Safe handling question - Page 2

Safe handling question

This is a discussion on Safe handling question within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by seawolf1956 I'll consider all comments to the question, but I'm tending to agree with Nitro ... I don't see how a striker-fired ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Safe handling question

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by seawolf1956 View Post
    I'll consider all comments to the question, but I'm tending to agree with Nitro ... I don't see how a striker-fired weapon could be dropped and suddenly fire on its own.

What about a revolver, for example the S&W 642, with an unexposed trigger --- if dropped, could it fire?

-Seawolf
    I think you mean an unexposed hammer? Probably not.

Ruger on the other hand uses a transfer mechanism and hammer safety to disable the firing pin unless the hammer is pulled back and the trigger releases it.

Quote Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
    I think you mean an unexposed hammer? ...
    Uh ... yes . Thanks for the correction, my friend.

-Seawolf
    "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    IDPA Member & RSO, KSRA Life Member, NRA Life Member, NRA Firearms Instructor & RSO, KS CCH Instructor (www.thekasdg.com)

All Striker fired pistols are not the same. Glocks, for example, have their striker spring at 40% cocked until the trigger is depressed, compressing the stirker spring the rest of the way before releasing, thereby making them a kind-of double action pistol. (M&P's are similar).

XD's on the other hand, have the striker spring at more than 90% compressed, making them much more similiar to a single action pistol, though few XDs have the manual thumb safety of a 1911 style SA (though they do have a grip safety).

Also, the reason the third (or is it fourth now) generation glocks have so many "drop" safety features is that first generation glocks had a serious problem with discharges when dropped and striking nose first on the ground or other hard surfaces.

Short version: there are any number of ways a pistol can discharge without the trigger being depressed, but the more modern the pistol and the better maintained it is, the less likely for it to occur.

I am a mechanical engineer and know for a fact that any mechanical instrument that is made is not completely fail safe. All the precautions in the world can fail if the right things line up.

I mean if you drop a gun enough times it will in all likelihood will go off without the trigger being pulled. It is a game of statistics it might not be the first time it falls that it goes off, but again it could be.

As a general rule don't drop your firearm and you shouldn't have problems.
    Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred that it be postponed. -Winston Churchill-

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BearCat View Post
    I am a mechanical engineer and know for a fact that any mechanical instrument that is made is not completely fail safe. All the precautions in the world can fail if the right things line up.

I mean if you drop a gun enough times it will in all likelihood will go off without the trigger being pulled. It is a game of statistics it might not be the first time it falls that it goes off, but again it could be.

As a general rule don't drop your firearm and you shouldn't have problems.
    Thank you.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

My understanding is, If you drop your weapon let it drop, DO NOT try to catch it.
    It is more likely that you will catch the trigger and the weapon going off then it being discharged by the impact.
    I am referring to Glocks, XD's and any other weapon with internal safeties, such as my Ruger SP101.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links