Reaction from ABC's 20/20 Anti-Gun Episode (Merged)

This is a discussion on Reaction from ABC's 20/20 Anti-Gun Episode (Merged) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was working last night so I didn't get to watch this fine piece of work , but I got the following from a good ...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reaction from ABC's 20/20 Anti-Gun Episode (Merged)

I was working last night so I didn't get to watch this fine piece of work , but I got the following from a good friend in an email and thought I'd share:

All,

Tonight 20/20 aired a totally biased episode on guns and gun violence. In this episode, they presented many false or skewed facts. Below I have listed a few and their explanations. Also, at the end of the show, they said they looked long and hard for a study that supported the fact that a gun is helpful in defending yourself against a crime. They couldn't find one. I ask you to all email the producers and forward this to all the people you know and ask them to do the same. We have the power to show our strength in numbers.

They presented several shocking statistics about how many children are killed by guns each year. This is an old trick and a dirty one. One thing they fail to mention is that in their statistic, "children" are defined as anyone under 26. This means they count a 25 year old gang member in LA shooting another 25 year old rival gang member a "child" killed by a firearm. No kidding. Take all the guns away and they will hack each other apart with machete's. Look at Africa and South America.

Second, they apparently haven't heard of John Lott's book, More guns less crime. It details the decrease of crime in all states that have inacted a Right to carry law. My guess is either they didn't know where to find a book store that would sell a "pro gun" book, or they were unable to undermine his statistics with lies that would be believable, even to an anti gun audience.

Third,
    The had a guy go into a gun show and buy all sorts of guns to show the "gun show loophole". They didn't just use a regular anti gun citizen. They pulled at your heartstrings with a guy whose sister was killed at Virginia tech. This guy has been working hard to get the Virginia government to change gun show laws. The funny thing is, even if he was successful in getting that done 10 years ago, it wouldn't have saved his sister. The guy that shot her bought the Glock that he used at a gun store, legally and registered. This is ridiculous. That is like my brother getting killed by a drunk driver in a truck. So I try to get the legislature to pass a bill making it illegal to fly an airplane if you are intoxicated. Oh wait, it is illegal to fly an airplane while intoxicated. It is also illegal to shoot someone with a gun, any gun.

Last, they had a student put a training pistol containing paint rounds on. They did have several people with varying degrees of firearms experience. They put them in a classroom, front and center. They were told later in the day, they would use the firearm. Then they had a Police firearms instructor burst into the room and shoot the teacher, then the armed student. They presented this a inexplicable proof that you cannot defend yourself in any situation. They didn't bother to use typical scientific protocol like a double blind. They placed one student in the front row of a class of 30 or so, then had the trained instructor shoot the professor, then the student with a gun. They also had the instructor say on tape that you will lose any skills you acquired by training in 1 to 2 months of inactivity. Please contact your local police office and make sure they train every single month. I would hate to think that the people sworn to protect me when they take my guns have forgotten their training. Especially when they rarely shoot more often than 4 to 5 times a year.

Please remind people there are many self defense situations. Even if the situation ABC presented were true and all the students in that room were killed. How likely would it be that the gunman could then walk to the room next door containing a student with a gun and kill all of them too? Not very likely. Also, if the gunman was a video gamer who had little experience and the student was an avid IDPA shooter, the outcome would likely be very different. Heck, put me in a room and send in the instructor without telling him where I was, and things would have been different. Or arm several other students and see how far he gets.

Remember, the first step in getting rid of guns historically has always been to require law abiding people to register their guns. Then they just round them up later. It happened in England, it happened in Germany, it happened in Australia, and it could happen here. Oppose all registration of guns no matter how innocent or well intentioned it may appear.

-Plop
    "In America, freedom and justice have always come from the ballot box, the jury box, and when that fails, the cartridge box."
    -- Steve Symms, US Senator from Idaho, 1990

I watched it. Left wing bias.
    Keep your powder dry

It seems to me that the indoctrination which preceded the extreme restrictions in the UK, Australia, and Canada was convincing the public of three things:

that individuals are incapable of defending themselves.

that individuals can expect the police to save them.

that even if they CAN defend themselves effectively,
    it is IMMORAL for them to do so.

these are the lynchpins of all the anti gun rhetoric, and rather than going all constitutional and such to the fence sitters (who are not even clear on what century WWII was in) we need to hammer these deranged premises to the people who don't yet understand the issue.

Typical antigun brainwashing hysteria
    "Brains before Bullets"

ABC's 20/20

Sorry, some things just have to be mentioned....

I didn't expect ABC to do as thorough a hatchet job as they did.

Here are my thoughts.

On the classroom scenerio, you had a trained LE firearms instructor acting as the perp. He knew his target (the student that was CCWing) and after the initial shot to the "teacher", he was gunning for the CCW "student".

