Traveling this weekend, best legal way to carry in Cali? - Page 2

Traveling this weekend, best legal way to carry in Cali?

This is a discussion on Traveling this weekend, best legal way to carry in Cali? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Gentlemen...although it seems quite easy for many of us to bash California and its guns laws, that is not the intent of this topic. Those ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 30 of 30

Thread: Traveling this weekend, best legal way to carry in Cali?

  1. #16
    Senior Moderator
    Array HotGuns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    15,126
    Gentlemen...although it seems quite easy for many of us to bash California and its guns laws, that is not the intent of this topic.

    Those comments have been deleted and any others will be deleted.

    Please keep it on topic.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.


    AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/


  2. #17
    Senior Member Array CEW58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    797

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Rivers View Post
    1,000,000++++ for Rob P.

    I too am disappointed by all the uninformed CA bashing. Yes, there are legal issues which have been exaggerated by some powerful scum-sucking bottom-feeding politicians on local, state and national levels. But blaming CA gun enthusiasts for staying in CA??? You don't realize that we're putting these politicians in check. Example: SF Mayor Newsome pushing through Prop. H, banning handguns in SF. OVERTURNED in our own courts!

    Expect to see a lot of legal reversals favoring us in the next one or two years. CCW, AWB, magazine restrictions, etc. With Heller now being incorporated through the 9th Circuit, we have the legal basis and the legal expertise to do this. Now if we can only get some idiots with selfish agendas to quit peeing in our drinking water with their nunchuck 2A appeals....

    Oh, CCW varies widely in CA depending upon county of residence. That is a major issue now since there is a very arbitrary standard. But some counties are as close to shall issue as you can imagine. Others, like LA and SF, are very hostile to issuing CCW. This is likely to change via the courts.
    Personally I commend those of you that stick it out and fight to improve things out there. Comapred to many states California may be restrictive. For example I can't carry in your state but you can carry in mine. But if it weren't for the vocal gun enthusiasts in CA things could be a lot worse.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

    Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

  3. #18
    Member Array Rivers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    444
    Quote Originally Posted by CEW58 View Post
    For example I can't carry in your state but you can carry in mine. But if it weren't for the vocal gun enthusiasts in CA things could be a lot worse.
    Once we get Shall Issue in CA, you will either see reciprocity happen by law or by court order. Considering the agenda-driven behavior of our legislature, it will be a lawsuit. While we have a couple pro-gun Dem lawmakers, the vast majority are anti-gun Dems, a clear majority and capable of defeating any pro-gun bills. Today. Considering how badly they've also screwed up the budget, etc., there is distant hope that the populace will wake up. Maybe after they legalize marijuana...

    But you are very correct, it is unfair that you can't carry in CA. And I can (probably) carry in your state because Utah (or FL) allow me an out-of-state resident CCW. But not because I have a CA CCW. Heck, that's just barely recognized in CA! ;-)

  4. #19
    Senior Member Array CEW58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    797
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivers View Post
    Once we get Shall Issue in CA, you will either see reciprocity happen by law or by court order. Considering the agenda-driven behavior of our legislature, it will be a lawsuit. While we have a couple pro-gun Dem lawmakers, the vast majority are anti-gun Dems, a clear majority and capable of defeating any pro-gun bills. Today. Considering how badly they've also screwed up the budget, etc., there is distant hope that the populace will wake up. Maybe after they legalize marijuana...

    But you are very correct, it is unfair that you can't carry in CA. And I can (probably) carry in your state because Utah (or FL) allow me an out-of-state resident CCW. But not because I have a CA CCW. Heck, that's just barely recognized in CA! ;-)
    You can carry here as OK recognizes all CCW from any state, which is how it should be. Hopefully CA will become a shall issue state sooner than later. Keep up the pressure and don't let any anti-CA remarks get to you. We all live where we live for a reason. Rather than run away try to make changes for the better.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

    Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

  5. #20
    Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    1,099
    I travel to CA a lot and my first job coming back from SE/Asia was in L A (Western Ave and Wilshire), then got my teaching cert and taught at Lincoln Jr High in Bakersfield.
    I Kern county I carry how I want.
    In L A I put an unloaded Colt 1911 Commander pistol in a locked carry case that is just one number from a quick open. The mag is in a mag pouch on my belt. In the back seat I carry a loaded Win 94 as does every hunter in CA I know. It is in a quick zip soft case.
    If you are in imminant danger CA has other laws that step in and you can arm yourself to protect yourself and your family. I have several close lawyer friends who will jump in to defend a case like this.
    I travel to matches with my HBAR locked properly and can transport.

