Looking for Ways to Make My Rifle Fun to Shoot

This is a discussion on Looking for Ways to Make My Rifle Fun to Shoot within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am not really a big rifle guy but have an older Savage rifle chambered for .308 in my safe. I have a Nikon scope ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Ways to Make My Rifle Fun to Shoot

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar

Looking for Ways to Make My Rifle Fun to Shoot

I am not really a big rifle guy but have an older Savage rifle chambered for .308 in my safe. I have a Nikon scope mounted and the stock is a nice wood.

I plan to use the rifle to take an occasional deer, hog, etc. I would also like to have some fun target shooting. I have a very limited budget but have some Cabela's gift cards I am going to use this month.

Assuming this rifle is just average, what are some inexpensive upgrades I can make to it (i.e. things I can pick up at a place like Cabela's... bipod, etc.) to make it a fun shooter over the long haul?

2. Remove Ads

Here is what I would do since it's what I've done. Get an aftermarket stock, fiberglass or laminated that is lighter than the current solid wood stock. Bipods are nice in some instances, but a set of bags is better IMO. .308 is a real nice cartridge to start reloading for, and your quest for the best accuracy out of your rifle should keep you interested and testing yourself and your loads. Deer and hogs? The .308 could make a nice varmint rifle with 95gr HPs. Depending on funds and priorities, you could also have your action bedded and your trigger pull adjusted/lightened. To me the .308win is the best and most versatile cartridge one could have in their rifle collection especially for the reloader, and the Savage rifles make an excellent opportunity. Get yourself out to the 3-500yd range and have some fun. Work with the scope you've already got unless you want to get into the really big bucks.

RamRod, if you replace the stock, how do you replace the piece under the barrel that is wood also? Does it usually come in a kit?

Administrator
    It would help if you could either post a PIC of your rifle or include more specific info about it like the model number if there is one.

BTW, I have a pre-1995 Savage 111

Fits long action three digit models of Savage rifles:
    Bell and Carlson Carbelite Rifle Stocks
    Just like my 110FP. Is yours a two piece stock?

I don't consider myself an upgrade expert at all but if recoil is perhaps making the gun "not fun to shoot" consider a good recoil pad. I put a Limb Saver brand on my Remington 700 in 30-06 and my Winchester model 12 and it made a world of difference in shooting pleasure for this old guy.
    oldogy
    Government is out of control
    "If gun laws in fact worked, the sponsors of this type of legislation should have no difficulty drawing upon long lists of examples of crime rates reduced by such legislation. That they cannot do so after a century and a half of trying -- " Sen Orrin G. Hatch

Quote Originally Posted by McPatrickClan View Post
    RamRod, if you replace the stock, how do you replace the piece under the barrel that is wood also? Does it usually come in a kit?
    I'm at a loss to figure out your question. The current Savage 111 rifles have a one piece stock. Is yours something different?

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

kpw
    Could it be a Savage 99?

VIP Member
    Assuming this rifle is just average, what are some inexpensive upgrades I can make to it (i.e. things I can pick up at a place like Cabela's... bipod, etc.) to make it a fun shooter over the long haul?
    Get a Lee reloading kit for about $50. Get the one that comes with all the goodies and the Lee reloading book. Cabelas sells them. Once you start to reload for your rifle you wont be able to put it down. Reloading is like a crack addiction for newer shooters. You'll be excited to see just how well the ammo that you made will shoot. Then you will be able to make adjustments and changes to make it shoot even better!

You posted a while ago about the recoil bothering you. With reloading you will be able to handload less powerful ammo that will be easier on you at the range. Less recoil means more shooting and better shooting habits (no flinch).

For less than $100 bucks you can get set up to reload. Give it a try. I guarantee you will like shooting even more after you start "rolling your own"!

Also a Pachmayer decelerator recoil pad will help with the recoil as well.

Cabela's -- Lee Deluxe Rifle Sizing Die Set

I couldn't find the cheaper kit with the book. If you decide to try reloading I'll mail you a book for free. :)

Cabela's -- Lee Anniversary Reloading Kit

Cabela's -- Pachmayr Pre-Fit Decelerator Recoil Pad System
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

VIP Member
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Fits long action three digit models of Savage rifles:
    Bell and Carlson Carbelite Rifle Stocks
    Just like my 110FP. Is yours a two piece stock?
    No, it's a one-piece. (my apologies to you CVHOSS!) I am total greenie, so I just assumed they were two different parts! I saw one screw under the barrel and one on either side of the trigger guard. Is that all that holds the stock on the rifle?

Also, how do I know if my rifle is a long action or short action?

BTW, how will the stock affect the performance? Or will it just make it look more "evil?"

Hey ACTimmy- is that Lee Deluxe Rifle Sizing Die Set all I really need to begin reloading .308 ammo?

I just assumed reloading was expensive, like $1,000+ for minimal savings.

No, it's a one-piece. (my apologies to you CVHOSS!) I am total greenie, so I just assumed they were two different parts! I saw one screw under the barrel and one on either side of the trigger guard. Is that all that holds the stock on the rifle?

BTW, how will the stock affect the performance? Or will it just make it look more "evil?"
    I'm no expert, but I did just buy a savage .308, so here goes. Yes, thos 3 screws are all that hold the action and barrel to the stock.

Most .308s I've seen, including mine, are short action, but I could be wrong.

The stock can really make or break a rifle, IMO. Depending on the type of bedding the action has and how the stock affects the barrel. I'm sure someone with more gunsmithing expertise can explain it better, but a good stock does a lot more than just making it look evil
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Yes, those three screws are what hold the stock to the action, though it's usually only two of them (the forearm screw and the front trigger guard screw). Though it may not be exact, this should be a pretty close owner's manual for your rifle.

Length of the action is determined by the cartridge the gun is chambered for. 308 is a short action cartridge. 300 Win Mag, 30-06 would be examples of a long action.

Yes, a good synthetic stock can dramatically improve performance, especially over a non-bedded wood stock. My favorite replacement stock is the Bell & Carlson Medalist but you may find your choices very limited because of the make and model of your rifle. Does your rifle have a captive magazine or a removable magazine?

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links