Hit so close to home... :(

This is a discussion on Hit so close to home... :( within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well, I was coming home from work the other day late and got a text saying there had been a shooting on my block. Police ...

Thread: Hit so close to home... :(

Unhappy Hit so close to home... :(

Well, I was coming home from work the other day late and got a text saying there had been a shooting on my block. Police had my entire block closed off, no one in or out. OMG to say the least, hopefully no one I knew, but alas it was... Jay Beckman, A South Miami Commissioner shot in his own home by accident from his own 17 year old son.

Supposedly the son was showing the father the shotgun he had just assembled and it slipped, fell and went off... Well, this can only go to show that SAFETY is the most important issue when it come to the handling of arms. He was a great guy who stood up for his community as well as a great father to his son after his wife passed a few years ago from cancer. He will be greatly missed in the community.

Please remember it only takes one oops to take it all away.
    Safety Safety Safety

link to story
    South Miami commissioner shot dead; son is held - Miami-Dade - MiamiHerald.com

2. Remove Ads

wow...that's a really sad story. I can't imagine what his son is going through, as well as the family. You said it, safety is #1. Just points to the fact that we can never let our guard down about the issue when we are around firearms.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

"Son of South Miami commissioner said he hated his dad"

I seriously hope I am wrong but... well the plot did thicken in the following days after the shooting.

Link to story:
    Classmates: Son of South Miami commissioner said he hated his dad - 5-Minute Herald - MiamiHerald.com

If this was the motive, regardless of his mild form of autism, there is a special place reserved for him somewhere hot.
    Why do these things always come out after the fact; ohh he had a list of those who wronged him...

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    So very tragic.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Delcorbett View Post

Safety Safety Safety
    Exactly what was ignored by the father. How was it that an autistic 17yo had access to a firearm and ammunition. Regardless of whether there was a motive or not, it is definitely a tragedy that could have been prevented.

Reminder to all: If you have kids in the home (any age), lock up your firearms and store locked ammunition in a different location. This is a basic firearm safety rule that if ignored will have tragic results.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

jfl
    In my house, only my wife and I handle the guns.
    We don't show them to friends, and those who come in and carry keep them holstered.
    Simple !!!

If I give a course it is different but we always check TWICE that ammo and guns are in separate rooms...
    Safety is no accident !
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Quote Originally Posted by Delcorbett View Post
    "Son of South Miami commissioner said he hated his dad"

I seriously hope I am wrong but... well the plot did thicken in the following days after the shooting.

Link to story:
    Classmates: Son of South Miami commissioner said he hated his dad - 5-Minute Herald - MiamiHerald.com

If this was the motive, regardless of his mild form of autism, there is a special place reserved for him somewhere hot.
    Why do these things always come out after the fact; ohh he had a list of those who wronged him...
    If these reports and comments are true, it is sounding like this had nothing to do with safety, but the anger and aggression of a disturbed young man who had access to weapons he knew how to use.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Rcher View Post
    Reminder to all: If you have kids in the home (any age), lock up your firearms and store locked ammunition in a different location. This is a basic firearm safety rule that if ignored will have tragic results.
    Well that does no good for home defense! I agree safety safety safety, and a loaded handgun in a locked (quick access) safe is part of my safety plan. I will never be caught unlocking a safe to get an unloaded gun, then praying I have time to run to a different location (without crossing the path of the Bad Guy who broke into my house) to unlock a different location and grab the ammo and load my gun.

And yes, I have kids.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Gun-proof your children, rather than child-proofing your guns. Much safer in the long run.
    Life is about choices. One who chooses to attack without cause has also chosen to accept whatever defensive measures his target has readied. If this includes violence and death, so be it.

G26--->Supertuck

If this turns out to be what is suspected, it has little to do with safety, and the hiding of firearms and additional gun laws would probably not have prevented this tragedy. OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Its another strike for the anti-gunners. There have been to many latley.
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LinkT View Post
    Gun-proof your children, rather than child-proofing your guns. Much safer in the long run.

a very profound statement. This is what at least 4 generations preceeding myself...(now 6 generations of my family) have lived by.

Maybe it's partly an environmental thing... as in my family has always been rural or small town. Where I come from children are taught at a very early age about firearms and understand what they are used for. I knew where my great grandfather, grandfather and father kept their loaded weapons from a very early age. I had enough training to know that was their property and not mine.

I had a fully loaded rifle hanging on the bed post in an exposed leather scabbard from the time my son was born until my wife gave him the bed (he was concieved in) several years later. Funny thing is, he never touched the loaded firearm as a child.

Teach your own kids! It's a simple thing. You DON"T need the Nanny state to tell you how to maintain discipline in your own home. Love your kids, Teach your kids. It's simple!

surv

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    My condolences on the loss of your friend.As far as my own firearms, they are kept available an loaded, although my XD in the nightstand drawer is the only one not in some form of concealment. Of course, there are no children in my house, and no children ever come in.

Links