Traveling this weekend, best legal way to carry in Cali?

This is a discussion on Traveling this weekend, best legal way to carry in Cali? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I know i cant carry loaded in the car, and all my handguns are hi-cap, so i was thinking my unloaded 18" 870 in a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30

Thread: Traveling this weekend, best legal way to carry in Cali?

  1. #1
    Member Array 40S&WMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Tucson
    Posts
    208

    Traveling this weekend, best legal way to carry in Cali?

    I know i cant carry loaded in the car, and all my handguns are hi-cap, so i was thinking my unloaded 18" 870 in a case in the trunk, with ammo handy, that way i could load it up at night where ever i stay, and if something happend and i had a few seconds i could grab it and have it loaded it seconds.....

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    Senior Member Array Rob P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    In the sticks
    Posts
    631
    What I'd do is this:

    Buy a magazine follower (or 2) which limits the mag capacity to 10 rounds. Install in magazine for weapon you plan on bringing into California.

    Buy a COM safe and put in car under seat. Put UNLOADED handgun in safe. Remove key. Put loaded magazine on belt in mag carrier.

    Come to California and spend lots and lots and lots of money.

    Enjoy yourself immensely.

    Go home and show everyone pictures of your trip so that they get the urge to come here too.

  4. #3
    VIP Member Array Pikachu711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    2,461
    I wish I could totally avoid traveling to Kalifornia. But once every few years I have to go to San Diego for some time on the coast.

    This year I'll be driving there with my COM safe cable locked to my bench seat. When I get there I'll have to move it to my hotel room. From there I'll have to just "not carry".

    I was born & raised in RI so if I don't get freshly caught seafood once in a while I go a little crazy. Living in the desert of the southwest takes it's toll on a person.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

  5. #4
    Senior Member Array Rob P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    In the sticks
    Posts
    631
    Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    If YOU like living in a terribly restrictive state then why don't YOU just get a thicker skin and deal with liberalism and the bashing it brings?

    It isn't my personal problem. I don't need anything California has to offer and I live where I can carry my handgun on my body nearly anywhere I can physically be at any given time.

    Why doesn't it add to the conversation? Carrying a concealed handgun in California is near impossible, which directly relates to the OP's question.
    You premise is false.

    First of all, California is NOT a "terribly restrictive state" as you say. Yes, some of our gun rights are limited, but I don't need to get a thicker skin in order to be offended by impersonal attacks on my fellow citizens by internet ninjas. YOU need to get better manners. An armed society is a polite society. You seem to have the armed part under control but are remiss on the polite part.

    Secondly, you and most of the other California bashers seem to have the same method of fighting for constitutional rights. Your answer is to RUN AWAY and hide while badmouthing those who stay behind and fight. IOW, you are cowards with big mouths hiding behind the anonymity of the internet. Which makes your opinion useless to anyone.

    Thirdly, your responses do not help the OP with his question. It does nothing except bash California for false reasons. A case in point in your assertion that it is almost impossible to carry a concealed weapon in California. I'll tell you FOR A FACT that it is not "almost impossible" for this. I carry. I have a CCW. I am not LEO, or corrections, or any other law enforcement group. I do not work for the State or Federal Government in ANY position. Nor am I "famous" yet I have a CCW. If, as you assert, CCW is "almost impossible" I could not do so. Factually, there are over FORTY THOUSAND CCW licenses in the State issued to good ordinary citizens. Again, if it was "almost impossible" this couldn't happen. IOW, your assertion is directly refuted by facts you didn't bother to research.

    CCW in California is difficult to get. Which is as it should be. CCW is not a constitutional right and not everyone should be allowed to carry concealed. There are too many jerks out there as you should well know. If you don't know that, then maybe you should stay out of the conversation until you DO know what you're talking about.

    As for California being a "terribly restrictive State" try this:

    Did you know that in California it is LEGAL to buy/own/possess/carry a firearm without a permit? Try that in some states and see what happens. Yet those states seem to see a LOT less bashing than California.

