Safe handling question

This is a discussion on Safe handling question within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Statement : "A fully loaded double-action only semi-auto pistol (with one in the chamber), or double-action only revolver, WILL NEVER FIRE unless someone (or some ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safe handling question

Safe handling question

Statement: "A fully loaded double-action only semi-auto pistol (with one in the chamber), or double-action only revolver, WILL NEVER FIRE unless someone (or some thing) pulls the trigger."

(Assume either handgun lacks any kind of safety mechanism)

TRUE or FALSE? Why? (explain)

-Seawolf
    "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    IDPA Member & RSO, KSRA Life Member, NRA Life Member, NRA Firearms Instructor & RSO, KS CCH Instructor (www.thekasdg.com)

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    False, most modern firarms, not all, have a hammer firing pin disconnect safety.
    Thus a fall or other inpact on the hammer can cause the weapon to fire, if this safety is not a feature.
    Also, several weapons of low quality can be fired other ways. Such as a japanese semiauto from WWII could be fired be exessive pressure on the left side of the frame.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

YUP what he said
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Wow. I was gonna say true. Dropping it never occured to me. Does it have to drop hammer down? Muzzel down? Or can it fire if droped either way?

It depends on the weapon fernset, even if a weapon does have the safety it still may fire if dropped. There was an incident that an XD, which has almost every safety invented on it, was dropped by a concealed carrier while in a public restroom, and it fired. Destroyed the toilet, and proably caused the owner to need new underwear. So needless to say, any safety can fail, sometimes in the worst ways.
    My family has a Davis that the safety is broken, so now the weapon is completely inoperable now.

Terri, I believe you are wrong. I've heard the same story and the firearm in question was a 1911 style pistol, which everyone knows that the only way to carry one is in condition 1 (round chambered, cocked, and locked), also very dangerous IMO. XD's (and Glocks) are striker fired, and I can say with 99.9999999999999999999999999999999% accuracy that they will not fire unless the trigger is pulled.

I'll consider all comments to the question, but I'm tending to agree with Nitro ... I don't see how a striker-fired weapon could be dropped and suddenly fire on its own.

What about a revolver, for example the S&W 642, with an unexposed trigger --- if dropped, could it fire?

-Seawolf
    "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    IDPA Member & RSO, KSRA Life Member, NRA Life Member, NRA Firearms Instructor & RSO, KS CCH Instructor (www.thekasdg.com)

Striker fire weapons can fire when dropped. Remember several models do not have a true double action system, but are actually a version of single action. Meaning the striker is "cocked" until the trigger is pulled, and will not "recock" unless the weapon cycles IE the slide racks back and recocks the striker.

I carry my auto loaded and chambered at all times, sig 220. I carry all my revolvers with the hammer on an empty cylinder bore, simply cause I was taught that way long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by nitrohead View Post
    Terri, I believe you are wrong. I've heard the same story and the firearm in question was a 1911 style pistol, which everyone knows that the only way to carry one is in condition 1 (round chambered, cocked, and locked), also very dangerous IMO. XD's (and Glocks) are striker fired, and I can say with 99.9999999999999999999999999999999% accuracy that they will not fire unless the trigger is pulled.
    It was a Kahr P40 - I don't buy for an instant that he didn't grab at it and discharge it that way. Kahrs are only partially cocked, full cocking is completed by pulling the trigger, which at the same time depresses the safety bar, allowing the striker to travel forward. The striker is physically blocked from forward travel unless the trigger is pulled.

Deseret News | Man hurt when gun blasts toilet
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrohead View Post
    Curious as to why you believe that carrying a 1911 cocked and locked is very dangerous, but carrying a glock type pistol with a round in the chamber is not.

With the 1911, three things need to happen for the round to discharge: first, the manual safety needs to be disengaged, second, the grip safety needs to be disengaged, and third, the trigger needs to be pulled. With the Glock, etc., only the trigger needs to be pulled.

Also, I may be wrong, but I don't believe that there is a greater danger of the round discharging with a modern 1911 if dropped then with a Glock.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Lead Moderator
    Any mechanical device can fail. How likely a dropped gun will fire may reflect on what safety devices are incorporated.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

YouTube - The Glock Safe Action Pistol
    If any one wants to know Glock incorperates a drop technology so no ADs from dropping one. 3 safetys in one, not going to fire unless trigger and safety are pulled.
    Striker fire weapons can fire when dropped.
    CHP holder. EDC G27. I support VCDL, so glad to have them fighting for my rights.

VIP Member
    I learned a long time ago. NEVER say never. 99.9% of the time a modern DAO semi or DA revolver will not fire unless the trigger is pulled. However a gun is a mechanical instrument and anything can happen.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    SIGs are some of the most drop-safe pistols out there. I trust mine (as far as I trust any gun) not to go boom unless the trigger gets pulled.

Nonetheless, for all the reasons pointed out, I would not use the word never in describing this reliability. Other guns without such integrated drop-safe measures are obviously more likely to suffer from some sort of impact or inertia discharge.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links