  6. #21
    Member Array Rivers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    444
    Quote Originally Posted by CEW58 View Post
    Keep up the pressure and don't let any anti-CA remarks get to you. We all live where we live for a reason. Rather than run away try to make changes for the better.
    It gets very frustrating sometimes but we try to keep an eye on the big picture. The laws will change significantly over the next year or so, and CA will become more like the other states than not.

    In truth, every time my family talks about moving to (AZ, TX, UT, etc.), it happens on a day when we have just awful weather. You know, cloudy, mid-60's, 5mph wind, mild humidity... In San Diego, that is brutal weather. I'm walking distance from the surf. These are reasons why I will personally fight for better CA laws rather than leave. I'd have to abandon most of my T-shirt collection!

  7. #22
    Member Array Coastie 585's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob P. View Post

    Thus, your statement that California is an extremely restrictive state is untrue based on your logic and argument. BTW, since Fla is not an "open carry" state, the same 2nd Amendment argument could be used against Florida's laws being "extremely restrictive" and THAT statement would be true post Heller.
    lol, we found something we both agree on.

    I just think it a bit strange to only issue ccws to people with "Good Cause". Oh well, more power to you for living there

  8. #23
    Senior Member Array Rob P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    In the sticks
    Posts
    631
    Quote Originally Posted by Coastie 585 View Post
    lol, we found something we both agree on.

    I just think it a bit strange to only issue ccws to people with "Good Cause". Oh well, more power to you for living there
    I believe that you (like most) think that "good cause" is something on the order of a "I have a TRO against my abusive (insert whatever relationship here) who has already tried to kill me twice and has put me into a coma both times..." type of thing. It is not.

    "Good cause" is anything which makes you more of a target than you would be ordinarily. And, as I said it can be easy to show good cause since just being a female realtor qualifies. However, every situation and person is unique so not everyone has sufficient cause to get a CCW license. And, not every person with the exact same circumstances qualifies in every county because of demographics and other political and social pressures. But, then this is probably the same sort of thing that happens in your state no matter which state you live in. This is true even in the "shall issue" states because some people just don't qualify (convicted felons or the guy with the TRO against him for ex).

  9. #24
    VIP Member Array Paco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    McKinney, TX
    Posts
    3,507
    Sunday I am heading to sunny San Diego for my first official family vacation (I've been married for 14 years, so bad on me for no vacations). Anyway...

    I'll be traveling for the first time since taking my own and family's personal safety seriously (read CHL).

    Here is my plan:

    1. Already own COM safe, will put my mobile number on the case and several pieces to cover the sides to tell if it has been opened at all.
    2. TSA and AA regulations printed in duplicate to put in suitcase and carry in hand.
    3. Purchased a 10 rd. mag for my handgun.
    4. Have a plan of action for when driving, I keep the safe with me and my Wife keeps the mag so the two are seperate but can be easily combined if needed.
    5. CA legal Paraframe knife to keep on hand and a sturdy pen that can be used for h2h if needed.
    6. lots of cash, credit limit, and traveler's checks to help the tourism department out.
    7. Importing the In-Laws for periodic babysitting (the anniversary is next Tue.)


    Does that sound like all I need to do, tips from anyone else who has made the trip would be great (constructive tips that is)?
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

    -Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

  10. #25
    Senior Member Array Rob P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    In the sticks
    Posts
    631
    Paco, just put the COM under the seat cabled to the seat and wear the magazine yourself. This is perfectly legal so long as you are not a gang member. You may lock & load & carry while inside your hotel room. Again, legal to do this.

