Want a 22lr revolver

Want a 22lr revolver

This is a discussion on Want a 22lr revolver within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am thinking about buying a 22lr revolver for plinking and to keep ammo cost down. I need your comments about the Taurus model 94, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Want a 22lr revolver

Want a 22lr revolver

I am thinking about buying a 22lr revolver for plinking and to keep ammo cost down. I need your comments about the Taurus model 94, 4 inch blued barrel, 9 shot revolver. I like the looks and the feel plus adjustable sights but is the gun o.k or should I stay away and look elsewhere.
    prior USAF
    1911 COLT MODEL 80/ KAHR CW45
    XD 9MM SUB COMPACT/ P22/ S&W 442
    TAURUS 85/ REMINGTON 870
    Don't let them destroy our 2nd ammendment rights.
    I want Obama & his policies to fail, but I want our country to succeed.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I think the weapon you mentioned is simply okay. Another OK choice is the charter arms pathfinder. None of these are high quality but they're okay or decent guns. Do you want a double action so it's similar to a carry gun? If not you might want to consider a single action ruger.

I like some of the Smith & Wesson .22's but they're very expensive in my opinion unless you can find a used one and right now that's a bit hard to do.

I'd personally love to find a used Ruger SP101 in .22. I'd keep my eyes open for one of those as well as you look around.

I have a Taurus 9 shot .22 snubbie ultralite. I can sometimes get 15 to 20 rounds downrange before the spent cases start refusing to eject from the cylinder. Not a good thing for a plinker. Ejection requires tapping on the ejection rod with a small hammer or something similar. Very annnoying. Naturally I would never buy another Taurus in .22. When I do buy another .22 it will be a S&W.

I have both S&W and Taurus revolvers in other calibers. When taken apart there is a marked difference in quality. Not saying the Taurus line is bad. Just not as good in design, workmanship and quality of metals used. If Smith revolvers are a 10 then Taurus would be a six or seven.
    "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo. You fingered Sonny for the Barzini people."

Super Single Six Convertible model NR6. This blued steel .22 LR/.22 Magnum revolver comes with a 6 1/2 inch barrel and the same adjustable sights as the Blackhawk and Super Blackhawk. It is 11 13/16 inches in overall length, and weighs 40 ounces. 2 cylinders in 22lr and 22 magnum.

You can probably find one for around 425-450.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Single-six - "nuf said"

If you can invest in a quality revolver. I have a S&W Model 317, after the $50 rebate it was around $540 worth every penny.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Quote Originally Posted by jpc View Post
    I am thinking about buying a 22lr revolver for plinking and to keep ammo cost down. I need your comments about the Taurus model 94, 4 inch blued barrel, 9 shot revolver. I like the looks and the feel plus adjustable sights but is the gun o.k or should I stay away and look elsewhere.
    I picked up one of these used (in great shape) for $180.00 a few months ago. It is an OK shooter. The trigger pull is long and stiff. But all in all it is a fun gun to shoot.
    If I had the money to buy new I think I would get a S&W with a 5" barrel.

Lead Moderator
    As much as I dislike Taurus, my brother owns a 94 and it shoots well, seems decently built.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    another vote of confidence for the Ruger Single Action Six. I have a "three screw" model from around 1971 (with both lr and magnum cylinders) that is a tack driver. They are slow enough to extract and re-load that you will find yourself even conserving .22 cal ammo.

surv

A Single-Six is a mighty fine pistol.
    But if you already have a 1911, don't discount this little attachment for 'plinking'...

Advantage Arms Inc. - Handgun Conversion Kits - Official Manufacturer Site
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by wvshooter View Post
    I have a Taurus 9 shot .22 snubbie ultralite. I can sometimes get 15 to 20 rounds downrange before the spent cases start refusing to eject from the cylinder. Not a good thing for a plinker. Ejection requires tapping on the ejection rod with a small hammer or something similar. Very annnoying. Naturally I would never buy another Taurus in .22. When I do buy another .22 it will be a S&W.

I have both S&W and Taurus revolvers in other calibers. When taken apart there is a marked difference in quality. Not saying the Taurus line is bad. Just not as good in design, workmanship and quality of metals used. If Smith revolvers are a 10 then Taurus would be a six or seven.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

i have had good luck cleaning up sticky cylinders with the flitz, or semi-chrome. i ran one of the cleaning tips, looks like a tampon, on a drill in the holes with the polish.

I have a Taurus 94 SS4 and so far have had no problems. I did clip a few coils off the hammer spring to make the DA trigger pull reasonable. I really wanted a S&W 617 but at more than twice the price, couldn't justify it for a plinking handgun when I already have a S&W 41 that I've had for years.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

An older Smith & Wesson Model 17 K-22 Masterpiece is a very satisfying way to enjoy shooting the .22 Long Rifle. I've put far more rounds through my Model 17 than any other firearm I've owned since I purchased it new in 1980. I like the ungainly 8 3/8-inch barrel but they were commonly available with a 6-inch barrel which might be more handy and well balanced. The Model 17 is very accurate and very dependable.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I have a H&R I bought when they were still made, Nice inexpensive gun, 9 shot, Short Long or LR, swing cyl, N has been a good shooter over the years...
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

VIP Member
    My favorite handgun is my 4" S&W 617 .22LR!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links