Fusion Scout 9mm: A gunsmithing project (dial-up beware!)

This is a discussion on Fusion Scout 9mm: A gunsmithing project (dial-up beware!) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Back in December, my g/f and I settled on a mutual Christmas present: a 9mm 1911 kit from Fusion Firearms . It would be our ...

Thread: Fusion Scout 9mm: A gunsmithing project (dial-up beware!)

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar

Back in December, my g/f and I settled on a mutual Christmas present: a 9mm 1911 kit from Fusion Firearms. It would be our ESP gun for IDPA matches and it would be my own 1911 gunsmithing project. In fact, it turned out to be a good thing we got it as a kit; the STI 1911 frame that the gun is based on is on the MD approved firearms list, but no completed Fusions are.

It took until February to get all the parts, then sometime in March I finally got around to ordering the files and stones I needed to fit things together. Well, earlier today I just did the final assembly prior to test firing. It still needs to go back to Fusion for function checking and coating, but it will get a couple rounds put through it tomorrow to see how well it works.

So, without further ado, the before...

...and the after.

The second 'before' picture, the close-up, is all the parts that needed work. The sear stop surface on the thumb safety needed about three different surfaces ground to get it to engage properly. The ejector tab needed a good bit filed off the bottom to allow enough travel room for the mag to seat. The other parts were just minor fitting jobs.

Overall, the work went well, I think, though I did manage to turn my ambi safety into a regular safety---I overground the slot on the right-hand safety lever axle. It is loose enough not to turn well with the rest of the safety, so I left it off the final assembly.

The grips, by the way, are black paper micarta gatorback from VZ Grips. The bobtail was fitted at the factory by Fusion.

Enjoy! More pics when I get it finished...
    Last edited by kazzaerexys; April 18th, 2009 at 10:24 PM.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

I really wish I could see your pictures, sounds like a fun project.
    Wreck'em Tech! Go Red Raiders!

I have the Signess!

Sig Sauer P225 Montage Suisse / Sig Sauer P238 / Sig Sauer P226 9mm CPO / S&W M&P9c

They are showing up when I look at the thread. Let me tinker...

Any better now?
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

I can see them.

I've recently gotten on a 1911 kick (well, it's actually more of a quest since I'm having trouble finding any around here at a decent price.) I can't even imagine the fun it must be to shoot a tight group with a gun you built yourself as opposed to an "off the rack" 1911.

Beautiful gun, by the way.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    They are showing up when I look at the thread. Let me tinker...

Any better now?
    Sweet! They're working for me now, I wanted something to drool over thanks!
    Wreck'em Tech! Go Red Raiders!

I have the Signess!

Sig Sauer P225 Montage Suisse / Sig Sauer P238 / Sig Sauer P226 9mm CPO / S&W M&P9c

That's pretty cool. Not a 1911 fan, but sounds like it would be a fun project.
    -Cody-

HK USP Tactical 45
    HK P2000SK .40, LEM, Night Sights

That's great. I love this kind of stuff... I just may have found something to do next winter besides putting together r/c airplanes for me to crash.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Well, I got it to the range yesterday to try it out. The trigger felt nice, it seems pretty accurate, every round I chambered went off...and the extractor grabs like a drunken muppet wearing two sets of mittens. That is to say, it doesn't grab much at all...

Okay, not entirely surprising since as shipped the extractor had absolutely no bend to it whatsoever. Guess my next lesson is in extractor tuning!

what a beautiful piece
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

Sponsored Links