Which bedside gun would you grab?

This is a discussion on Which bedside gun would you grab? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have 2 handguns- Smith & Wesson 686 .357 with 6" ported barrel HK P2K .40 with 12 round mag (this is my carry gun) ...

View Poll Results: Which gun would you grab in case of a bg?

Voters
137. You may not vote on this poll
  • Smith & Wesson 686 .357 with 6" ported barrel

42 30.66%
  • HK P2K .40 with 12 round mag

95 69.34%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which bedside gun would you grab?

I have 2 handguns-
    Smith & Wesson 686 .357 with 6" ported barrel
    HK P2K .40 with 12 round mag (this is my carry gun)
    I keep both in a gunvault next to my bed. In case of a bg which you grab? The .357 has more stopping power but it has 1/2 the rounds....

Thanks.
    HK P2000 SK .40
    Crossbreed Supertuck & Beltman
    Spyderco Endura
    Semper Fi

My bedside companion is a 686 plus. I think 7 rounds of 357 magnum should take care of business...
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Did you mean which one would you use FIRST, and then followed by...???

I'd grab the 12 rounds of .40 first...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Which do you shoot better? Shot placement is a lot more important than the minimal differences in so-called 'stopping power'. If you shoot both equally well, either should do.
    ETA - Capacity, while not important in most likely scenarios, should also be a consideration.
    Last edited by United93; April 18th, 2009 at 05:03 PM.

The one with more "bangs" before a "click"......
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Administrator
    My choice for a Bedside Bad Guy "first gun to grab" gun? Hummmm....?

With a high quality semi like the HK I would opt for 12 rounds of .40 as a first choice though I sure would not feel defenseless with a high quality revolver stoked with 6 hot .357.

Could the bag guy be possibly wearing a BPV where two initial .357 revolver rounds are going to be wasted/expended plowing into multiple layers of Kevlar COM in a scenario where two more armed bag guy accomplices are right outside the bedroom doorway ready to react?
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I'd still use the revolver, being of the "six-fer-sure" line of reasoning. I have 1911s, a Hi-Power, and a few other self loaders but trust the revolver.

I'd be a little leery of that ported barrel though. If required to choose between those two handguns I'd pick the .40 as I'm not fond of porting.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

12 rounds of forty and an extra mag.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Whichever one you shoot better. Either should work. If they are in the same place who knows your instincts just might decide for you. Don't see how you could go wrong with either one though. Don't know what the muzzle flash on a .40 cal is but I'm assuming its no where close to the flame that comes out of the .357 so that might be a consideration if you're not using a load that is supposed to have a low flash for the .357.

VIP Member
    In your case, since the HK is your EDC gun that would be the first one grabbed. Go with what your most comfortable with.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I have neither weapon, so I can only speculate, but I if given the choice, I can examine an S&W revolver for functioning, and use a penny to test whether the firing pin is hitting hard enough. I can examine an autoloader, and except for broken parts, not learn anything.

That being said, I can reach for one of my .40 P229s, or one of my Ruger .357 revolvers, and feel quite well-armed either way. Both weapon systems are reliable for me. Guys working for the PD where I work have nailed plenty of felons with both the .357 and .40. I have seen the .357 mag work against a human from the best possible seat in the stadium, first row, behind home plate.

If planning to acquire either weapon, specified in the poll, well, S&W has a long-established reputation for taking care of customers well, and quickly. HK has the opposite reputation.

I voted for the sixgun, but that is what I would choose. The originator of this topic and poll should should choose what he shoots best.

Regarding capacity, well, you can't miss fast enough to catch up. OTOH, if the bump in the night is a team of home invaders, six shots may not be enough.

Some will point out that a 6" gun will give a bad guy more leverage to use against you. Well, it also gives you more leverage against him. Leverage works both ways, so only a snubby revolver gives the defender a clear advantage.

If lying in wait for the bad guy(s), which is generally the wisest choice, BOTH handguns will be there, so it really doesn't matter which one is in the hands. Pick the one you shoot best.

FWIW, I hunt for bad guys in the dark as part of my big-city night shift police patrol job. Anywhere I go, a P229 and a .357 snubby go. If there is time, I like to have a second P229 along, or a long weapon. None of this "pick one" stuff; take two, and try to bring three.
    Last edited by Rexster; April 18th, 2009 at 06:30 PM. Reason: clarity/grammar errors

you forgot one option...Grab both. Remember 2 is 1 and 1 is none.
    God invented cops so that firemen could have heroes too!

I often sleep next to, and am comfortable with, a 686+. Mine has a 2-1/2" barrel and does not have ports.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Regarding grabbing two, consider keeping a carry system handily available. A stiff nylon duty-type belt, with a holster and spare ammo, that fastens with something like a Fastex buckle, can be kept under the bed, if there is no room inside the safe. This will hold one weapon while one's hands hold the other weapon and your FLASHLIGHT.

Good idea Rexter. Grabbing one gun in each hand sounds like a really bad idea, especially since a powerful illumination tool (okay, okay, 'flashlight') is a MUST for HD.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links