Revolver w/bobbed hammer,should you test fire after its done?

This is a discussion on Revolver w/bobbed hammer,should you test fire after its done? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just picked up my colt cobra from my gunsmith after he bobbed the hammer for me. My question is should I test fire the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I just picked up my colt cobra from my gunsmith after he bobbed the hammer for me. My question is should I test fire the gun before carrying it again? I ask as I've heard that sometimes a bobbed hammer doesn't retain enough mass to ensure reliable ignition. My gunsmith said if the gun is in proper mechanical condition and working(which my gun is) order this isn't an issue,is this the case?

By the way my smith has been doing this 30 years and he did a great job to,so am I good to go here guys?

Yes you absolutely should test it out before relying on it. If it fails to fire though it won't be because the hammer was bobbed. Lowering the mass of the hammer does not reduce the energy it imparts to the firing pin. That's a matter of spring power. I have bobbed many hammers and unless the springs are changed it makes no difference. So unless your smith changed the springs you should be GTG. But verify as Reagan liked to say.

I know on the old S&W revolvers with the firing pin fixed to the hammer, you can cut too much mass off and get some mis-fires. Definately verify function before relying on the gun after ANY work is done it.

drail no springs were changed and I'v shot this gun many times before the hammer was bobbed this week. So are you saying I'm good to go given the gun has been shot and worked fine prior to this modification being done and no springs were changed,theres no reason it shouldn't work

VIP Member
    You're looking for a excuse to NOT go out and blast off a few rounds?????????????

CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Administrator
    I would say that you are still good to go - with only the hammer bobbed and nothing else changed on your revolver.
    Especially since the hammer springs on Colt wheelguns are slightly heavier poundage than they need to be to insure reliable ignition anyway.

I'd trust your long time gun-smith on this one.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Moderator
    Ditto what QKShooter said, plus the gunsmith may have tested the hammer strike for reliability.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

I'd test fire any SD gun after having any work done on it. I just can't think of any reason not to......
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

When in doubt........test it. You don't sound sure, although it is very likely going to to BANG just like it should, no reason to leave a doubt hanging.
    Be prepared

test fire the gun, that way you feel good. the bobbing of the hammer with not effect anything. i have put in bobbed hammers in all of my j-frames. at one time you could buy a factory bobbed hammer.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I would say that you are still good to go - with only the hammer bobbed and nothing else changed on your revolver.
    Especially since the hammer springs on Colt wheelguns are slightly heavier poundage than they need to be to insure reliable ignition anyway.

I'd trust your long time gun-smith on this one.
    I agree, but wouldn't you want to give her a couple of 'blasts' just to see???????
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Thanks guys I think I'll shoot her just for the heck of it,although I'm 99% sure theres no reason it won't go bang. Any reason to shoot is a good one I guess,as a side note I learned my cobra uses a leaf spring and not a coil spring i thought that was cool.

Administrator
    Oh...absolutely.
    My only point being that a lightened/bobbed hammer is only ever problematic coupled with an overly light hammer spring. Since he is staying with the original hammer spring weight he would be good to go.
    I think the hammer spring on a Colt Cobra wheelie can be reduced down past 9# but, I sure would not do that in combination with bobbed hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I agree, but wouldn't you want to give her a couple of 'blasts' just to see???????

Hey guys I juat hit the range and put a few cylinders through my cobra. I used and assortment of federal,winchester and magtech ammo. All went bang with no issues and the primers all had consistant,deep indentations from the firing pin. I would have shot more but I'm on a short lunch today at work.

So I think all is well being this gun has had a lot of rounds through it. I gotta say I'm really impressed my smith did a really nice job bobbing the hammer on this gun. Its looks like it came from colt like this. I'll post some pics when I get home today.

Administrator
    I'd trust the smith, but whats wrong with just making sure? Go ahead, set your mind at ease.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links