Can you tell me about 7mm-08?

This is a discussion on Can you tell me about 7mm-08? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I admit, I'd never even heard of the cartridge until my brother told me he wanted to by a rifle chambered for it. (Don't know ...

Thread: Can you tell me about 7mm-08?

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar

I admit, I'd never even heard of the cartridge until my brother told me he wanted to by a rifle chambered for it. (Don't know the model; think it is a Marlin.)

So, what's the skinny on the 7mm-08?
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

VIP Member
    It's a 308 brass casing necked down to accept a 7mm bullet. Very flat shooting, with lighter recoil than the 308. That's all I know about it. My brother has one, it's supposed to be fairly equal to a 270, but in a short action.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Senior Moderator
    Exellent cartridge that is very popular for woman and kids for deer rifles.

Great accuracy,low recoil, gets the job done,great deer killer.

Chambered in short action rifles, which makes them a bit smaller and lighter to carry.

Ammo is easy to find and it seems to be more effective on deer than a .243, which is also popular for the same reasons.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

jfl
    20 and some years ago we used 7mm Laser in a Remington XP-100 single shot pistol for 'Handgun Silhouette Shooting" (IHMSA).
    A 308 case shortened and necked down to 7mm; very flat trajectory, very accurate, and manageable recoil - my 115 lbs wife would shoot the 40 shots of a match with no problem.
    Did my first "40" with that pistol ...
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Sponsored Links