Anyone shot a FNH Five Seven?

This is a discussion on Anyone shot a FNH Five Seven? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; For some reason I am completely obsessed with this pistol. Love the way it looks, like the feel in my hand and like the idea ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone shot a FNH Five Seven?

Anyone shot a FNH Five Seven?

For some reason I am completely obsessed with this pistol. Love the way it looks, like the feel in my hand and like the idea of a 20 shot magazine :)

So anyone shot one of these? They finallly have them in stock at a gun store near me and its getting tempting to pick one up.
    Attached Images
    A dozen means twelve, learn to count bakers! - Stephen Colbert

Colt 1991A1 and S&W M&P 45 Compact

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Ammo is hard to find and pricey. The gun shoots OK, hardly any recoil at all.

IMHO you'd be better served with a hi-cap 9mm in the 17-19+ round category, with a little extension you can get well over 20 in a few different platforms. My Hi Power can hold 17 with a small extension and my XDM holds 19 with a flush mag.

There are extended mags for most popular guns.

I've been trying to get my booger hooks on the .357 but there are no dealers within 100 miles of me. I'm not going to travel further just to check them out.

Nice looking gun though...
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

yeah, I've shot one- Fun to shoot hardly any kick, between a 9mm and .22. VERY ACCURATE.

I heard ammo was pricey, but after I shot it I went online and looked it up, it's not all that bad unless you are buying amour piercing rounds or something crazy.

What's kept me away from it is the proprietary ammunition. I don't like the idea that the most effective ammunition isn't available to civilians unless you buy no-name reloads.

Huh. it always amazes me that people say that the ammo is hard to find. My local shop has always carried it, and for about $20/box of 50, it isn't unreasonable. Shoot, I've seen 9mm going for that for some brands lately. And it is still less expensive than the SD ammo.

I do agree with JD though in the idea that if this is going to be for SD then just get a high cap 9mm. Better SD ballistics and you only lose 1-3 rounds. If it is just for fun I'd say go for it if you want it. Have fun.
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

Quote Originally Posted by jcaramis View Post
    For some reason I am completely obsessed with this pistol. Love the way it looks, like the feel in my hand and like the idea of a 20 shot magazine :)

So anyone shot one of these? They finallly have them in stock at a gun store near me and its getting tempting to pick one up.
    The only reason I have lost interest in that gun is because of the price of ammo for it compared to 9mm etc but it temping especially when you see a 10 round mag extention (making it possible to carry it wt 30 +1 rounds!)... and the mag with extension looks significantly shorter than those 30round glock mags).

My father's good friend has one and I have shot it a few times, recoil is certainly less than a 38special, 9mm etc... and follow up shots were very easy.. it was also accurate and 100yard plinking was no problem.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

My FFL told me that down here by the border the ATF was checking up on everybody that bought one or more of those pistols,seems drug gangs like em,when they asked him if they could see his,he went to his safe and got it.The ATF started laughing because out of everybody they checked he was the only one that still had his gun,In fact one lady bought 10 over a few weeks and couldn't produce any of them.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

It looks great, and from what I have read seems a nice enough gun, but I would go with a 9mm for SD.

I have heard that they have been adopted by the U.S. Secret Service, along with the P90 SMG in the same caliber. Anyone heard the same?

it's a fun gun, shot one many a time. Ammo for it isn't bad and lots to had around my parts...even by the case.

Family member got two (one is still in box, other we shoot all the time) right when they became available legally. They were banned....I think.

He also has various, very interesting rounds for it.

Price doesn't bother you, you really like...GO FOR IT!!!!

Great gun overall, but ammo is pricey.
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

The cost of ammo being pricey is no longer true and has not been for on the order of five years now.
    That was the case like 6 or 7 years ago, not anymore.
    Run a search on same subject here as I posted just this past fall prices on 5.7mm prices and supply from multiple sources and pricing is very competive to that of duty grade 9MM and .40 S&W. Not at all pricey as in relation to other conventional ammunition. Supplies are plentiful now too just not at Dicks or Wal Mart which is to be expected as they only sell conventional ammo that is in high demand.

The Five Seven was not banned either.
    A couple of states banned it and MA does not allow it but that's it. Check your own state laws to be definite it's lawful there.

I have not shot the Five Seven but have spent a good amount of time behind the P90 (LEO/MIL not the sporterized civilian version).
    The ammo n hand is the size of a big .22LR. Roughly 15% larger though not anywhere near the size of .223. I am going by recollection and it's been like 6 yrs. since I last had a round of it in hand.
    Recoil in the P90 is roughly half that of the AR firing military 5.56. Can be shot with _accuracy_ one handed with relative ease and follow on shots shot to shot with accuracy is same. Or atleast was the case in my hands.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

not sure how people can say $21 for a box of 50 is expensive ... when 9mm is $15 for a box of 50 and is backordered dang near everywhere I go ... the 5.7 is very much in stock every place I have been ... picked up 10 boxes at the one place and the guy said the 9mm ammo was at least a week out

Thumbs up

Yes I have a Fn 5.7. Ammo is about $21 a box. Its a great shooting gun. I live in the Puget sound area. Don,t wait to long to decide to buy.
    They go fast.
    To close for missiles, switching to guns.

Quote Originally Posted by rtmpgh View Post
    not sure how people can say $21 for a box of 50 is expensive ... when 9mm is $15 for a box of 50 and is backordered dang near everywhere I go ... the 5.7 is very much in stock every place I have been ... picked up 10 boxes at the one place and the guy said the 9mm ammo was at least a week out
    Yep.

This has been the case not for months but for _half_ a decade, though still the 5.7 ammo is pricey position continues as based on the last decades pricing from when both arms and the ammo were first introduced.

Weird.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links