How old were you when you......

This is a discussion on How old were you when you...... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm with borica, my Mom hated guns so there weren't any around. Didn't start shooting until I had a full time job and moved out ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How old were you when you......

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    I'm with borica, my Mom hated guns so there weren't any around. Didn't start shooting until I had a full time job and moved out of the house after I graduated from college.

But, I guess I've been making up for lost time ever since! Especially lately.

2. Remove Ads

I didn't have my own firearm until I was in married and in my mid-20's.
    My first purchase was a H&R 9-shot .22LR pistol.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Same here. Didn't own a gun until my mid to late 20's. Went shooting before I was married and fell in love with the sport. After I was married my brother-in-law and I purchased Ruger Security-Six revolvers in .357 magnum. We both still have them. Can't remember what I paid, it was back in the late 70's, but they're worth at least double if I remember correctly.

I'm looking for a .22 for my son right now. He'll be 8 next month. I think the earlier you start the more you respect it.
    "You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." - Admiral Yamamoto

.22 not sure how old. My father had to help hold it because it was too heavy. I'm guessing six or seven.

20s.

My fault. When I was younger, I was just into other hobbies. Spent most of my time with paper route, paint ball, video games, the scouts, swimming, and baseball.

In a way, my parents felt I had no need for a firearm. I avoided hunting because I wanted to stay home with older brothers. At the time, I just enjoyed the freedom of no parents for a few weeks. Plus I had a daily paper route.

I had expressed interest in a local club's jr. marksman classes, but as with any child, I was often full of want, when a household only has so much time and funds.

Last November I spent two weeks hunting with my hunting buddy, my 70 year old mom. I guess I came around.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Single shot .22 at 8 years old, still have it 46 years later.

Single shot BB gun when I was 3. Single shot 22 when I was 5. Told to shoot Rabbits and Ground Squirrels for the pot. Everybody had to help gather some sort of food. Reservation living is different then what most people are used to.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Started shooting a 7 with my dags Sig 226. Then a year later, my own .22 rifle. A few years after that when my dad thought the rifle wouldnt knock me over with recoil the SMLE. Needless to say I didnt fire that one but twice till I doubled my weight almost 7 years after that.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Daisy Red Ryder at 6 - .410 at 7 - my dad was a shotgunner / bird hunter -- didn't get a .22 until I was 10. At that time I was reloading my own 12 gauge for my Remington 870.
    "A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." TR 1913

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." TR 1903

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    I'm pretty sure I was 11 yo when my Dad got me a Remington .22 auto. I've never been without some kind of firearm ever since.

I'm another "late bloomer" when it comes to firing my first firearm. I first fired pistols & rifles while I was in the USAF.

Our home did not have guns in it at all. Mom has been very anti-gun from as far back as I can remember.

When I was in the USAF .38's, M-16's, M-16's (.22) conversion. After the military I started buying my own guns.

I got a late start in shooting guns.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Daisy BB gun at age 13, I bought my very first rifle (a 1943 MosinNagant M91/30) at age 18, bought my first handgun (my lovely Sig P229R .40) for myself the day after I turned 21.

The rest is history...
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." ~Thomas Jefferson~

"...Be not ye afraid of them: remember the LORD, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses." ~Nehemiah 4:14~

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Late bloomer here too, I fired my first shot with a .22 rifle at the age of 12.
    Single shots were fun, but time consuming so I suggested switching to Mom's Browning Nomad pistol. That kept me amused for about 50 rounds or so, until I began to pester Dad about the pretty shiny Chief Special. He wasn't too keen on the idea, but I was able to persuade him to let me try it. Another 50 round later he decided I had enough for the first day at the range
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    I got a late start in life, I didn't own my first weapon until I was about 28, I really didn't need one, I had a whole armory full of weapons. It was a Ultra Compact Kimber. Oh well, I've never looked back. I have what I want and need in my view, so it's all good.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links