This week is "Students for Concealed Carry on Campus" Empty Holster Protest

This is a discussion on This week is "Students for Concealed Carry on Campus" Empty Holster Protest within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This week Students for Concealed Carry on Campus is having a nationwide Empty Holster Protest My girlfriend attends the University of Akron. She said she ...

This week Students for Concealed Carry on Campus is having a nationwide Empty Holster Protest

My girlfriend attends the University of Akron. She said she hasn't seen anyone else wearing an empty holster, but hers has attracted some attention.

She sent me this email this morning

I walked into ASL this morning carrying my holster on my hip. *My friend melissa pointed to the holster and asked what it was. *I just said, "An empty holster" hoping that my*vagueness*would prompt questions, and it did. *Another kid in my class asked me why I was carrying it. *I told him that we are protesting the fact that we can't conceal carry on college campuses. *In light of college shootings it signifies how defenseless we are on our campuses. *By this time I had about six people listening in. *Someone else said that if we didn't have guns, there wouldn't be a problem. *I pulled out the "when guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns" argument. *I asked her where she thought criminals got their guns. *Did she believe that they walked into a store and legally purchased and registered them? *(This was the girl that wouldn't listen) *Another girl said "oh, that's a good point. *I never thought of that". *I further stated that in the case of college shootings where there are multiple people killed/injured, everyone is a sitting duck. *If concealed carry was allowed on campuses, there could have been someone there to stop or slow the shooter down. *Melissa said "well, what about the police?" I also stated that police response times average between three to seven minutes. *A lot can happen in that time and that is assuming that the police can get to wherever the shooter may be. *(It was here that I used the example of my family pretending to break in and I called the police. *It took the officer a solid ten minutes to get to my house. *If it had been a true intruder, I would have been dead). *Then the girl who was not listening asked me "Well, if everyone is carrying a gun then when people get angry they're going to pull it out and use it" *I just looked at her and said "Law-abiding citizens who have their licenses are conceal carrying elsewhere now. *These types of things haven't happened. *What makes a college campus any different than another public place?" *She just muttered her "well guns kill people" comment and walked away. *Others were like, "that's cool" and I had one person ask me more. *I gave him the website. * I was so excited! *I hope people ask questions at class tonight.
    I'm very proud of her. Usually she is very quiet and shy. She didn't want to wear a holster at first.

If your a college student, wear an empty holster this week and spread the word.
    Last edited by dsee11789; April 21st, 2009 at 11:38 PM.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

I did it last semester. With graduating and finals it was just to crazy.

I work at a university...I'd probably get fired, but I'll have to keep an eye out and see if I can spot anyone with one.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by dsee11789 View Post
    I'm very proud of her.
    Looks like she did good and enjoyed it.
    About the only thing she missed was to let the girl know that 'Guns don't kill people, people kill people'.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

BEFORE you go wearing the holster for the protest, be sure and check with your Campus Coordinator (if you have one, if not then consider filling the role) and/or the School Administration to be sure that the faculty and staff (and security) are aware of the "Silent Protest". That is the safest way to go about it, IMO.

With as many overly sensitive individuals as there seem to be in Colleges nowadays, it would really stink to get jacked up on account of your peaceful protest.

HEADLINE: STUDENT SUSPENDED/ARRESTED FOR SPORTING A WEAPON HOLSTER AND FRIGHTENING STUDENTS/TEACHERS.

...you get my drift. Not in any way discouraging you, quite the opposite. Just wanna make sure you have the most successful day possible.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." ~Thomas Jefferson~

"...Be not ye afraid of them: remember the LORD, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses." ~Nehemiah 4:14~

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    I can see everyones point, but sadly just talking to the admins now about your protest could get you "jacked". Its happened already need I refresh peoples memories?
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

I jumped though so many loops last protest that I just didn't have the time to do it again this time. At least in my school there is no dress code and since its not actually a weapon they cant legally do anything, but you will go through hell making your case.

I would, but this just seems like a great way to get the cops called on me.

OP - Sounds like she did a great job! I'm not one to get on a soapbox, but......
    When did we as Americans feel the need to cower over the issue of simply wearing a leather holster WITH NO WEAPON in it? Geeze, have we fallen that far into the abyss of the anti gun rhetoric that we're worried about people causing a fuss over something that is perfectly legal to do? I'm not angry, I'm just genuinely shocked. The points made by this young lady are perfectly justified and it was the empty holster that opened the discussion and reached people with ideas other than those force fed to them by the media. Probably for the first time ever. I say she did well, and is a great example for others to follow. Want to lose your rights quickly? Try not using them for a while and see how they fade into obscurity and myth.
    Sarge
    Sarge's Grips - grips that fit
    www.thefinergrain.com

Haven't seen anyone with a holster on here at USC.

That's awesome man. I love the guns kill people comment. Some people just don't know how to think for themselves, they just say what the media tells them.
    -Cody-

HK USP Tactical 45
    HK P2000SK .40, LEM, Night Sights

Links