    Did you know that it is LEGAL in California to openly carry a firearm? Yes, there are rules and limitations, but just try it in Texas, or Florida and see if THOSE states are truly as free as California when it comes to gun rights.

    Did you know that currently there is a bill before the legislature which would make it mandatory "shall issue" for CCW in California? Things change because good people stay and fight for their rights.

    I guess my point in all of this is that those who like to bash California and say that they can do so because they ran away at the first sign of trouble aren't really the ones I'm going to believe when they say anything. When it comes to what is happening in California I'd listen to those who actually still live here. Instead of listening to those who get their information from other dweebs on the internet.

  6. #5
    Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,249
    Being as I have lived in California before, I will stand by my word.

    And yes, from my point of view, it is a terribly restrictive state.

    One of the major reasons is that the majority of my weapons would get me arrested because they or some component of them are specifically restricted by California law.

    I applaud those who stay there and work so hard at getting gun rights restored to what they should be in Caliornia.


    However, until that happens, I will not spend my money in California and do eveything I can to prevent any of my dollars from going to California's economy. That is how I feel, and that is what I will continue to encourage others to do.

    Oregon is very restrictive in some respects to outsiders as well in regards to CCW. Some people refuse to spend their dollars here because of that. Quite frankly, I don't blame them. Currently we have a bill introduced that will force the state to recognize any other state's CCW license. I hope that passes but I will not hold my breath.

    However until that time comes, rather than immediately getting offended whenever someone bashes Oregon, I have offered whoever has need to travel in Oregon my services as a guide to the state, which has the added benefit in that it is legal for me to carry multiple weapons.

    Maybe you should take a hint, and consider offering a positive solution like that.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

  7. #6
    Member Array runamuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Surprise Az
    Posts
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by SonofASniper View Post
    Being as I have lived in California before, I will stand by my word.

    And yes, from my point of view, it is a terribly restrictive state.

    One of the major reasons is that the majority of my weapons would get me arrested because they or some component of them are specifically restricted by California law.

    I applaud those who stay there and work so hard at getting gun rights restored to what they should be in Caliornia.


    However, until that happens, I will not spend my money in California and do eveything I can to prevent any of my dollars from going to California's economy. That is how I feel, and that is what I will continue to encourage others to do.

    Oregon is very restrictive in some respects to outsiders as well in regards to CCW. Some people refuse to spend their dollars here because of that. Quite frankly, I don't blame them. Currently we have a bill introduced that will force the state to recognize any other state's CCW license. I hope that passes but I will not hold my breath.

    However until that time comes, rather than immediately getting offended whenever someone bashes Oregon, I have offered whoever has need to travel in Oregon my services as a guide to the state, which has the added benefit in that it is legal for me to carry multiple weapons.

    Maybe you should take a hint, and consider offering a positive solution like that.
    +1 Former Californian as well. The County Sherriff has final say as to you having a CCW permit based on your "need" to have one.

    It is sooo nice to live in a shall issue state!!

    Muk

  8. #7
    Senior Member Array Rob P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    In the sticks
    Posts
    631
    Quote Originally Posted by SonofASniper View Post
    Maybe you should take a hint, and consider offering a positive solution like that.
    Perhaps you should go back and READ post #2 of this thread? So far I seem to be the only person to offer advice instead of hot air.

