Defensive Carry banner

Guns Stores are Marking Prices Up

2K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  obxned 
#1 ·
I'm Looking for a .22lr hand gun just for practice and fun. I could not believe the price mark ups in some of the store's. One store I went to had a Walther .22, Used for $450. I could get a used Glock for that price. You should have seen the price tags on the other guns. I just thought the prices for the .22,s went up, but it was everything in the store that had raised. That is not the only gun shop that I went to that had high price guns.I can't figure it out. The price on the Walther web site said it retails for $300 something bucks. I would have bought ammo for my .38 special, but it was too expensive. So I went to Wally world. I got the last box! I just get angry at how greedy some people can be!!:aargh4:

#2 ·
I just bought a .40 and of course there was no ammo at WM. A friend turned me on to the Ace Hardware so I stopped in.

Blazer is $17.95 for 50 and Magtech HP's are $18.95 for $20.

I guess thats bad but Im thinking it wont break me yet.

Guns are a different story. Yes, they are marked up but the deals are still out there if you shop enough.

#3 ·
I just get angry at how greedy some people can be!!:aargh4:
It's called supply and demand. You have a choice, don't buy the gun. Wait until two years from now when the market has flooded with firearms and the buyer panic has subsided and they can't give a gun away.

#5 ·
That is just simple economics. Gun stores will only charge what people are willing to pay. With the same supply and increased demand the prices will increase. When this scare comes to an end and the demand is no longer there, the prices will fall again. Just be patient on the guns. Ammo on the other hand, we just have to "bite the bullet" (pun intended, haha) for now until people quit hoarding it and supply catches up with demand.

#8 ·
I was talking to the owner of one of the gun stores here in Wichita. He was telling me that his suppliers are raising the prices he pays for everything, so he has no choice but to pass that along to the consumer.
One example was my HK USP 45 compact that I purchased new from him. He quoted me a price, I paid that price, but he told me that it's going to cost him $75 more to buy that same gun to replace the one I bought.

It's gettin' crazy out there.

#10 ·
It is free market at its finest. We have the choice as consumers to buy or not at certain prices. I, for one, will not be buying at ridiculous prices. I am willing to sacrifice my shooting habit by not purchasing at inflated prices. I would encourage you to do the same. Pretty soon, if enough people boycott the high prices of ammo, the prices will go down. I imagine low availability of ammo will slow down gun sales, too. If I never buy another firearm or round of ammo again, it will be sad, but so be it. I refuse to be a sucker.

#12 ·
I, for one, will not be buying
Yes! And more of you should stop buying too so there is more for me. Especially .357, .38, .44, and .40.

Thanks

#13 ·
If you will go to Guns for Sale, you can find a Walther P22, NIB, $311.00.....I always bump my local prices against Buds and sometimes others and will give my local an opportunity to match prices. If he doesn't, oh well, the Eagle can fly in any direction I send it!

#15 ·
I love my local fun shop:yup:
I've picked out my next gun, retail price $932.00, price at my fun shop $749.00, and the first one in the door has my name on it already. Included with the purchase of a firearm is a 6 month range membership with reduce rates, on the days they actually remember to charge me a range fee.
There was a misunderstanding between a customer and the shop on another forum, I stepped in and made a phone call to the shop, found out what happened, got everyone on the same page and feelings soothed. Since then, the owner and employees have been extremely generous to me.
Top notch people and good prices are the best way to run a business and these people are doing a great job.

#16 ·
I've watched the price of some of the items I've had my eye on go up since last spring when it was obvious that the Messiah was a sure thing. On the pistols and revolvers, I guess I've seen an average of $50 increase on each gun.

I don't need anything, but I sure want some other stuff. I'll wait till the price starts getting back to normal.

#18 ·
Your local dealer has a choice: nothing to sell at the normal price or a few pieces at stupid money. Perhaps he should just shut his doors for the next 6 months to several years and see what happens with prices.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.