How Many Rounds Do You Shoot Through Your Carry Gun

This is a discussion on How Many Rounds Do You Shoot Through Your Carry Gun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As a avid pistol shooter and CCH license holder I was wondering how many rounds do you shoot threw your competition gun verse your carry ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Many Rounds Do You Shoot Through Your Carry Gun

How Many Rounds Do You Shoot Through Your Carry Gun

As a avid pistol shooter and CCH license holder I was wondering how many rounds do you shoot threw your competition gun verse your carry gun

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    I dont have a competition gun, but in the 26 years my family has had one firearm....which has been shot every range trip I would estimiate.....well over 25,000 rounds.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

I don't have a competition pice either, but have shot perhaps 1000 rounds through my CC .40 cal/ Sorry couldn't resist.

I shoot about 100 rounds of reloads a month thru my CCW,and about 1000 rounds a month total centerfire pistol
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

For my primary carry gun, I shot 1000 rds through it to prove its basic reliability, went up to ~1800 before sending it to the gunsmith for a reliability tuning and action job to set the weight of the trigger pull. At nearly 4000 rds, it's perfect now. On a prior carry gun, I'd put 10000 rds through it in the first year and over 20000 prior to carrying it daily.

Have always used my carry guns in any IPSC/IDPA competition I have done, as a matter of course. Figured it's one of the better ways to ensure I'm tuning my reactions toward my carry gun's handling.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I carry a Glock 19 which was purchased new and has about 1,500 rounds through it with only one user-induced stovepipe. I shoot it once or twice a month just to keep on top of my draw and flash sight picture. I've done most of my defensive pistol training with this weapon.

I compete with a Glock 17 which was purchased used (supposedly around 100 rounds through it) and I've probably run another 1,000-1,500 rounds through it. Runs like a champ and sees action one to two times per week. It's a bone-stock gun with steel night sights on it. Over the next year I'll work it into a Production/Limited gun for IPSC and gun club league competition.

Being new to both CCW carry and handgun competition, both of my gals are still pretty new but I'm expecting both to wind up in the hands of my kids (which haven't yet been born) at some point down the road with tens of thousands of rounds down the pipe. The G17 may not look the same, but it'll still be that little 'ol Glock I bought to run the leagues with.

comp/range guns get more rounds than my carry guns and duty guns. and with the ammo problems the only guns to get ammo is the duty guns.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

My carry gun is my competition gun. It's the one my life may depend on, so why spend a lot of time practicing with anything else?

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I compete with my carry guns, my 1911's see all the action. I have around 2-3k rounds through them. All are extremely dependable or I wont carry them.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    My carry gun is my competition gun. It's the one my life may depend on, so why spend a lot of time practicing with anything else?
    +1

I typically shoot 40-50,000 rounds per year through my carry gun, though lately that has increased because of specific projects. In '08 I fired 68,401 rounds total through two M&P9 pistols plus approximately another 1,000 between my two BUGs (a 442 and LCP).
    Train Hard, Stay Safe!
    Todd Louis Green
    pistol-training.com

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    +1

I typically shoot 40-50,000 rounds per year through my carry gun, though lately that has increased because of specific projects. In '08 I fired 68,401 rounds total through two M&P9 pistols plus approximately another 1,000 between my two BUGs (a 442 and LCP).
    Where do you get that kind of cash? I absolutely love to shoot, but can only afford about 200 rds. per month. 50,000 rds. a year is some serious dough.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

My wife and I both shoot approx. 100 rds/week, each with our carry guns.
    Be Safe,
    Chuck

My carry guns get a workout every time I go out shooting. They each get at least 100 rounds. This occurs every week or two, weather permitting. I don't compete, but that is something that I would like to start doing soon. I would use the Wilson (primary CCW).
    "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

I compete and carry the same gun, A Glock 19. I shoot it about 400 rounds a week.

Usually about 300 rounds every couple of months or when I have time to get to the range. (GLOCK 23)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links