Glock Take Down

Glock Take Down

This is a discussion on Glock Take Down within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Okay, I'm calling on all you Glock people out their, Field stripping is pretty easy, Who fully dissembles their slide and how often do you ...

Thread: Glock Take Down

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar

Glock Take Down

Okay, I'm calling on all you Glock people out their,

Field stripping is pretty easy, Who fully dissembles their slide and how often do you do this.

Did you just try it or do you have a favorite book/video that you use as a guide?

"fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

I take the lower down every couple k to clean it out.

upper i took it down to clean it when i first bought it to clean all the oil for storage out

I clean upper, and lower about every year.

Check out http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=283155
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar

obsessed

I detail strip & clean after every trip to the range. Used the Larry MacGill "Complete Glock Disassembly" DVD, which is excellent, but the one supplied earlier in this thread is probably just as good.

It doesn't get too dirty, but I like to check all the parts and make sure they are not showing signs of damage. When I put it back together, I will carry it, so I like to make sure everything still looks good.

The slide doesn't need to be taken down very often. There is a small hole that allows debris to exit. I'll probably do a complete takedown and cleaning every 2k rounds. I only have 1k through my 26 so I've got a while. I have an American Gunsmithing Association Video called "Making GLOCKs Rock". It is excellent and it shows you how to do everything you could possibly do. I highly recommend this video. It tough me so much about GLOCKs.

Hi all, How many of you Glock owners actually find it a handfull when holding the unit as steady as you can to get the accuracy correct? I find firing a Glock 21 .45mm is like taming a wild animal especially using doubleaction ammos, what i mean by this is the recoil. Could it be because of the polymer/metal material combination, i wouldda thought have a stabaliser would help it a lot but i find a 1911 without one more stable when firing?

Sweet gun to have, dont get me wrong but compared to using some various 1911's out there its such a beast blowing out 13 (+1) bullets at the same time keeping it relatively still or dont i do the five knuckle shuffle enough?

VIP Member
    And don't forget to buy a good tool set for Glocks.

Kidding aside, a friend of mine had some problem with his Glock and managed to do a quick on-the-field repair using a QTip and the gun worked flawlesly. I am not a fan of Glocks, but you do have to admire their reliability.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Senior Moderator
    Detail clean a Glock, you got to be kiddin' me! Gaston would have a fit!

I gotta tell this story:
    I went to a shooting school run by a guy that won the 1999 IDPA national championship - stock gun division I presume. Anyway there were only four of us students in the class this week and we all started the morning by cleaning our guns. So after a day or so of this, the owner/instructor walks up to us while we're cleaning our guns and says, "hey fellows, don't you think you cleanin' your guns a little too much?" Well the four of us were puzzled and naturally we asked how often he cleaned his guns. He implied, when they stop working.

I'm inclined to believe he was serious, although now I can't remember why I still feel that way - maybe a gun failure that was indicative that the gun needed to be cleaned.

a range gun that doesnt get carried is one thing to let get dirty and not clean...however...a carry gun to me..IMHO...MUST be detail strippe and cleaned/checked. Those that do not have a clean weapon are asking for Mr. Murphy to come to dinner and stay awhile.....

Pea shooter..

I carry a GLOCK 30 .45...its the sweetest shooting gun in the world...dont know..maybe GLOCK isnt for you...it doesnt fit some people.
    Brad B.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by AZG23
    a range gun that doesnt get carried is one thing to let get dirty and not clean...however...a carry gun to me..IMHO...MUST be detail strippe and cleaned/checked. Those that do not have a clean weapon are asking for Mr. Murphy to come to dinner and stay awhile...people.
    I agree 100%. I was baffled by a shooter of that caliber, being so lax about cleaning his guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy
    And don't forget to buy a good tool set for Glocks.

Kidding aside, a friend of mine had some problem with his Glock and managed to do a quick on-the-field repair using a QTip and the gun worked flawlesly. I am not a fan of Glocks, but you do have to admire their reliability.

Love the tool set

yup...looks like the kit I have for my 5 GLOCKS...
    Brad B.

I have seen a Glock 22 go approximately 2K plus rounds without cleaning over a three year period. (this is per the owner of the gun) After this the gun would not shoot. (the firing pin would not move inside the slide) I had to do a detail cleaning of the upper and lower areas to get the gun back up. The owner stated that he never cleaned the gun and all the parts on the Glock looked so. Clean the Glock, oil and greased the right areas and the gun was like new. 2K rounds or three years, which ever comes first is what I told the owner.

I field strip and clean after every shooting session. I detail strip every other year. This routine has worked perfectly with my Glock 22. It has never had a failure of any kind.
    From what I have read, detail stripping too often will do more harm than good. Specifically, the frame pins will begin to wallow out the frame. Detail stripping the slide is only necessary when the firing pin will not slide freely back and forth with the trigger depressed. I always test this before I field strip.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
    --GEORGE ORWELL

Links