Fusion Scout 9mm: A gunsmithing project (dial-up beware!)
Back in December, my g/f and I settled on a mutual Christmas present: a 9mm 1911 kit from Fusion Firearms. It would be our ESP gun for IDPA matches and it would be my own 1911 gunsmithing project. In fact, it turned out to be a good thing we got it as a kit; the STI 1911 frame that the gun is based on is on the MD approved firearms list, but no completed Fusions are. :irked:
It took until February to get all the parts, then sometime in March I finally got around to ordering the files and stones I needed to fit things together. Well, earlier today I just did the final assembly prior to test firing. It still needs to go back to Fusion for function checking and coating, but it will get a couple rounds put through it tomorrow to see how well it works. :hand10:
So, without further ado, the before...
...and the after.
The second 'before' picture, the close-up, is all the parts that needed work. The sear stop surface on the thumb safety needed about three different surfaces ground to get it to engage properly. The ejector tab needed a good bit filed off the bottom to allow enough travel room for the mag to seat. The other parts were just minor fitting jobs.
Overall, the work went well, I think, though I did manage to turn my ambi safety into a regular safety---I overground the slot on the right-hand safety lever axle. It is loose enough not to turn well with the rest of the safety, so I left it off the final assembly.
The grips, by the way, are black paper micarta gatorback from VZ Grips. The bobtail was fitted at the factory by Fusion.
Enjoy! More pics when I get it finished...