Where Do You Aim on a Sillouette Target?

This is a discussion on Where Do You Aim on a Sillouette Target? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; When practicing for SD and using a sillouette target, please provide answers to the following questions: 1. what is your normal practice distance (minimum and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where Do You Aim on a Sillouette Target?

Where Do You Aim on a Sillouette Target?

When practicing for SD and using a sillouette target, please provide answers to the following questions:

1. what is your normal practice distance (minimum and maximum) and why?

2. do you shoot both stationary and moving and why?

3. where in particular do you target (what part of the body on the sillouette) i.e. COM, Heart, Occular/Brain, Bones , and why?
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member

3-7 yards mostly, since it is statistically what is recognized as the range of most SD shootings.

Stationary, since the range I use does not allow moving shooting.

3. where in particular do you target (what part of the body on the sillouette) i.e. COM, Heart, Occular/Brain, Bones , and why?

COM since it provides the largest target area, and in a defensive shooting situation it is where I will place my shoots. I do practice a few head shots on each trip though to keep in practice, however COM is where I concentrate the most time.

Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    When practicing for SD and using a sillouette target, please provide answers to the following questions:

https://fortress.wa.gov/cjtc/www/for...curity/729.pdf
    x 2 per visit to the range.

I run a variety of other drills depending on time constraints, usually between 7 and 25 yards.

Primarily stationary. The range I am a member at does not allow (as they do not have space for) moving fire due to the volume of shooters they serve.

COM mostly - it's how I get scored when I qualify.
    Law Enforcement Targets, Inc.: WA CRIM JST COMM BLEA-1 TARGET
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post

3-7 yards mostly, since it is statistically what is recognized as the range of most SD shootings.

Stationary, since the range I use does not allow moving shooting.

COM since it provides the largest target area, and in a defensive shooting situation it is where I will place my shoots. I do practice a few head shots on each trip though to keep in practice, however COM is where I concentrate the most time.
    +1 to all, however I do practice at longer distances also just in case I have to take a longer then normal shot.
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

1. 12 feet because I feel that anything further than that is unlikely in a robbery or self defense situation.
    2. Stationary only until I have access to an outdoor range.
    3. I only aim at the center mass of the target. (breadbasket region)

I guess I should answer my own questions.

1. My normal practice distance is 5-20 feet. I do some retention about once a month. I think anything further than 20 feet will hopefully give me an opportunity to avoid the confrontation.

2. I shoot both stationary and moving. Stationary practice allows me to practice as if using cover/concealment with an unconventional stance or just to warm up and build my placement confidence. If I shoot truly standing/stationary, then I use the Allen Dots, which I draw on the sillouette, for concentration and focus of aim and triger control.

3. I concentrate on hitting an area about 4 in. x 8 in. (heart) located between an imaginary line drawn from nipple to nipple. If I'm off high I will get a throat/head shot, if I'm off low I will get a COM shot, and if I'm off right or left I potentially have a bone'shoulder shot. I do also practice Occular/brain shots as well.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

I know that I am not really answering your question, but I have largely stopped using silhouette targets because I think it is more effective to practice to hit smaller targets that represent the COM area and the ocular & brain areas. I typically use multiple 4 inch targets tacked on to a piece of cardboard and concentrate on getting multiple hits on each and transitioning between multiple targets.

I moved to this Point of View based on things I have read from Jim Vickers (Former Special Forces) and and Andy Stanford (Author of Surgical Sped Shooting) practicing to hit smaller targets will improve your shooting and given that you will never be as accurate in a stressful situation as your are at the range. I think I am shooting better since I moved to this type of practice. I wish I could more regularly shoot at moving targets and shoot on the move but my range does not allow this outside of IDPA practice nights.

I do 5-10 yards COM when using the B27. I hate to see that perfect black head so I do save a few shots or more for that 15 yard head shot.
    oldogy
    Government is out of control
    "If gun laws in fact worked, the sponsors of this type of legislation should have no difficulty drawing upon long lists of examples of crime rates reduced by such legislation. That they cannot do so after a century and a half of trying -- " Sen Orrin G. Hatch

What First Sgt said, couldn't say it better

Anywhere from 3-10 yards.

I usually mix it up with a variety of scenarios stationary, moving, standing kneeling. I also spend some time on malfunction drills.

I make 2-3 shot groups, Mozambique drills and double/triple taps, usually switching between targets, sometimes in motion to cover.

These days I don't have the Ammo to burn for many training sessions though. Thanks NOBAMA!!!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    ----------------------------------
    "Let a man never stir on his road a step
    without his weapons of war;
    for unsure is the knowing when need shall arise
    of a spear on the way without."

Aiming at three to seven yards...center of mass.

Our range has a series of moving metal targets and also allows drawing from retention.

I have had a couple of classes where targets (in dim light) were moving across the front of the range...certainly enhances the difficulties...also multiple moving targets (back to front) at different speeds...a bit of a challenge.

Anything to help with reality.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Mostly 0-5 yards, though I'll get out to 25 on occasion.

Both. All realistic shooting drills require getting off the X. If it's close range, get off the X and keep moving. If it's too far to shoot on the move, get off the X, plant, fire a burst, then get moving again.

Mostly the golden triangle (heart/lung area) with the occasional cranio-ocular shot mixed in as part of either a hostage shot or failure to stop drill.

kpw

3 feet to 25 yds, usually. I do like to take it out to 200 yds on occasion. Mostly for fun but it's nice to know I have a chance (slim as it might be) at distance if needed. Did I mention that it's fun?

Indoors, stationary, no choice. Outdoors, both when possible.

COM, COH, pelvic region. They are effective areas and I can use more of the target before changing out.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    1.There is only one public range here, and they only have 25yards 50yards, and 100yards target setups. So sadly I shoot only those distances.
    2.Stationary only.
    3.I mostly aim COM, but sometimes try specific targeting, such as the head.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TerriLi View Post
    1.There is only one public range here, and they only have 25yards 50yards, and 100yards target setups. So sadly I shoot only those distances.
    2.Stationary only.
    3.I mostly aim COM, but sometimes try specific targeting, such as the head.

Same here. We can move closer as far as range though, I usually do the 5 to 10 yards distance. Stationary also. Com with practice at the other targets here and there for S & Gs.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links