How old were you when you......

This is a discussion on How old were you when you...... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm gonna start my son next year when he turns 10. I will be purchasing him a .22 rifle (not sure which make or model). ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How old were you when you......

How old were you when you......

I'm gonna start my son next year when he turns 10. I will be purchasing him a .22 rifle (not sure which make or model). Of coarse this will be in my possession 99% of the time and he will have supervised range visits. I will turn it over to him when I think he's ready for the responsibility (most likely 21 year old).

How old were you when you first started shooting? I started when I was 8. I started with a 12 guage. Nice, right? LoL!

2. Remove Ads

Yeah...I think I received a Marlin Glenfield model 65c for my tenth birthday.

.22 rifle at 6 years old, .38 SA colt at 10, 20 ga shottie at 11.

I received a Benjamin Model 310 .177 rifle for my 11th birthday. Bought my own Winchester Model 190 .22 at 14.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

kpw
    My first "gun" was a Daisy for my 6th Bday. I started shooting .22s with my dad and uncles about a year later.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

I started too darn late; 21 y/o and it was an M16A1 in Basic Tng.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Quote Originally Posted by GLOCK23FAN View Post
    I'm gonna start my son next year when he turns 10. I will be purchasing him a .22 rifle (not sure which make or model). Of coarse this will be in my possession 99% of the time and he will have supervised range visits. I will turn it over to him when I think he's ready for the responsibility (most likely 21 year old).

How old were you when you first started shooting? I started when I was 8. I started with a 12 guage. Nice, right? LoL!
    My dad took me shooting with my mom and other relatives out to shoot when I was 8, and the first gun I shot was a .38special snub nosed S&W... I never shot a .22LR until I was about 14-15... before that it was the .38special and 9mm 92FS.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

I started at the age of 6 with a Daisy. Graduated to a .410 about 10. My parents weren't gun nuts like I am.
    "Manners are good when one may have to back up his actions with his life" Robert Heinlein"

Similar to others: about 8 for Daisy RR, then 10 for Crossman Pellet Gun, 12 - .410/ Ruger 10/22. Start em early teach em right.

I've started all my sons with my 10/22 and our little SigMosquito. My oldest 3 (16/14/13) now shoot USPSA with me with S&W M&P 9mm - great fun and practice.
    No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.

Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    I can't remember a time in my life when I didn't shoot. I grew up in southern California in the 60's and 70's and my father and I were out on the weekends in the desert or mountains with a
    4X4 and we always did some target shooting. So I can't give a specific age of when I started. Man I had a great childhood.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Cousins introduced me to the joys of a double-bbl 10ga shotgun ... at age 10. They thought it hilarious, but I struck the targets squarely and kept the love of shooting ever since.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I cant remember. Im going to guess around 5 or 6. .22 cal rifle and went up from there.

I started around 7 with a .22 revolver that I still have from there nothing but up.

I still have the .22 revolver and it has been pasted down to my now 13 y/o son and is on its why to my girls that are now 9 and 8....I may pick up another one.

I was given my first BB gun at the age of 11, which was also the age at which I started hunting, using a 20GA and a .35 Remington.

Wait...you're going to give your child his first .22 at 21? He'll probably have several ARs by then, lol.

I started hunting about age 12. My first rifle was a Remington 700 in .243.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links