  9. #8
    VIP Member Array Pikachu711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    2,461

    Travel to CA

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob P. View Post
    Perhaps you should go back and READ post #2 of this thread? So far I seem to be the only person to offer advice instead of hot air.
    This is the way I'll have to travel to San Diego later this year. I already have a COM box cable locked to the bench seat of my pick up truck. When I arrive at my hotel I'll have to move it to my hotel room and lock it to something permanent. It's better than having nothing while I'm in my hotel room.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

  10. #9
    VIP Member Array HKinNY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Nassau, NY(Long Island)
    Posts
    2,855
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob P. View Post
    I carry. I have a CCW. I am not LEO, or corrections, or any other law enforcement group. I do not work for the State or Federal Government in ANY position. Nor am I "famous" yet I have a CCW. If, as you assert, CCW is "almost impossible" I could not do so. Factually, there are over FORTY THOUSAND CCW licenses in the State issued to good ordinary citizens. .
    Could you be kinda enough to educate myself on what it normally takes to get a ccw in CA? I too thought it was tough.

  11. #10
    Senior Member Array CEW58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    797
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob P. View Post
    You premise is false.

    First of all, California is NOT a "terribly restrictive state" as you say. Yes, some of our gun rights are limited, but I don't need to get a thicker skin in order to be offended by impersonal attacks on my fellow citizens by internet ninjas. YOU need to get better manners. An armed society is a polite society. You seem to have the armed part under control but are remiss on the polite part.

    Secondly, you and most of the other California bashers seem to have the same method of fighting for constitutional rights. Your answer is to RUN AWAY and hide while badmouthing those who stay behind and fight. IOW, you are cowards with big mouths hiding behind the anonymity of the internet. Which makes your opinion useless to anyone.

    Thirdly, your responses do not help the OP with his question. It does nothing except bash California for false reasons. A case in point in your assertion that it is almost impossible to carry a concealed weapon in California. I'll tell you FOR A FACT that it is not "almost impossible" for this. I carry. I have a CCW. I am not LEO, or corrections, or any other law enforcement group. I do not work for the State or Federal Government in ANY position. Nor am I "famous" yet I have a CCW. If, as you assert, CCW is "almost impossible" I could not do so. Factually, there are over FORTY THOUSAND CCW licenses in the State issued to good ordinary citizens. Again, if it was "almost impossible" this couldn't happen. IOW, your assertion is directly refuted by facts you didn't bother to research.

    CCW in California is difficult to get. Which is as it should be. CCW is not a constitutional right and not everyone should be allowed to carry concealed. There are too many jerks out there as you should well know. If you don't know that, then maybe you should stay out of the conversation until you DO know what you're talking about.

    As for California being a "terribly restrictive State" try this:

    Did you know that in California it is LEGAL to buy/own/possess/carry a firearm without a permit? Try that in some states and see what happens. Yet those states seem to see a LOT less bashing than California.

    Did you know that it is LEGAL in California to openly carry a firearm? Yes, there are rules and limitations, but just try it in Texas, or Florida and see if THOSE states are truly as free as California when it comes to gun rights.

    Did you know that currently there is a bill before the legislature which would make it mandatory "shall issue" for CCW in California? Things change because good people stay and fight for their rights.

    I guess my point in all of this is that those who like to bash California and say that they can do so because they ran away at the first sign of trouble aren't really the ones I'm going to believe when they say anything. When it comes to what is happening in California I'd listen to those who actually still live here. Instead of listening to those who get their information from other dweebs on the internet.
    I for one applaud anyone willing to stick it out and try to make California gun laws more in line with other states. But you have to admit California is more restrictive than many other states and you're going to hear remarks about that. For example, I may be visiting San Diego in the near future but I already know my chances of getting a non-resident permit are about nil and California doesn't honor my Oklahoma permit.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

    Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

  12. #11
    Senior Member Array Rob P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    In the sticks
    Posts
    631
    Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    Could you be kinda enough to educate myself on what it normally takes to get a ccw in CA? I too thought it was tough.
    To get a CCW in California you will (currently) need what is referred to as "good cause." "Good cause" is anything which makes you a specific target for serious bodily injury or death. The threat must be more specific than a general threat to health & safety because of who you are, what you do, where you are required to be, etc.

    The standard is not that difficult. It can be met by merely being a female real estate agent (I personally know 2 agents who have a CCW). However, each county interprets the requirement differently so in some places it is EXTREMELY difficult to get a permit while in others, just applying is sufficient for issuance of the license.

