Looking for Ways to Make My Rifle Fun to Shoot - Page 2

Looking for Ways to Make My Rifle Fun to Shoot

This is a discussion on Looking for Ways to Make My Rifle Fun to Shoot within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hoss, my gun has no magazine. I have been treating it like it is a single-shot gun but I think you can jam 4-5 cartridges ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for Ways to Make My Rifle Fun to Shoot

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar
    Hoss, my gun has no magazine. I have been treating it like it is a single-shot gun but I think you can jam 4-5 cartridges in there & shoot 'em like that.

I think today's Savage rifles are determined long or short action by the model number. Model 11 short action, model 111 long action...same with the model 10/110. Your rifle should have a blind magazine (no opening in the stock underneath magazine) just like my 110. 1995 sounds antique in a way, but it's modern era, and really not that long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by McPatrickClan View Post
    Hoss, my gun has no magazine. I have been treating it like it is a single-shot gun but I think you can jam 4-5 cartridges in there & shoot 'em like that.
    That would be a captive (blind) magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I think today's Savage rifles are determined long or short action by the model number. Model 11 short action, model 111 long action...same with the model 10/110. Your rifle should have a blind magazine (no opening in the stock underneath magazine) just like my 110. 1995 sounds antique in a way, but it's modern era, and really not that long ago.
    Had not noticed that before about the Savage rifles but they must have begun that sometime after his rifle if his is a model 111 in 308.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I am almost certain it is a pre-1995 made rifle because on the Savage website, they say if your serial number is lower than XXXXX, then we have no records on your gun. They go on to say that there was a management/ownership change in the mid-90s and the previous group did not keep great records...

OK, so I found this stock:

Cabela's -- Bell and Carlson Savage Heavy-Barrel Stocks - Black Web

Seems like it would be great... but how can I tell if it will fit my 111? Just trial & error?

OK, so I found this stock:

Cabela's -- Bell and Carlson Savage Heavy-Barrel Stocks - Black Web

Seems like it would be great... but how can I tell if it will fit my 111? Just trial & error?
    Is your rifle a varmint contour barrel or a standard profile barrel? The link you give to Cabela's is for a varmint contour barrel which would definitely free-float a standard contour barrel. You may just want to contact Bell & Carlson and ask which of their stocks will fit your rifle. At the least, read the description given here at Midway for some more details about what they fit.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

CVHoss, I do not know. I am going to try to research this more & find an answer. BTW, does anyone know if replacing a stock is a tough thing for a new guy to do?

VIP Member
    Hey ACTimmy- is that Lee Deluxe Rifle Sizing Die Set all I really need to begin reloading .308 ammo?

I just assumed reloading was expensive, like $1,000+ for minimal savings.
    No, but not too much more. The Lee anniversary kit + the dies for about $140 is all you need. There used to be a cheaper kit (it's what I started on) but I can't find it for you. You will also need loading books.
    You need a press, a scale, and some dies at a minimum. The Lee kit throws in some other goodies as well.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

VIP Member
    This is a good starter kit. Add dies and a book and you're ready.

Cabela's -- Lee Anniversary Reloading Kit
    Last edited by atctimmy; April 13th, 2009 at 01:48 AM. Reason: Poor use of the English language
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

CVHoss, I do not know. I am going to try to research this more & find an answer. BTW, does anyone know if replacing a stock is a tough thing for a new guy to do?
    With a properly fitting, fully inlet stock you should have very few problems. I have had a few where I had to do some minor additional mods around the trigger guard, where the magazine sets in or in the barrel channel.

Hoss

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Not at all difficult unless you get the wrong stock. A Dremel tool is nice to have for fiberglass or any stock fitting for that matter. A file would still do the trick. The B&C stock for my Savage came with aluminum pillars and was a very good fit right out of the box. I did do some trimming on the webbing in the fore end though and around the area of the barrel nut. There are also voids where extra weight can be placed. I did what I could to mine then turned it over to Aurora Tactical for the action bedding and trigger work.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I did what I could to mine then turned it over to Aurora Tactical for the action bedding and trigger work.
    If I do choose to replace the stock, should I plan on having to do an action bedding & "seating" the trigger?

If I do choose to replace the stock, should I plan on having to do an action bedding & "seating" the trigger?
    It's not necessary. Just depends on how far you'd want to go in the accuracy/distance department. For me and my 110FP, it was just taking out some variables.

At this point... not far! I am just looking to have fun and shoot some rounds.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links