    If you're going to some attractions like Sea World, I don't think that the knife is allowed but you should check with the park to be sure. I know that Disney prohibits EVERYTHING. Knotts Berry Farm is cool with CCW. Just check in with the security dept who will tell you that you are restricted from some of the rides. Lockers are avail if you want to ride these attractions however. (I'm serious, Knotts is REALLY cool with this policy)

    Don't forget to visit old town San Diego while you're here. And the beach. And the mall. And the beach. And the mountains. And the beach. Oh, and don't forget to visit the beach and have a great time.

    Weather should be fantastic next week as well.

  11. #26
    VIP Member Array Paco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    McKinney, TX
    Posts
    3,507
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob P. View Post
    Don't forget to visit old town San Diego while you're here. And the beach. And the mall. And the beach. And the mountains. And the beach. Oh, and don't forget to visit the beach and have a great time.

    Weather should be fantastic next week as well.
    Doing Legoland, Sea World and the tide pools on Loma Point. I hope to spend some time at Rosecrans to show the kids the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom but the Wife thinks we will be short on time.

    Look for my economic stimulation soon, Legoland and Sea World for 4 adults ans 4 kids (one is 12 so he is counted as an adult some places).
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

    -Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

  12. #27
    Member Array Maybejim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Kalifornia & Idaho
    Posts
    81
    First of all, California is NOT a "terribly restrictive state" as you say.
    I live in Kalifornia, have a Carry Permit, and I believe it is a terribly restrictive state. Virtually no one in L.A. County or any of the large counties are allowed Carry Permits.

    I'll tell you FOR A FACT that it is not "almost impossible" for this
    And you would be wrong for the vast vast majority of the citizens of this state.

    CCW in California is difficult to get. Which is as it should be.
    Actually it should not be. There is no evidence that there is any more crime or violence where it is easy or like Alaska and Vermont not even needed to get government permission to carry. There is evidence that allowing law abiding citizens to carry concealed reduces crime particularly confrontational crime.

    CCW is not a constitutional right and not everyone should be allowed to carry concealed. There are too many jerks out there as you should well know.
    I would disagree. Shall not be infringed is pretty strong language even if it is ignored. As far as the "jerks" those people with carry permits commit way less crime than the general population and in some some areas less crime than the police.

    Did you know that in California it is LEGAL to buy/own/possess/carry a firearm without a permit?
    Only sort of. You have to pass a government test (or have a carry permit) to buy a handgun and you have to wait 11 days to pick it up. You can not carry a loaded firearm in any city without a permit except in your own home or business.

    Did you know that currently there is a bill before the legislature which would make it mandatory "shall issue" for CCW in California?
    Which has been killed now and has no chance of going anywhere as long as the Legislature is dominated by Democrats.

    I'd listen to those who actually still live here.
    Well, I do live here. I am one of very few that have a Carry Permit and probably only have one because I first got one 16 years ago. We are dominated by gun hating Democrats or maybe they just hate the "little people" and want them to be dependent on government.
    Maybejim

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

    What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears!

  13. #28
    Senior Member Array CEW58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    797
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivers View Post
    It gets very frustrating sometimes but we try to keep an eye on the big picture. The laws will change significantly over the next year or so, and CA will become more like the other states than not.

    In truth, every time my family talks about moving to (AZ, TX, UT, etc.), it happens on a day when we have just awful weather. You know, cloudy, mid-60's, 5mph wind, mild humidity... In San Diego, that is brutal weather. I'm walking distance from the surf. These are reasons why I will personally fight for better CA laws rather than leave. I'd have to abandon most of my T-shirt collection!
    I'd be happy to trade you some of that "brutal" San Diego weather for some of our "tame" Oklahoma weather. Don't mind the tornadoes, you get used to them in time!

    Unfortunately, when I do go to San Diego I won't have time to enjoy the beaches and all the other sights. It will be more of a quick stop and get back out of town. Long story short my S.O. lives there and she's going to be leaving San Diego to come live with me. The problem is her ex-husband is a violent bad-boy-biker type and he might present a problem. That's one of the reasons I wish I could carry while I'm there.

