How exactly to "polish?"

This is a discussion on How exactly to "polish?" within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I searched on this forum terms I thought would bring up this topic, no luck. So my question is...I have been looking into buying a ...

Thread: How exactly to "polish?"

How exactly to "polish?"

I searched on this forum terms I thought would bring up this topic, no luck. So my question is...I have been looking into buying a Sig Mosquito for plinking, practice etc. I already bought 100rds of .22LR mini-mag since I've read that that high velocity rounds are whats best for these little plinkers. I've also read that many of you have "polished" the feed ramp for optimal feeding capabilites. How exactly do you polish a feed ramp? Of course I clean and re-lube when I buy a new gun, but nothing serious. I know when I sent my PM9 came back from Kahr to have some trigger bar work done the barrel looked "polished" so much that it almost looks chrome.

Can you please explain this "polishing" to me? I would like to do it to the Mosquito as I've read these guns need some assitance in order tofeed reliably. Thanks
    "Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    You should probably wait until you see how your feed ramp looks and how your firearm feeds before you do anything.

But, just FYI - Here is one way how to do it.

Look around the house and find a piece of leather or rubber that you can fold in half and make a folded rounded edge that closely matches the concave surface of the feed ramp.... or roll up a piece of paper into a really tight small cylindrical roll to match the diameter of the .22 feed ramp.

Fold a piece of 3M Wet or Dry Silicon Carbide abrasive paper over that.

Important use only 1,000 or 1,500 super fine grit.
    Those barely remove any metal at all. Use oil and wet-polish the ramp with that finest grit paper and oil.

Finish up with the smallest diameter FELT BOB in a Dremel Moto Tool charging the felt bob with Jewelers Rouge.
    That will give you a mirror bright polish and it's impossible to remove too much metal.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Exactly what QK said except I use a product called Flitz with my dremmel it is finer than the jewelers rouge and wont remove any metal either.
    Gun Control: What a long strange trip it's been

You guys are great thanks! I will deffinatly wait untill I get a few hundred rounds through her to do anything. Hopefully I wont have to worry about it, but thanks so much for the info.
    "Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

Links