    This is an equal protection of the law issue that has yet to be litigated. But that is coming because (good news) the 9th circuit just incorporated Heller into California in Nordyke v. King. And, while some here would think that just saying "personal protection" is good enough, if you really think about it, that is not, and has NEVER been the standard for allowing people to CCW. "Personal protection" is good enough to CARRY a handgun but not to carry it concealed.

    To carry concealed you need more than "personal protection." You need "good cause." Which is as it should be.

  13. #12
    Member Array ellerblr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob P. View Post
    To carry concealed you need more than "personal protection." You need "good cause." Which is as it should be.
    I wholeheartedly disagree. I don't need a good cause to carry a concealed handgun. Protection of my life is all the 'good cause' that I need. I believe that the Second Amendment protects my right to carry a concealed firearm, even though that right is being infringed by most States.

  14. #13
    Senior Member Array Rob P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    In the sticks
    Posts
    631
    Quote Originally Posted by Coastie 585 View Post
    Correction.

    Good Cause can be found under the Second Amendment.

    California, by what you posted, seems to be an extremely restrictive state.
    I really hate being the one to tell you this but you are FLAT WRONG. There is NO 2d Amendment right to CCW. This has already been determined by the SCOTUS. Your right to keep and bear arms does not give you the right to bear arms in concealment.

    Thus, your statement that California is an extremely restrictive state is untrue based on your logic and argument. BTW, since Fla is not an "open carry" state, the same 2nd Amendment argument could be used against Florida's laws being "extremely restrictive" and THAT statement would be true post Heller.

    What this boils down to is simple. A lot of internet commandos have labeled California as "socialist anti-gun" without knowing a thing about what they are saying. In reality, California is pretty good about firearms overall and the restrictions aren't that burdensome.

  15. #14
    VIP Member Array Tubby45's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Making ammo.
    Posts
    3,047
    One in four firearms sold in the country is sold in California.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

  16. #15
    Member Array Rivers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    435
    1,000,000++++ for Rob P.

    I too am disappointed by all the uninformed CA bashing. Yes, there are legal issues which have been exaggerated by some powerful scum-sucking bottom-feeding politicians on local, state and national levels. But blaming CA gun enthusiasts for staying in CA??? You don't realize that we're putting these politicians in check. Example: SF Mayor Newsome pushing through Prop. H, banning handguns in SF. OVERTURNED in our own courts!

    Expect to see a lot of legal reversals favoring us in the next one or two years. CCW, AWB, magazine restrictions, etc. With Heller now being incorporated through the 9th Circuit, we have the legal basis and the legal expertise to do this. Now if we can only get some idiots with selfish agendas to quit peeing in our drinking water with their nunchuck 2A appeals....

    Oh, CCW varies widely in CA depending upon county of residence. That is a major issue now since there is a very arbitrary standard. But some counties are as close to shall issue as you can imagine. Others, like LA and SF, are very hostile to issuing CCW. This is likely to change via the courts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Traveling to GA.....open carry?
    By claybreaker0 in forum Open Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: December 23rd, 2009, 09:38 PM
  2. Traveling to a No-Carry state - what should I take?
    By cred in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: March 13th, 2009, 07:55 PM
  3. MI State Police Firearm FAQ Legal Update - Open Carry LEGAL in MI and other good stuf
    By Cupcake in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: August 12th, 2008, 02:10 AM
  4. Traveling to Oregon this weekend
    By G&G in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: May 15th, 2008, 03:53 PM
  5. Concealed carry when you're traveling
    By monsterdawg725 in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: January 11th, 2008, 11:41 PM

Search tags for this page

is a female traveling by car aline a good readon for conceal and carry permiy
,
legal way to carry fire arm when traveling into california
,

paraframe 2 legal in california

Click on a term to search for related topics.