kind of a stupid question?

This is a discussion on kind of a stupid question? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; In these tough economic times, what happens to your firearms if someone is forced to take a job in Wisconsin or Illinois ?? Now, I'm ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: kind of a stupid question?

kind of a stupid question?

In these tough economic times, what happens to your firearms if someone is forced to take a job in Wisconsin or Illinois ??

Now, I'm just thinking hypothetically, there is no way I would move to either of those states, but I was just thinking?

sheesh? *what if* who do you turn your guns into? do 'they' destroy your property or just hold it till you decide to move out of the state. Will the state buy your guns?

How does that work??????
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

2. Remove Ads

That's a tough question to answer. In the current economical situation I would have to weigh my options. Do I want to move for a better paying job. Or do I move to a highly restrictive state when it comes to firearms & licensing? That has to be a personal decision.

I would prefer NOT to move to a state with highly restrictive gun laws. But if I had to provide for my family I might have to make that sacrafice.

As for me, I'm not ready to move to a state that is less than 2nd amendment friendly. Keep in mind that I only have 2 cats to worry about. I'm single & want to keep enjoying my CCW rights. But, that would change if I had a family to support.

It comes down to your own circumstances. Choose wisely!
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

You take them with you.

There's no prohibition against gun ownership in either state.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

VIP Member
    Neither state prohibit owning and possessing guns, they just do not allow CC. I know in Illinois you would have to have a FOID and I believe all guns, not just handguns are registered with the state. To my knowledge Wisconsin has no firearms registration. Although Wisconsin does not have CC they are far less restrictive than New York on gun ownership.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    In the case where you own specific guns prohibited by a state (like an 'assault weapon' and you are moving to NJ), you find somebody you trust in a legal state and have that person hold the weapons for you. Just make sure it really is somebody you trust. Even in that case, the state can't prevent you from owning property you already brought legally; they might make it unlawful to possess the item inside their state borders, though.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

There are no Stupid questions, Just stupid answers....

Me I'm retired so I cannot really put myself in that scenario, but I have completed moving to a different state for winter relief, and those states are not on my list of places to go that time of the year.....
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Take your guns along.

Being retired, I don't even VISIT those states in question. If I were still working and knew then what I know now, I would do everything possible to avoid employment in 'said' states.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Go to handgunlaw.us and you can check out the regulations for Illinois.

My wife is from the Peoples Republic of Illinois, gun laws are kind of restrictive there.

As for Wisconsin, you're on your own there, don't know about them.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

If you don't want to get into the opressive state's "system" (registration, etc.), you could always rent a storage unit in your current friendly state for your firearms. You could come back and visit them every once in awhile, i suppose.
    Anthony

Current EDC: Glock 23

I'm retiring the first of May... so, I wouldn't ever move there. If I were in that situation, I would keep looking elsewhere.

guns...what guns?
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Take the guns and leave em at home.

Then do whatever you can on a Grass Roots level to get the laws changed.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I'm stationed in CA and can't do anything about it. I had to leave a few guns and magazines with my parents. I suppose I could register my "assault weapons" and pay the rediculous fee, but I don't want them registered, and I don't want to pay to exercise my 2nd amendment rights. I'll be getting out of CA ASAP though.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac00 View Post
    In these tough economic times, what happens to your firearms if someone is forced to take a job in Wisconsin or Illinois ??

Now, I'm just thinking hypothetically, there is no way I would move to either of those states, but I was just thinking?

sheesh? *what if* who do you turn your guns into? do 'they' destroy your property or just hold it till you decide to move out of the state. Will the state buy your guns?

How does that work??????
    It's not a stupid question, but one that I hope to never have to ask, or answer for myself.

I run in to this with co-workers at times, working for Uncle Sugar. It is a pet peeve of mine that is a legal item in one state is a criminal charge in another, but that's what state's rights are all about.

Needless to say, there are quite a few states that I refuse to support.

Biker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links