How old were you when you...... - Page 3

How old were you when you......

This is a discussion on How old were you when you...... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; air-rifles at 5 or 6 .22 rifle, .32 revolver at about 6-7 Got my first .22 at 12, first shotgun (16 gauge) and rifle (.30-30) ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How old were you when you......

air-rifles at 5 or 6
    .22 rifle, .32 revolver at about 6-7

Got my first .22 at 12, first shotgun (16 gauge) and rifle (.30-30) at 14, first handgun (.357) at 16. There were others in there, those ages are just when I got my "firsts."
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    i was about 8 shooting 22 got 1 gun every year sense i was 10
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

First time shooting was about age 7. My dad didn't own a gun, but never was against them. My uncle had a Remmington .22 auto and he and I went plinking. I was a terror to empty pop & beer cans! He graduated me to a .410 shotgun later on.

First gun I got was a Sears bolt action .22 for a Christmas present. Then Springfield 20ga pump for the next one. My dad, grandfathers and uncles were all hunters so I have been around firearms most of my 52 years.

Never fired a pistol until I bought a S&W 39 9mm in '82. Could go on but you get the picture.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Some really great stories! It really does bring back some good memories for me. It is something that I always enjoyed with my Dad. Those were some special times that I will always keep close to me.

My Father passed away March 8th after a short battle with Pancreatic cancer. About 3 weeks before he passed, he asked me when I was going to get my son shooting. I made a promise to him and told him I would get my son a .22 when he turned 10. My Father was one of the biggest supporters of the 2nd amendment that I have ever met. He was a Sgt. in the Army back in Vietnam and did two tours. He also CCW and was an NRA life member. Sorry, didn't mean to go off on a tangent, I just miss him a lot! He was my Dad and my best friend.

VIP Member
    The first gun I ever shot was a Ruger 10/22 at 12 years old with the BSA. My parents didn't have any guns, and still don't. I shot at a Boy Scout camp, and took first place in the event. Not too bad for a beginner huh

I started my 5 year old son with my 10/22 in October, 08 and he loves it. Safety is key with the young ones though. (and old guys too I guess)
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

.38 & 357 mags when I was 10
    Expecting a carjacker or rapist or drug pusher to care that his possession or use of a gun is unlawful is like expecting a terrorist to care that his car bomb is taking up two parking spaces.-Joseph T. Chew

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I was 17 years old when I fired my first handgun, which was my Dad's Ruger Redhawk .44 Magnum with a 6" barrel. The first shot I fired hit dead center on the target. My Dad and I both had to pick our jaws up off the ground LOL! Then my Dad bought me an old Remington pump action .22LR rifle, it likes to jam on me for some reason. Just before I turned 21 I bought my first long gun, a Remington 870 Express Magnum 12 gauge. I have been in love with firearms ever since.

As a kid I never had the chance to learn gun safety and how to shoot. My Mother being so anti-gun would not for any reason allow guns in the house. Better late than never as I always say though.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

My daddy was always in LE & I started with BB gun & remeber shooting somthing I was not too. I think glass bottle was no/no daddy wraped my bb gun around pine tree.Like the kid I was I cried. Got over & under 20ga./.22 had ever sence.I was 12
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

I was 7 or 8 when my dad first started to teach me how to shoot. But before I ever picked up a firearm there was considerable safety training involved.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

VIP Member
    I think around 11, with supervision.

I got my first BB gun around 8 years old. By the time I was 12 I was bow hunting on my own, and when I was 13 I began solo all day hunting trips with my .22 on my own. If my .22 was not my own rifle when I got it, I never knew it. I can say that I was taught safety well, and I never abused the privilege with I had been entrusted.

All of this was a long time ago. Things are different now. For a boy to have these solo privileges now, he likely would be branded a juvinile delinquent, and his dad would be thrown in jail.

I was six. Under my father's supervision I was using his G21. It's a nice starter gun.
    Life is about choices. One who chooses to attack without cause has also chosen to accept whatever defensive measures his target has readied. If this includes violence and death, so be it.

G26--->Supertuck

Norsca Air Rifle (12) Daisy Crossman Pistol (15) 9mm and .22 (31)
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    I could barely keep up with my dad while quail hunting. I carried a BB gun before he bought me a 20 ga single shot at 13 yrs. He bought me my 1st pistol at 18, an S&W mod 36 3" heavy barrel.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I first shot a .22 rifle while I was in the Boy Scouts at camp, age 12. I was given a .22 rifle for Christmas at age 16. I shot my first hand gun at age 29, when I bought a .357 revovler.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links