a vote of 7-to-2, the Supreme Court ruled that Gonzales has no right to sue her local police department for failing to protect her and her children from her estranged husband.

I'm sure in a real life scenario you'd be wearing $2 gloves that are a size to big. I also like how the setting was a college classroom. One of the places a defensive shooting is very unlikely to ever happen, because its a Gun Free Zone. Executions happen there.

It sounds like the title was trying to lure new gun owners in, so that they can scare them and make them not want to have a gun
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

This is the email I sent to as many of the sponsors as I could find a good email for. Hope I get some replies and don't have to cancel my Verizon phone.

To whom it may concern:

Due to your support of ABC's broadcast of 20/20 on April 10 2009. I nor my family can no longer support your bussiness or service. If the views of this show are not the ones of your bussiness, and you would like my hard earned dollars. Publicly withdray all ads from ABC. I will be posting this email and all replies on like minded forums for all to see. I will also CC ABC for any input they may have. I will take no replies as proof you do not need my bussiness.

Yours turly
    Bryan Jackson
    Sorry to Nitpick, but that's a double negative. Therefore reversing the meaning of your statement.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Links