Granted, the "student" (with no weapons training) made some fatal errors (couldn't get weapon out of holster, stood straight up and failed to obtain cover, etc.), but the "shooter" knew exactly who to target. Unlikely in a real situation, where the perp either sprays the room with gunfire or targets victims as he/she walks.

The second section about kids with guns, while an important topic, obviously was designed to show that everyone that has a gun in the home is irresponsible. Make no mistake about it, kids and guns don't mix but the article failed to take into account the millions of gunowners that are responsible.

This country fails to properly prosecute perps that commit gun crimes or have a gun in their possession when committing crime. And the court system fails to lock these perps up for maximum sentences.

Every community in every state in this country has been victimized by some thug that should have been in prison but instead got an early release or little or no jail time.

And let me just state this (IMHO): practically all of the mass-shootings in this country were done by guys that did not have any felony record to speak of and did obtain their weapons either legally (or removed them from a family member's home).

I think in the case of these mass-shootings, all the gun laws would not have prevented the crime.

With regard to those shooters, whatever happened to just plain crazy?

Not all of those mass-shooters are as squeaky clean as you might think. See link...

LET'S ALL SURRENDER OUR WEAPONS -- YOU FIRST!

To be fair ABC should have shown what a trained CCW holder could do but this is another Diane Sawyer (I hate guns) forcing her agenda on the American public.
    Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeros everywhere... and I thought I saw a two.

The basic theme of the program is that no one is qualified to own or use guns except police and even they aren't real good at it. The solution offered is to run away ( ok if you can do it ) or do nothing and die because if you try and use a gun you will fail or shoot an innocent person. What garbage. The name of the game is training and more training but even untrained you have better odds then just waiting to die. This program was without a doubt one of the worse, biased, one sided pieces of journalism I have seen in a long time. I am naive I keep hoping the media will provide an even handed appoach. I guess it isn't ever going to happen. In ABC's case, maybe that's why I don't watch this channel.

Bender.... enjoyed the article.

In all of the killings (even where one of the bad guys supposedly bought his guns legal), I have not heard of a single one of them carrying a CCW. That to me would have been a good point to make by Dianne Sawyer, but we all know here feelings.

My wife used not to be able to understand that....why the News would report that these BAD GUYS legally owned their guns. I've started pointing this out to her; "Honey, have you heard of them having a CCW or any training"? I'm sure that someone with a CCW can crack to, but I am *** proud to be a CCW holder & I cherrish my permit. It has made be a better person because of it, and I hope that I never loose that right.

Also, no coverage given of the times when a gun SAVED someone.

I was very dissapointed but not suprised.

That's all I'm going to say about that...

Slow is steady and steady is fast.

The classroom scenario was so cherry picked. That was more of an ambush or perfessional hit than anything else. Also, anyone else notice the how they put the "good guy" front and center in a three tiered room. How about the countless other scenarios where someone with a gun has more than nanoseconds to react.

One statement that got me fired up was when they said the ATF says the majority of guns used in crimes come from gunshows, however they have no records and don't really know the percentage since records are very difficult to keep. So if there are no records, how do they know?
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

I knew that this show was going to be an anti's propaganda showcase going into it, what i didn't expect was the one sided aspect of the show, I thought that at least in some small portion of the show they would acknowledge the good that a trained ccw would have in a given situation, but then again this is ABC.
    EDC's Colt Defender 45 acp and S&W 442 .38
    Springfield XD 45 acp
    Ruger SR9
    Ruger Super RedHawk .44 mag
    mossberg 590 12 gauge tactical
    bushmaster AR15-M4

Quote Originally Posted by TravisABQ View Post
    It seems to me that the indoctrination which preceded the extreme restrictions in the UK, Australia, and Canada was convincing the public of three things:

that individuals are incapable of defending themselves.

that individuals can expect the police to save them.

that even if they CAN defend themselves effectively,
    it is IMMORAL for them to do so.

these are the lynchpins of all the anti gun rhetoric, and rather than going all constitutional and such to the fence sitters (who are not even clear on what century WWII was in) we need to hammer these deranged premises to the people who don't yet understand the issue.

I agree!
    "In America, freedom and justice have always come from the ballot box, the jury box, and when that fails, the cartridge box."
    -- Steve Symms, US Senator from Idaho, 1990

I just wonder why they didn't have one of the kids come in and be the attacker with the trained shooter sitting in the class with everyone else.

I just loved how they said the normal concealed carry person would be way slower than the cops because of their superior level of training. While that may be the case with some carriers and some cops, I am pretty sure that a lot of folks on this site could out perform a lot of cops that are on the job.

While I only watched bits and pieces of it, my wife watched the whole thing, but I am sure I didn't miss anything important to me.

I surely hope that none of our members have decided to put down thier guns and attempt to play dead if ever in a situation like this.

What a freaking joke of program.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Man the article from Ann Coulter is right to the point, great stuff. If anyone in these groups would of had a CCW ( and carrying) things might of been a little different.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Links