    She and I are both originally from PA and went to school together. After school we both went our separate ways (33 years ago) and then got in contact with each other a couple of years ago and things have taken off from there. Isn't it strange how things work out sometimes?
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

    Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

  14. #29
    Senior Member Array Rob P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    In the sticks
    Posts
    631
    Quote Originally Posted by Maybejim View Post
    I live in Kalifornia, have a Carry Permit, and I believe it is a terribly restrictive state. Virtually no one in L.A. County or any of the large counties are allowed Carry Permits.
    Not true. Orange county issues CCW permits. Even under the NEW Sheriff permits are being issued.

    "Virtually no one?" There are over 700 permits issued in LA county. And, while that is pretty insignificant compared to the population, MOST of the citizens in LA don't apply or care. So a comparison between uncaring citizens and the number of issued permits doesn't compute.



    And you would be wrong for the vast vast majority of the citizens of this state.
    The "vast majority" of the state doesn't apply for a permit even if the state is shall issue. Look at Fla, Utah, etc etc etc if you don't believe me. Most states issue permits for approximately 1.5% - 2% of the population. While California doesn't issue that many permits, that doesn't mean that the conditions here are so bad that permits aren't possible to get.



    Actually it should not be. There is no evidence that there is any more crime or violence where it is easy or like Alaska and Vermont not even needed to get government permission to carry. There is evidence that allowing law abiding citizens to carry concealed reduces crime particularly confrontational crime.
    Apparently you aren't a student of history. Back in the days of the "westward expansion" of the USA almost everyone carried a firearm. Notably, there were some pretty horrific crimes committed by several notorious folks like Jesse James, Billy the Kid, and the like. If, as you postulate, the presence of more guns reduces crime why did these people get away with committing so many violent crimes?

    Most people don't think about what it was like 100-125 years ago when guns were pretty common. Yes, there was respect, but there was also violent crime. GUNS did nothing to reduce crime or create more respect.


    I would disagree. Shall not be infringed is pretty strong language even if it is ignored. As far as the "jerks" those people with carry permits commit way less crime than the general population and in some some areas less crime than the police.
    The SCOTUS (not me or you or some state) has said that the 2nd amendment DOES NOT include carrying a concealed weapon. This is the law of the land. No one cares if you don't like it or agree with it. It is one of those things that just is.



    Only sort of. You have to pass a government test (or have a carry permit) to buy a handgun and you have to wait 11 days to pick it up. You can not carry a loaded firearm in any city without a permit except in your own home or business.
    A 25 question test that takes 3-5 minutes at the time you pick up the gun which can be passed by a 3rd grader. The ONLY basis for the test is that it also includes a fee for the State. Thus, the "test" is really a gun tax.

    The 10-day waiting period is pretty much a bummer but it is no restriction to owning, carrying, possessing, etc.

    You are "almost" correct that someone "cannot carry a loaded firearm in any city." Under the law, you cannot carry a loaded CONCEALABLE firearm in an "incorporated area" or in any area in which the discharge of a firearm is prohibited. There is no prohibition to carrying an UNLOADED firearm except in prohibited areas where even having a CCW does not allow you to carry or school zones. There is no prohibition against carrying a loaded longarm except in those prohibited areas.

    And, since the prohibition is only applicable to the prohibited areas and incorporated areas, there is a LOT of state left where you can legally carry loaded and openly.


    Which has been killed now and has no chance of going anywhere as long as the Legislature is dominated by Democrats.
    Well, then why don't YOU go into politics and sponsor legislation instead of whining about it?



    Well, I do live here. I am one of very few that have a Carry Permit and probably only have one because I first got one 16 years ago. We are dominated by gun hating Democrats or maybe they just hate the "little people" and want them to be dependent on government.
    You are not one of the "very few" who have CCW. Nor are you the only one on this forum from California who has a CCW.

  15. #30
    Member Array Maybejim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Kalifornia & Idaho
    Posts
    81
    Not true. Orange county issues CCW permits. Even under the NEW Sheriff permits are being issued
    Not for regular folks. Several hundred of the previously issued permits are being recalled.

