Guns Stores are Marking Prices Up

This is a discussion on Guns Stores are Marking Prices Up within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm Looking for a .22lr hand gun just for practice and fun. I could not believe the price mark ups in some of the store's. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I'm Looking for a .22lr hand gun just for practice and fun. I could not believe the price mark ups in some of the store's. One store I went to had a Walther .22, Used for $450. I could get a used Glock for that price. You should have seen the price tags on the other guns. I just thought the prices for the .22,s went up, but it was everything in the store that had raised. That is not the only gun shop that I went to that had high price guns.I can't figure it out. The price on the Walther web site said it retails for $300 something bucks. I would have bought ammo for my .38 special, but it was too expensive. So I went to Wally world. I got the last box! I just get angry at how greedy some people can be!!

I just bought a .40 and of course there was no ammo at WM. A friend turned me on to the Ace Hardware so I stopped in.

Blazer is $17.95 for 50 and Magtech HP's are $18.95 for $20.

I guess thats bad but Im thinking it wont break me yet.

Guns are a different story. Yes, they are marked up but the deals are still out there if you shop enough.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tom1965 View Post
    I just get angry at how greedy some people can be!!
    It's called supply and demand. You have a choice, don't buy the gun. Wait until two years from now when the market has flooded with firearms and the buyer panic has subsided and they can't give a gun away.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post
    It's called supply and demand. You have a choice, don't buy the gun. Wait until two years from now when the market has flooded with firearms and the buyer panic has subsided and they can't give a gun away.
    I know, and I chose not to buy it.

That is just simple economics. Gun stores will only charge what people are willing to pay. With the same supply and increased demand the prices will increase. When this scare comes to an end and the demand is no longer there, the prices will fall again. Just be patient on the guns. Ammo on the other hand, we just have to "bite the bullet" (pun intended, haha) for now until people quit hoarding it and supply catches up with demand.

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post
    Yup.
    I don't believe it will take two years though.
    I am already hearing from a lot of shooting buddies, (and I feel this way myself) that empty shelves due to panic buying are one thing, supply-side price gouging is another.
    Yes it is part of the free market system. Conversely, if the buying frenzy stops, the manufacturers will 'catch up' and the prices will come back down.
    I was looking to pick up a brick of .22lr for my wife and daughter (okay and me ) to shoot and IF you can find it it is running $40!
    It wasn't that long ago that $15 was common and you could find it for less. I can understand a price increase, but almost triple!!!!???
    Those are black market prices!

I shoot several thousand rounds of cowboy action every year and reload my own, but right now you can't even find primers (let alone the going price on bullets), due to people buying them 10thousand at a time just to stockpile. I used to buy them a thousand at a time, no problem. Now if you can buy 2thou, you better do it, because next time you need them, you might be sucking wind. That leaves the next guy coming through the door looking to buy a thousand in the same boat. It's like a snake eatin' it's tail!

I think we'll have to shoot more airsoft until this blows over.
    This is the law;
    The purpose of fighting is to win.
    There is no possible victory in defense.
    The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either.
    The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental. - John Steinbeck

Quote Originally Posted by ImaShepardRU View Post
    I am already hearing from a lot of shooting buddies, (and I feel this way myself) that empty shelves due to panic buying are one thing, supply-side price gouging is another.
    Yes it is part of the free market system. Conversely, if the buying frenzy stops, the manufacturers will 'catch up' and the prices will come back down.
    There is no such thing as supply-side price gouging in a free market with multiple suppliers providing the raw materials and multiple manufacturers.

This isn't food or water and there is only one supplier on the island holding out until you pay prime dollar or starve.

The prices are what the market bares. If you don't like the prices then don't pay them, end of story. It sucks, I'd love to get an AR but I don't see that happening any time soon. Or maybe ever for that matter if some folks get their wish by reinstating the AWB.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

I was talking to the owner of one of the gun stores here in Wichita. He was telling me that his suppliers are raising the prices he pays for everything, so he has no choice but to pass that along to the consumer.
    One example was my HK USP 45 compact that I purchased new from him. He quoted me a price, I paid that price, but he told me that it's going to cost him $75 more to buy that same gun to replace the one I bought.

It's gettin' crazy out there.
    Be Safe,
    Chuck

I found some .45 ACP at a local gun shop yesterday. WWB 100 round packs... $50!
    "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

It is free market at its finest. We have the choice as consumers to buy or not at certain prices. I, for one, will not be buying at ridiculous prices. I am willing to sacrifice my shooting habit by not purchasing at inflated prices. I would encourage you to do the same. Pretty soon, if enough people boycott the high prices of ammo, the prices will go down. I imagine low availability of ammo will slow down gun sales, too. If I never buy another firearm or round of ammo again, it will be sad, but so be it. I refuse to be a sucker.

I purchased a new Sig Mosquito three months ago at Cabela's for $329.00. I saw a used one for $450.00 at a different store yesterday. MSRP for this model is $375.00.

Quote Originally Posted by alfack View Post
    I, for one, will not be buying
    Yes! And more of you should stop buying too so there is more for me. Especially .357, .38, .44, and .40.

Thanks

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by tom1965 View Post
    I'm Looking for a .22lr hand gun just for practice and fun. I could not believe the price mark ups in some of the store's. One store I went to had a Walther .22, Used for $450. I could get a used Glock for that price. You should have seen the price tags on the other guns. I just thought the prices for the .22,s went up, but it was everything in the store that had raised. That is not the only gun shop that I went to that had high price guns.I can't figure it out. The price on the Walther web site said it retails for $300 something bucks. I would have bought ammo for my .38 special, but it was too expensive. So I went to Wally world. I got the last box! I just get angry at how greedy some people can be!!
    If you will go to Guns for Sale, you can find a Walther P22, NIB, $311.00.....I always bump my local prices against Buds and sometimes others and will give my local an opportunity to match prices. If he doesn't, oh well, the Eagle can fly in any direction I send it!
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

yes they have. some have went very high and others not so. the ones that went high have lost me. i will not go into their stores again.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    I love my local fun shop
    I've picked out my next gun, retail price $932.00, price at my fun shop $749.00, and the first one in the door has my name on it already. Included with the purchase of a firearm is a 6 month range membership with reduce rates, on the days they actually remember to charge me a range fee.
    There was a misunderstanding between a customer and the shop on another forum, I stepped in and made a phone call to the shop, found out what happened, got everyone on the same page and feelings soothed. Since then, the owner and employees have been extremely generous to me.
    Top notch people and good prices are the best way to run a business and these people are doing a great job.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links