    Virtually no one?" There are over 700 permits issued in LA county.
    Lawyers, judges, movie stars, and politicians. Again not for the "common" man, only for the "connected".

    So a comparison between uncaring citizens and the number of issued permits doesn't compute.
    People don't apply because they know they aren't being issued. If you have not been "threatened" or can not prove it you won't get a permit. Why is it acceptable when only the "elite" can carry?

    While California doesn't issue that many permits, that doesn't mean that the conditions here are so bad that permits aren't possible to get.
    No, it doesn't mean that but it is in fact true.

    Apparently you aren't a student of history. Back in the days of the "westward expansion" of the USA almost everyone carried a firearm. Notably, there were some pretty horrific crimes committed by several notorious folks like Jesse James, Billy the Kid, and the like. If, as you postulate, the presence of more guns reduces crime why did these people get away with committing so many violent crimes?
    Actually it appears that it is you who aren't a student of history. The "Wild West" wasn't really all that wild, everyone did not carry a firearm, and women and children were safer then and there than in the inner cities today.

    The SCOTUS (not me or you or some state) has said that the 2nd amendment DOES NOT include carrying a concealed weapon.
    I'm not sure that they have but SCOTUS has said a lot of things including Dred Scott and the Kelo nonsense that does not necessarily follow the Constitution. I say again, what part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand?

    A 25 question test that takes 3-5 minutes at the time you pick up the gun which can be passed by a 3rd grader. The ONLY basis for the test is that it also includes a fee for the State. Thus, the "test" is really a gun tax.
    An illegal imposition on a Constitutional right both for the test and for the tax and the state imposing unreasonable restrictions (unreasonable because they serve no value which you just admitted). I've never taken it so I can't really speak to the difficulty (I have had my CCW for 16 years).

    The 10-day waiting period is pretty much a bummer but it is no restriction to owning, carrying, possessing
    10 days to the minute which means the gun shops make you wait 11 days to be safe.

    is no prohibition to carrying an UNLOADED firearm except in prohibited areas
    Oh my! There is no prohibition to carrying an object that can be thrown but there is a prohibition to an effective means of self defense. Do you realize how silly it is to claim that you are allowed "to carry" if you can not carry it loaded?

    You are not one of the "very few" who have CCW. Nor are you the only one on this forum from California who has a CCW.
    I may not be the only one from Kalifornia here with a CCW but I am one of the relative few. If I didn't have my own business and reasonably can carry fairly large amounts of cash, I wouldn't be able to have one.

    Of course we didn't talk about all the other restrictions Kalifornia has imposed. No magazines holding more than 10 bullets (grandfathered doesn't count). Only a fraction of the guns available for sale can be sold or transferred in Kalifornia. I have an LCP in Idaho that I can't buy in Kalifornia. I have a Thompson semi-auto 1927 .45 cal, that I bought in Kalifornia that I can't legally bring back into the state. There are large numbers of .223 semi-auto rifles that I can't own in Kalifornia. I can't sell my own personally owned guns without getting the approval of the government. There is a law that is up for consideration that I can't buy (or even possess I believe it says) more than 50 bullets a month and another I believe that says I can't buy any bullets without a license. This is Democrats in action, working against law abiding citizens, to make more people either victims or totally beholden to the government.
    Maybejim

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

    What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Traveling to GA.....open carry?
    By claybreaker0 in forum Open Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: December 23rd, 2009, 10:38 PM
  2. Traveling to a No-Carry state - what should I take?
    By cred in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: March 13th, 2009, 08:55 PM
  3. MI State Police Firearm FAQ Legal Update - Open Carry LEGAL in MI and other good stuf
    By Cupcake in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: August 12th, 2008, 03:10 AM
  4. Traveling to Oregon this weekend
    By G&G in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: May 15th, 2008, 04:53 PM
  5. Concealed carry when you're traveling
    By monsterdawg725 in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: January 12th, 2008, 12:41 AM

Search tags for this page

is a female traveling by car aline a good readon for conceal and carry permiy
,
legal way to carry fire arm when traveling into california
,

paraframe 2 legal in california

Click on a term to search for related topics.